• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Marlin MR7

Hearlson

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Kansas
I want to have some work done to my rifle but I dont know were to begin,I want to shoot long range with it but it is chambered in 270. How hard is to find different barrles for this rifle since it was only made for a few years or should I just leave it alone.Thanks

Re: Marlin MR7

I'm sure just about any good gunsmith could fit just about any barrel you would want but it probably wouldn't be worth the extra cost. The MR7's cost would probably be less than what a good barrel alone would cost. Not to mention that if you wanted to accessorize or modify you rifle your selection of aftermarket parts such as stocks, scope rails are pretty much non-existent for the rifle.

The 270 is a great cartridge and as long as the gun is accurate I would say to just shoot it as is. Get your practice with what you have now and learn as you go. A 270 can do a really decent job to a good distance, as best as I understand the biggest thing it lacks is a good selection of match bullets although there are some. As you get more into thing I would look and read things on this site. I've learned a ton just reading. You can get a better idea of what you want and like then as you upgrade equipment.

Good Luck
JMC