• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Making a clone of a XM3. Talk me out of it.

Hey guys. Should I be talked out of this. Looking to build a XM3 ish build. I have the action, just need to rebarrel it. Thinking a 16 inch in 6mm C. Am I off my rocker with this?

"ISH" is not clone. It's a rifle that you put together so I'd just drop the clone talk. Clones IMHO are a waste of money unless you have some emotional connection like you were a USMC or Army sniper as they are rarely up to the task of what the person wants to use as a civilian.

What's the rifle for?

You can clone-ish an XM3 and still have a super useful rifle. It was ahead of its time. You're gonna use an A1-3 stock...great if you like a traditional swept grip profile and low comb, but a square front end capable of supporting an efr and attachments. A short 16" or so barrel is appropriate in the looks department and makes suppressor use an easy day. The 700 base has all the best aftermarket support, so parts are plentiful and as high a quality as you want to spend. Put a 3-15 optic or similar, sooo many good mid-mag scopes these days, and bam! It kinda looks like an XM3 and its modern and awesome in the right places 🤙🏼do it. Within that framework, you can true-up as much or little clone correctness as you care about...or not. Is it a clone? Shit no. Is it a great gun? Bet it is.

"ISH" is not clone. It's a rifle that you put together so I'd just drop the clone talk. Clones IMHO are a waste of money unless you have some emotional connection like you were a USMC or Army sniper as they are rarely up to the task of what the person wants to use as a civilian.

What's the rifle for?
Very fair point. The rifle is for ringing steel, shooting deer and just a point to release boredom. I have built a M40A5 for my self. Working on a exact copy of a M24 from the 90s but in fast twist 270Win. Im just looking for something "next". I figure a 16 inch in 6MM Creed can be something different and fun. I like the looks of the XM3, its different. So I was like why the hell not? Moved to Tenn, so there are a lot more yotes to kill here so its primarily will be used for that.

Reactions: kthomas
Very fair point. The rifle is for ringing steel, shooting deer and just a point to release boredom. I have built a M40A5 for my self. Working on a exact copy of a M24 from the 90s but in fast twist 270Win. Im just looking for something "next". I figure a 16 inch in 6MM Creed can be something different and fun. I like the looks of the XM3, its different. So I was like why the hell not? Moved to Tenn, so there are a lot more yotes to kill here so its primarily will be used for that.

If you like the look of an XM3 and want to replicate it, why not?

It's a free country.

Not everybody should have a 25lb 6mm built on an Origin and put in a chassis.

If you like the look of an XM3 and want to replicate it, why not?

It's a free country.

Not everybody should have a 25lb 6mm built on an Origin and put in a chassis.
That was not my point at all. Never told him to do anything like that wise ass.

Yes it’s a free country and he can do what he likes but it’s not a clone. In that it’s not a clone he can open himself up to build it as he likes and not have to stick with specific parts to try and make a clone and spend a ton more on it and end up with something that’s not what it’s supposed to be. It’s his money so he can do as he likes but the “clone” thing gets thrown around a lot but it’s not a clone of one thing is changed.

Unless you’re doing a full on correct clone, do the caliber/chambering you want.

We’ve come a long way since the XM3… they still look badass but I’ve often regretted going backwards for aesthetic sake.
I agree on that. thats why im looking at the 6mm creed. But I want to keep some of the aesthetics of it. Now, do I want to put a $1000 stock on it, that im not sure of. I have the action in a old 243, So, im looking at a Grand in a barrel and getting it fitted. ITs all these little things that im not sure on. I do want to make it to my like though.

That was not my point at all. Never told him to do anything like that wise ass.

Yes it’s a free country and he can do what he likes but it’s not a clone. In that it’s not a clone he can open himself up to build it as he likes and not have to stick with specific parts to try and make a clone and spend a ton more on it and end up with something that’s not what it’s supposed to be. It’s his money so he can do as he likes but the “clone” thing gets thrown around a lot but it’s not a clone of one thing is changed.

A proper clone is a lot of money and can be pretty difficult to achieve as you point out. I don't think that's his intention here, despite using that terminology.

It sounds that he likes the aesthetics of the XM3, and wants to do an XM3 inspired build, not an actual clone. Despite the title of the thread, I don't think a proper clone is what he is trying to achieve here - and that's pretty clear when he's talking about making it a 16" 6mm Creedmoor.

It's really not too hard nor too expensive to do an XM3 inspired build.

He has the action. McMillan makes the XM3 stock so that part shouldn't be hard to acquire at all. And LRI makes an XM3 replica EFR mount (https://www.longriflesinc.com/products/darpa-xm-3-replica-efr-mounts), though honestly any EFR mount will really do if we are staying in the realm of 'inspired'.

I think you are getting way too hung up on the OPs use of the term 'clone' (which does have connotations of an exact replica). I think the proper term here is to do an XM3 inspired build, and there's nothing unreasonable about that.

I agree on that. thats why im looking at the 6mm creed. But I want to keep some of the aesthetics of it. Now, do I want to put a $1000 stock on it, that im not sure of. I have the action in an old 243, So, im looking at a Grand in a barrel and getting it fitted. ITs all these little things that im not sure on. I do want to make it to my like though.
Do it, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy.

I have 5 USMC m40A1,A3, A5 builds and enjoy the hell out of them. No I wasn’t in the military and have no emotional attachment. Worth every penny in my book. I plan on a XM3 build at some point, just haven’t gotten around to it.

There's also a lot of fun threads on the XM3 here on the 'hide, to develop an inspiration for your build and to just learn more about the XM3 system and what made it an XM3. There is certainly a few knowledgeable members here in regards to the XM3 and military clones.

Here's a few:

A proper clone is a lot of money and can be pretty difficult to achieve as you point out. I don't think that's his intention here, despite using that terminology.

It sounds that he likes the aesthetics of the XM3, and wants to do an XM3 inspired build, not an actual clone. Despite the title of the thread, I don't think a proper clone is what he is trying to achieve here - and that's pretty clear when he's talking about making it a 16" 6mm Creedmoor.

It's really not too hard nor too expensive to do an XM3 inspired build.

He has the action. McMillan makes the XM3 stock so that part shouldn't be hard to acquire at all. And LRI makes an XM3 replica EFR mount (https://www.longriflesinc.com/products/darpa-xm-3-replica-efr-mounts), though honestly any EFR mount will really do if we are staying in the realm of 'inspired'.

I think you are getting way too hung up on the OPs use of the term 'clone' (which does have connotations of an exact replica). I think the proper term here is to do an XM3 inspired build, and there's nothing unreasonable about that.

Sorry for getting hung up on proper terminology. LOL Hey found a clone woman for you. Pretty much the same right?

1726154470338.jpeg

I agree on that. thats why im looking at the 6mm creed. But I want to keep some of the aesthetics of it. Now, do I want to put a $1000 stock on it, that im not sure of. I have the action in a old 243, So, im looking at a Grand in a barrel and getting it fitted. ITs all these little things that im not sure on. I do want to make it to my like though.

You want a lighter weight 16" 6 Creed. That's fine and you can build it very easily. Lots of great stock options out there that will do what you like. Don't get hung up on what a XM3 looks like. Build what you like and want and will work for your end purpose.

Reactions: Alaskaman11
@5RWill has an XM3 clone-ish rifle, perhaps he can chime in with what his likes and dislikes are with that specific rifle.

Yup i love mine. It’s not a 100% accurate cause i couldn’t stomach the M4 DBM. I thought i had seen a prototype with M5. That remains a mystery cause i haven’t found it. However the only part that is inaccurate to the build is the dbm and a TT pro. It’s unmistakably an XM3 by all standards in my mind. Sure, it’s not 100% clone correct. But there are hearts of the build for clones to even remotely associate the term with the rifle for me. Mk12 for instance. The rail and the can it’s a must. XM3 the A1-3, 700 action, flash hider, and surefire FA762ss.

I can acknowledge that it’s not a strict definition of a clone but I’m not about to call it anything else lol. Would take too much energy to explain otherwise.

As to my dislikes. Obviously i think the M4 floor plate was a mistake in design. Also the LOP is long as fuck. I had to nearly take all the spacers out and move the scope back to the last lug. The comb on the A1-3 is super aggressive too so check weld can be a challenge. Which is why you’ll see lots of CMP rifles with huge stock packs on them.

However it is one of the sexiest rifles the military has ever fielded IMHO. It’s a great all rounder in 308.

Pic for reference i still have to get LRI to bed the CMP mount

IMG_0100.jpeg

Reactions: kthomas
Yup i love mine. It’s not a 100% accurate cause i couldn’t stomach the M4 DBM. I thought i had seen a prototype with M5. That remains a mystery cause i haven’t found it. However the only part that is inaccurate to the build is the dbm and a TT pro. It’s unmistakably an XM3 by all standards in my mind. Sure, it’s not 100% clone correct. But there are hearts of the build for clones to even remotely associate the term with the rifle for me. Mk12 for instance. The rail and the can it’s a must. XM3 the A1-3, 700 action, flash hider, and surefire FA762ss.

I can acknowledge that it’s not a strict definition of a clone but I’m not about to call it anything else lol. Would take too much energy to explain otherwise.

Pic for reference i still have to get LRI to bed the CMP mount

View attachment 8500079
What stock did you use?

You mean like all that typing to explain why your clone isn’t a clone? Lol Would have been easier to describe your rifle as what it is. A short barreled .308 in a McMillan stock that you like and kept all the mentioning of clone out of it 😉

If the DARPA had not done the XM3, I'm not sure any of us would have anything in an A1-3. Pretty sure mine shares only the rear scope ring in common, but had the XM3 never existed, I'd never have thought of it at all. Call it cloneish, inspired, whatever...one had to walk before the other could run. And this 22 Creed gets some!

20240905_102930~2.jpg

Last edited:
You mean like all that typing to explain why your clone isn’t a clone? Lol Would have been easier to describe your rifle as what it is. A short barreled .308 in a McMillan stock that you like and kept all the mentioning of clone out of it 😉

I went strict with mine. Even went as far as finding a SS action w/ SN in the range of the issued rifles and NF rings with the older lasered logo.

IMG_6947.jpeg

I even cloned the FA762ss! :O

Half the fun for me is chasing down parts. I have a Zeus to scratch that “latest and greatest” itch.

I went strict with mine. Even went as far as finding a SS action w/ SN in the range of the issued rifles and NF rings with the older lasered logo.

View attachment 8501235

I even cloned the FA762ss! :O

Half the fun for me is chasing down parts. I have a Zeus to scratch that “latest and greatest” itch.
By chance is at the 3 1/2 to 1By chance is at the 3 1/2 to 15 NF?