• CONTEST: Back to school!

Join the contest below and share a picture of your kid or college student out at the range, cleaning their rifle, or shooting at a target!

Join contest
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Rifle Scopes Magnifier for your Holosight/Red Dot: Please Add

BobD

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2012
Ok, you have a holosight/red dot and are debating purchasing some glass to either reach out a touch bit further or obtain a better sight picture for more precise shot placement... There are a number of options you have, at a number of price points. It may seem hard for some to to justify the higher prices of some models; however you will sacrifice usability.

The following is the roundup of your major options & ballpark prices:

Eotech 3x - ~$500+
Aimpoint 3x ~$500+
Burris Tripler ~ $250
Vortex 3x $200+
Primary Arms 3, 5, 6 (2 generations) ~$100+
Mako 3, 5, 7x (3 generations) ~$100
Sightmark 3, 5, 7x (2 generations) ~$100
UTG 3, 5 x ~ $75

I have personally handled the Eotech, Vortex and 2 different generations of Mako

*Ithink it would be more beneficial to make this a thread instaed of a simple review so please add pictures and comments of your own. It would be nice to see all of these stacked up in one spot.

So here it is, for better or worse... Mako's newest generation 5x magnifier-

2012-07-07_13-10-21_460.jpg

The new model does look slightly different from the previous generations and is marked with the identifying ring around the objective lense. Also new is the twist off quick detach mount. The effort was there but fell short in many aspects... A few being: its not as strong as it looks, its too low to clear BUIS, and its operation is awkward.
[url="http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/Robert_Dryfoos/"]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/Robert_Dryfoos/[/url]
Another look...
[img]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/Robert_Dryfoos/2012-07-07_13-06-33_539.jpg

2012-07-07_13-04-30_205.jpg

2012-07-07_13-05-11_513.jpg

Oops... Yeah, that happened on the older models as well. Adjust the diopeter to far in and you get to have the fun of putting this back on.

2012-07-07_13-11-43_104.jpg

2012-07-14_11-38-23_557.jpg

Also, the misrepresentation of magnification has been corrected. Last gen was certainly not as much as stated. * note: Mako has stated that they have sold off their older inferior models to other companies to re label. I can personally attest that the older models are still selling and they are definetely different.
2012-07-14_11-39-31_794.jpg

2012-07-14_11-41-59_136.jpg

The next two pics are of the tree between the cars, sorry for the poor first view.
makoview.jpg

makoviewtoptree.jpg

Clarity is actually quite decent and more than most would suggest. Also looks better than previous models; pictures do not justify its full clarity. Its nothing to awe at though.

Last thoughts:
eye relief = sucks
Carity= good
Build and design = mediocre
Finish = acceptable
Elevation and windage for holo/red dot reticle center: none
Mount = not for me
Price = on par with quality... Subjective

If you have played with even vortex's mag, you will find this a bit disappointing, especially the nicer mounts like even american defense are ten fold superior. The optic is nice, but without adjustment, rubber eye pieces falling off and an eye relief with a forgiveness of about .0001" I would reserve this for range use and fun on a limited budget. There is nothing serious about it. It will get the job done and with the right mount give you a nice picture, just don't bet your life on it.

I'll try to update soon to clarify a few specifics.
Hope this helps,
Feel free to ask any questions and please add your own pics.

Re: Magnifier for your Holosight/Red Dot: Please Add

Bump
Changed topic from review to thread. Please contribute, i think it would be very helpful

I have an older Mako 3x used with an EoTech 512, clarity is decent, magnification helpful, eye relief is short, cheek weld/position is crucial, its a fixed mount and its too flimsy. I would ugrade the mount but the combination is obnoxiously heavy, too long and low to clear BUIS, its also sensitive to eye position and introduces parallex, so I decided if I want increased precision I'll mount a scope. Magnifiers are a great idea poorly executed. They kill the best attributes of the reddot, parallex free, unlimited eye relief, unlimited field of view, they get in the way of BUIS and add weight. With a super short reddot or monolithic upper maybe they'd be better, but its still allot of weight and size stacked on the rifle. Twist off mounts seem good but in a hurry you'll probably be losing or dropping your magnifier, FTS mounts leave the weight on the gun, both have obvious mechanical weak points.

Magnifiers increase a red dots utility and precision. The only ones worth running are the Aimpoints in a Larue mount and the Eotech. The Aimpoint is superior to the Eotech.

You cannot judge the usefulness of magnifiers when using a Mako or other junk magnifier.

I'll agree the Eotech I handled is quiet the superior product. What do you prefer about the Aimpoint?
Also, what made you feel like the vortex mag and mount were junk? I actually thought they were both well made.