Mark 5 5-25 on ar15?

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
I currently have a mark 5 5-25 on my bolt gun and I love the scope and reticle for the money. I have a 20” barrel ar I built years ago that I never really put much time into, but now that I’m into long range stuff I’d like to reload for that and stretch its legs out a bit. I was originally thinking of picking up a mark 5 in 3.6-18 for it, but now I’m thinking about maby grabbing a 7-35 for my bolt gun and putting the 5-25 on the ar. Anyone run that size scope on an ar platform? Is it too big and bulky or does it find itself at home on a “precision” ar?

Here’s a pic, I’ll be swapping out the scope obviously, and getting a can, maby changing a few other things.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 68
@Rudy Gonsior is on the board still. Maybe he can chime in on how he liked it downrange. I noticed he has an LPVO on his FDE Ridgeline. I think he’s just fucking with guys now, dropping that rifle in his video. You know, a “just the tip” kind of tease…

Reactions: 03machstock
IDK about an AR, but I have 6-24x50s on my 10/22s.

No, that’s a lie, I also have a 6-24x50 and a Leupold mark v 5-25 on a couple of ARs as well.

And, they all wear sun shades full time…

A big heavy scope would not be my first choice for an AR 15.
Especially in a defensive situation, in FF plane. You'd be dead before you could move the weapon into position and find the offending target.
But may be okay for LR targets, group shooting, or tiny varmints, and those with really bad eyes.

Reactions: jumrobe
That a lot of scope for a small frame AR. If you’re going to do something like gas gun PRS, it makes sense. If you just want to he more glass for a “precision” AR15 build, a 3-18 with a top dot is a better fit.

The 5-25 and 7-35 are both right at home on a large frame gasser.

Pretty sure I saw a 6-36 Gen3 Razor on one of the Ridgeline rifles in the poi shift thread.

Use what fits the intended role of the rifle.

The 5-25 Eotech has a better small frame footprint if you’re shopping for an optic in that mag range.

Reactions: jumrobe
Pretty sure I saw a 6-36 Gen3 Razor on one of the Ridgeline rifles in the poi shift thread.

Use what fits the intended role of the rifle.
I wish I had a picture of the big-assed Nightforce scope sitting on a Savage Rascal that was at a rimfire match a few years ago. It was almost as big as the little girl that was shooting it. Yeah, fit the scope and the rifle to the purpose…

I run a 6.5x20x50 Leupold Mark 4 in a Warne mount on my 20 inch Colt HBAR. I shoot mostly off a bench. If you are looking at shooting past 600 yards or meters you might want to check into a 20 moa mount to give you a little more elevation adjustment.