Manners T4 Fitment - What Am I In For?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I will be building a rifle based on the Howa 1500 action in 223 and am considering the Manners T4. Costly, but figure a step up from the B&C Medalist, even if used for just shooting off a bench. I see the T4 has pillars (which I know nothing about). What am I in for to fit the Howa to this action? Bolt in and go, or...? Never done any bedding of any kind, so really not sure what is required with this setup.

- Phil

Re: Manners T4 Fitment - What Am I In For?

Yeah really need bedding with the manners which you don't need with the B&C. Over all both are great stocks but unless you need the reduced weight or the DBM capability you'd be better served with trigger time and a better optic. Then if you still need the stock go that direction but that B&C will do the job for now.

Good luck,
Merritt

I just got the M4 a few weeks ago and shot my bud's B&C and if you can spend the money get the M4 it is very nice and l def like it a lot more. save up do it once and do it right.

Jason

No mini-chassis for the T4 series using a Howa action, so would have to bed. Since I do not know how to do this, would need to pay someone to do it, driving the cost to levels that are close to a full blown chassis which also has a detachable mag (XLR - $720). I prefer a Manners, but maybe the B&C Medalist is best given that it appears it just bolts to the aluminum bedding block. Not sure that is correct, but if so, requires no bedding experience.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it appears it just bolts to the aluminum bedding block. Not sure that is correct, but if so, requires no bedding experience. </div></div>

That is correct. The T4 has a more comfortable angle on top of the butt. B&C tactical butt feels like a 2x6, put me too far off scope centerline. Mine is the T4A. Plus I like the T4 palmswell. Just my tastes.

Plenty of bedding info here in the gunsmithing forum. Use the google search. Also see Brownells they sell bedding kits.

http://www.google.com/cse/m?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&cref=&theme=DEFAULT

Manners would definitely be what I would put a Howa in. Read the DIY bedding posts stickied, its not too hard, and the gratification is priceless.
If you have to pay to bed, there's a lot of good smiths in CA that could hook you up!