• See The Results, Run The Bolt Tee

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Making the M1917 and BAR

Problem is kids are taught that the old ways are dumb, slow, and generally undesirable. The older processes are definitely slower and less efficient, but the mindset and thought process of the old way is more relevant than ever. With the tooling and technology we have today there is no reason that a very affordable machined part shouldn’t be a masterpiece. Biggest problem is the good enough mindset. Why be good enough when it could be great in a matter of minutes on modern tooling and equipment.

These videos are great. But before all the old timers start lecturing everyone on the good old days, these things were made in a time where materials were expensive and people were cheap. Now literally the opposite is true.

The craftsmanship isn’t totally gone, there are a ton of talented craftsman still out there, but fortunately for the consumer, their job has been engineered out. I’m glad I don’t have to pay a guy $100 an hour who has spent thousands of dollars on tools to swap out the barrel on my AR15. I can do it myself in my garage with about $100 of tools invested.

These videos are great. But before all the old timers start lecturing everyone on the good old days, these things were made in a time where materials were expensive and people were cheap. Now literally the opposite is true.

The craftsmanship isn’t totally gone, there are a ton of talented craftsman still out there, but fortunately for the consumer, their job has been engineered out. I’m glad I don’t have to pay a guy $100 an hour who has spent thousands of dollars on tools to swap out the barrel on my AR15. I can do it myself in my garage with about $100 of tools invested.
too late.. Boomers gonna boom :LOL:

I built this B.A.R. in .22lr
1638904979239.jpeg

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

All of that craftsmanship, gone. Nowadays, it seems that "if it can't be done with an app, then it can't be done".
It's not gone... it's preserved by a new generation of craftspeople in everything from restoration shops to organizations like the Contemporary Longrifle Association.

Electronics are all well and good. And in today's world... economical. But if the lights go out, some of us can still make things with files and anvils and stones and scrapers and chisels.

No... it's not gone. It's just a much smaller group than it once was.

Sirhr

The mindset has been engineered out. With CNC tools there should be a minimal up charge for the top level. There’s little reason we don’t see far better quality for minimal price increase. Craftsmanship should benefit the customer with the technology we have. There’s no reason that we can’t buy a shouldered prefit for any action made. That’s the difference between good enough and a craftsman mindset making everything perfect

Back when I worked as a machinist I worked with quite the notable inspector . He said that good enough is a fall back position note a Modus Operendi . Tolerance is insurance , not a target .
Hell now I level and Tram in equipment to .00027 over twelve inches . Generally shoot for "0" because once you align the geometry on the column of a horizontal mill you start effing with your level on the bed casting/ways . A Ball Bar never lies .

Back when I worked as a machinist I worked with quite the notable inspector . He said that good enough is a fall back position note a Modus Operendi . Tolerance is insurance , not a target .
Hell now I level and Tram in equipment to .00027 over twelve inches . Generally shoot for "0" because once you align the geometry on the column of a horizontal mill you start effing with your level on the bed casting/ways . A Ball Bar never lies .
Whose machines do you work on? Cnc grinder here.

There’s no reason that we can’t buy a shouldered prefit for any action made. That’s the difference between good enough and a craftsman mindset making everything perfect
Craftsmanship comes at a price. There are Industrial Engineers that make their living off of maximizing manufacturing efficiency to establish and define good enough.

Damn right it comes at a price, reason being is it’s not as common as it once was. I feel we lost a lot due to schools pushing everyone to college. There were a lot of great minds that would have been better served by going into a trade that’s fulfilling, other than becoming part of the student loan problem.

There will be great demand going forward for those who are skilled with tools and know how to make things the "old" ways. In what were previously called skilled trades will be "artisans" going forward and in great demand. I have worked in construction my whole adult career and in awe of the workmanship of the great buildings in this country and abroad. It would be nearly impossible to replicate those buildings today.

Reactions: Average guy
I have noticed there are a lot of capable young hands, but attention to detail and pride in there work is non existent.
I agree. This is not an inherent trait but a taught one and requires great discipline. Unfortunately our current education system is the greatest obstacle in instilling these traits. We have become the disposable society when it comes to items we use every day. If it breaks (which they do in great frequency) they are tossed in the trash and a new one is purchased. This phenomenon was really took hold when production of many goods relocated in China. I have 30+ year old US made Porter Cable power tools that run better than anything I could buy today. There was a time when something broke you fixed it. Try to repair a refrigerator or a washer/dryer today. If you can find somebody and the parts to fix it you most likely figure out its cheaper to replace it. I will say the today's automobiles are the exception.

Reactions: Average guy
There was a time when something broke you fixed it. Try to repair a refrigerator or a washer/dryer today. If you can find somebody and the parts to fix it you most likely figure out its cheaper to replace it. I will say the today's automobiles are the exception.
When the control board for the washer is 400 and a new washer is 600 you really have to think is it worth putting a new board in an old machine.