Marking off 1000 yds. Please check my calculations

Re: Marking off 1000 yds. Please check my calculations

just remember the lay of the land can play havoc with measurements using a rolling wheel. You may end up being a bit short unless your land is tabletop flat. I am a big fan of close enough but you can end up going somewhere else to shoot and your dope may be off a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just remember the lay of the land can play havoc with measurements using a rolling wheel. You may end up being a bit short unless your land is tabletop flat. I am a big fan of close enough but you can end up going somewhere else to shoot and your dope may be off a bit.</div></div>

Good point. Yeah flat here around Houston....I'm sorry to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hang-fire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Google earth is another option </div></div>

Google earth does measurements? Didn't know. </div></div>

Yes, my son uses it all the time. Look at the tools, if gives you some option on using a line or mouse. You can measure by foot, yard, mile etc.

haha , man i wouldn't do what your doing. Google earth isn't even that accurate.

try and learn to reticle range your targets. It will be more accurate then what your thinking about. Even if your scope is a POS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haha , man i wouldn't do what your doing. Google earth isn't even that accurate.

try and learn to reticle range your targets. It will be more accurate then what your thinking about. Even if your scope is a POS. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haha , man i wouldn't do what your doing. Google earth isn't even that accurate.

try and learn to reticle range your targets. It will be more accurate then what your thinking about. Even if your scope is a POS. </div></div>

I'll stick with my truck odometer since I'm a flatlander.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haha , man i wouldn't do what your doing. Google earth isn't even that accurate.

try and learn to reticle range your targets. It will be more accurate then what your thinking about. Even if your scope is a POS. </div></div>

I beg to differ. Again on flat ground an odometer will be quite precise, they actually have a legal (federally controlled) accuracy level. Reticle ranging is subject to a variety of errors, some might be largely eliminated but can include; target size uncertainty, reticle subtension observation limitations, rifle movement, the practical MOA rounding/approximations most folks use (e.g. 1 MOA is not precisely 1.00" at 100.00 yards, etc.). That last point alone can contribute nearly 5% error!

Also, as others have stated google earth can be quite accurate.

google earth is within 1-2 yds on everything i've ever checked. i would love to see you range within 2yds at 1k with your reticle....lmao. i'll even give you 5yds of error.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GPS works for me... and surveyors... just saying</div></div>

Got that right.

I have a abandoned gravel pit on BLM land about two miles from my house.

You can drive all over it and if inclined can get better then two miles.

I drive up, drop off and set up the target, then using my GMS, create a Waypoint. Using the GPS I can get an accurate distance to any place I decide to shoot from.

It's great for practicing you MIL ranging. I set up an 18 inch target, create my waypoint and drive all over the place, ranging with the MIL DOT scope, and using the GPS to confirm or deny my estimating.

Get a good 1:24000 map to go with your GPS and you'll get a flat distance meaning you can ignor the angle shooting, or as a tool to check your angle calculations.

I don't use a computer on the range, and my cell phone only makes calls. (All I know how to do on a cell phone).

Another thing I like to do is take one of those sniper range cards (with all the half circles} and reverse is. I put the target where the shooter is suppose to be, then using the target locations in the half cirlces for different firing points. That way I don't need a whole bunch of targets, just a bunch of firing positions. Like I said I can drive all over the area and being an old man, this means I don't have to do a bunch of hiking and packing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pvt_Snowballs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just tested that app with a football field on there and worked! </div></div>

Try installing Google Earth (free) as well. With it you can get elevations as well as distances. All scrolling reads off coordinates and elevations then you can also use the ruler tool. Good stuff!

Camp Pendleton Range 117: 1000 yd (3000 ft)
Google Earth estimate: 2999.06 ft

Any questions?

CampPendleton1000yd.jpg

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Camp Pendleton Range 117: 1000 yd (3000 ft)
Google Earth estimate: 2999.06 ft

Any questions?</div></div>

Nice.

I did the same for Pala in San Diego. I got 881 vs. 887 claimed although I could not nail the shooting line too precisely that is still about 0.5% discrepancy.

I did the same as above for the Pala 600 yd and 887 yd lines. I have lasered those at 603 yd (1809 ft) and 887 yd (2661 ft), respectively. Google gave me 1811.192 ft and 2658.513 ft, respectively. I'm pretty impressed with the results, although as you pointed out, it is critical to know exactly where on the satellite image to place the pointers. So this approach might not be as useful to range estimate someplace you've never been and had to guess at the endpoints.