Made it out to 1200 yds

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
Last week I shot 1000 yds for the first time. Today I stretched it out to 1200 yds. I'm shooting a 7WSM with 168VLDs. Used the Applied Ballistics App. It took me 6 rounds to get on target because of wind. Then the next 6 in a row were hits. That first hit put a smile on my face. I was surprised how long it took for the sound of the hit to get back to me. I almost thought I was missing because it took so long to hear it. That's cool.

The target is in the open piece of grass just below the horizon.
2012-06-16_15-02-17_289.jpg

2012-06-16_15-17-04_828.jpg

First shot was right side and low. Added 1/2 minute to bring it up a little and trued it on the Applied Ballistic App. Last three shot are on the left side and are a 6 or 7 inch group. I'm pretty happy with that.

Still trying for farther.

Re: Made it out to 1200 yds

Nice one! Good shooting and nice pics, the countryside looks fantastic and almost looks slightly English too! You'll have the same problem I have at LR - spotting shots. It takes an eagle eye and good follow through to spot any misses in grass. Its actually easier after its rained, the bullet makes a good splash in wet grass.

One week your shooting over a 1000 yards of corn and now, a month later, your shooting over 1200 yards of hay(most of it at least). Very nice set up fella, very nice. Oh, and the rifle is nice too.

Keep up the good work,
JoeZ

Very nice shooting and nice place too, I had access to 840 yds, I will have access to 1100 yds for a while so hopefully I'll do some of this 1000+ yards shots, or at least try it anyways.

Good work! It looks like you have the whole package: awesome rifle/cartridge and a beautiful place to shoot. I was in Iowa for my first time last weekend for a fellow Marine's wedding. I flew into Cedar Rapids and drove on the back roads from there to Williamsburg which was an absolute pleasure. Beautiful country.

Looks like a great place to shoot.

Nice shooting, and oh, btw - you're now addicted. At least for me it only took one hit at 1000 to get me addicted to this version of the shooting game.