• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maryland- any MD members here?

It's not enforced, and there is no state definition of hbar. Msp states it has to be stamped or marketed as a heavy barrel. Dimensions are irrelevant. So really it could be anything.

Also does not apply to non 556 barrels, piston AR's, pistol AR's, and SBR's.

Also non standard barrels such as LMT and KAC are not subject to the awb.

What gunner10 said. Where is your buddy moving to in Md. If he’s in the Frederick area or not to far I would have him contact gun runners in Frederick. Cheapest transfers and the owner is super amazing to work with. He can also contact me and I can help out as well. Md is a very weird place for gun owners. I’m a transplant from Texas and it was quite the shock when I got here.

While I am not longer in MD, as much as we like to give MD a hard time about their gun laws at this point its really not that bad as long as you are looking for an AR or any rifle designed after 1994 as MD ban list is pretty much pulled from the old fed AWB.

Scars,
AR10/SR25's
Tavors
Most AR's
B&T's
CZ

Are all cash and carry and not restricted. Can this change, of course, but honestly, in the whole time I was in MD, shot SBR's with Cans at public ranges and never an odd look. most public ranges are filled with AR's and AK's with normal mags.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
While I am not longer in MD, as much as we like to give MD a hard time about their gun laws at this point its really not that bad as long as you are looking for an AR or any rifle designed after 1994 as MD ban list is pretty much pulled from the old fed AWB.

They'll close the “loopholes” as soon as Frosh gets his governorship.

Also OP, no real way for someone who’s not someone to get a carry license unless they handle large amounts of cash and no reciprocity that I’m aware of.

Last edited:
Barrel doesn't need to be marked HBAR and there is actually no definition of what a heavy barrel is. What is needed is for the manufacturer to call the barrel "heavy" in any citable product description.
If your friend has had his AR or AR receiver since before 10/2013, then he can have any barrel. Any (.223/5.56) AR received after that date will have to be configured as HBAR.
If he wants to feel all warm and fuzzy and have a marked barrel, American Defense Manufacturer sells a contoured barrel that is marked HBAR.

Last edited:
Reactions: hermosabeach
848F9F2F-CFB0-495B-B697-A9901AC930EF.jpeg
The ar15, sr25 and bolt action I sighted in this morning at AGC in Marriottsville.....

Reactions: fili.herrera

Scars,
AR10/SR25's
Tavors
Most AR's
B&T's
CZ

Are all cash and carry and not restricted. Can this change, of course, but honestly, in the whole time I was in MD, shot SBR's with Cans at public ranges and never an odd look. most public ranges are filled with AR's and AK's with normal mags.

Side note, the Desert Tech MDR is banned as well, despite being newer than the regulation in question. You can go the MSP website for a list of banned/not banned rifles, and the MDR is listed as banned.

MSP also states that the weapons listed on the state web page are not legally binding as they are not firearm experts and to consult a lawyer legal answer.

One piston ar is lister as banned as it is an ar. Another piston ar is legal as its not an ar.

They list mcx as bannes because its an ar, but is sold regularly at gun shops

Total clown show

I am fairly certain there are MDRs for sale in gun shops this very moment

MSP also states that the weapons listed on the state web page are not legally binding as they are not firearm experts and to consult a lawyer legal answer.

One piston ar is lister as banned as it is an ar. Another piston ar is legal as its not an ar.

They list mcx as bannes because its an ar, but is sold regularly at gun shops

Total clown show

I am fairly certain there are MDRs for sale in gun shops this very moment

“Consult your ffl” is their line, I believe. As stated, website has no force of law.

My favorite part of Maryland law is that it is unlawful to buy or sell magazines with a capacity greater than ten but it is perfectly lawful to buy one in Virginia or anywhere else and then own, possess and use it within Maryland.

Things that are legal:

- AR10s (Because many of them are match rifles, are used in service matches...)
- AR15 HBARs, that are effectively clones of the Colt A.R. 15 HBAR sport match, again a rifle that can be used in the national matches
- at one point piston A.R. 15‘s which are not copies of the Colt AR15 were legal because they are not gas operated exact clones
- all semi automatic rifles must be 29 inches or longer
- there is a two feature test...
- you may possess magazines larger than 10 rounds, but you may not sell them, manufacture them, or give them to someone else in the state of Maryland. (Surprisingly the Maryland general assembly is smarter than the California General assembly and somehow recognized that banning standard capacity magazines was going to be a huge shit burger for the state.)
- suppressors are legal, but the state police must be informed

One thing that I am not positive about that would require attorney review is the ownership of a rifle prior to October 2013 by someone who lived outside of the state of Maryland and was moving to the state. It is possible unless the law is worded to cover this that if you were moving to the state of Maryland and illegally owned a firearm that became illegal after 2013, that may be legal to bring it to Maryland. I will absolutely consult an attorney before bringing anything here… But so long as you have the paperwork to prove that you’ve on the weapon...

Hence attorney review

Last edited:
- suppressors are legal, but the state police must be informed
Only by virtue of sending duplicate Form 1/4 to MSP under 41F. Many, many suppressors on pre-41F trusts with no involvement of MSP.
Machineguns, on the other hand, need to be registered with the MSP (with annual renewals).