Mandrel neck sizing

Thepopo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2024
Toronto
So i'm at the point I want to change the tension at the neck of my brass to .002, but I'm not sure I can with the equipment I have. I have a Hornady custom full size die. Can I use a APW mandrel die after the full resize to adjust the neck tension after using my Hornady full size die? Or do I need a seperate bushing neck die to be able to use a mandrel after?

This is the mandrel set I want to use.

You can use what you have. Using a bushing would size it less than the die without the bushing, but it can still be done without issue. If I use a bushing die I don't use a mandrel also. I only use a mandrel if I don't use a bushing die. I don't see enough of a difference in my groups to use both.

You can use what you have. Using a bushing would size it less than the die without the bushing, but it can still be done without issue. If I use a bushing die I don't use a mandrel also. I only use a mandrel if I don't use a bushing die. I don't see enough of a difference in my groups to use both.
What are the pros and cons of mandrel vs bushing die?

I prefer to use bushings so I can size to the dimension I want without adding another step in an already long QA process. Bushings are for a specific caliber and neck while mandrels can be used on any caliber that shares dimensions. I use my custom mandrels on .308 and .300 win mag but you can't do that with a bushing.

Reactions: Thepopo
A bushing die doesn't size the neck all the way down to the neck-shoulder junction. That can be a + or - depending on what you like. Bushing dies don't get the neck as concentric as one might want (that may or may not matter to you). Because the bushing is pushing from the outside, it moves the neck's variable thickness's to the inside making for uneven interference and tension on a seated bullet.

Using a mandrel moves the variable neck thickness's to the outside away from the bullet (not necessarily all of it, but a good deal of it depending on the hardness of the neck). Using a mandrel adds an extra step to brass prep process from just using a FL Bushing sizing die. Using a mandrel after sizing tends to result in necks that are more concentric than when using a bushing in a sizing die.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gogga and Thepopo
Straightshooter said it pretty good.

I know for myself, the issue of concentricity on the inner wall of the neck is a non issue for me. I can't shoot the difference that would be noticed. If I had to buy new dies I'd just buy bushing dies to save the step of using a mandrel. If I don't have bushing dies, the mandrel is a cheaper alternative to buying new sizing dies.

Reactions: Thepopo