• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

May 12th AZLRPRS Club Match

LH_Gina

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Goodyear, AZ
** ALL REGISTRATION IS THROUGH PRACTISCORE. PLEASE REGISTER WITH THE LINK BELOW. NO REGISTRATION WILL BE DONE ON THE DAY OF THE MATCH **

Precision rifle competition hosted by AZLRPRS at CowTown Range 10402 W Carefree Hwy, Peoria, AZ 85383, USA on May 12th. Competition consists of 70 rifle rounds with target distances up to 1000 yards. Events will take place on the upper west shooting platforms. Registration will be through Practiscore. Check in will be open from 0630-0645 the morning of the match. Rounds go downrange starting at 0700 rain or shine. Rifles should be capable of holding 1MOA. Calibers between .223 and .30cal (300WM) and not to exceed 3200fps in velocity.

Please be sure to bring hearing and eye protection (required). Knee and elbow pads are recommended. Chamber flags are required. If you do not have one, some may be available onsite for purchase. Match fee is $30. Scores will be posted through Practiscore within 24 hours of the match ending. There will be no sight in available on the day of the match, so please come prepared.

Link for registration is live here: https://practiscore.com/may-azlrprs-club-match/register

Last edited:
Reactions: PowellSixO
The match is in the middle of my work hitch of course. Just moved to Tucson, excited to start participating in the local matches around here, although I won't make this particular one.

Hopefully the next one!

Big thanks to LH_Gina, Tim, and all the other RO's and people that put this shoot on. It was a blast. Well run, safe, and fun. A very challenging shoot that really highlighted some of my deficiencies. Everybody was very accommodating and helpful to a new shooter. I'm stoked to shoot in the next one that I can. The wind kicked my ass out there, but I didn't feel too bad because everyone was struggling with it and I learned a bunch.

I just started following the AZLRPRS on Facebook. I've been wanting to get into some sort of competitive shooting for some time now, and just came across the group. It seems like a fun group, a fun way to compete, and a good way to improve my shooting abilities. Can someone maybe give me a little more information about the events please? Like how much ammo I would need to reload for a match? What to expect as a first timer? I'm from Show Low AZ fyi. If there is anyone that lives in the area that does it, I'd love to maybe meet up and ask some more questions. Thanks.

Edit: Also I'd be interested if the rifle I currently have would be a good choice for the PRS matches. I plan on using a Savage 10 action with a 24 inch X-Caliber barrel chambered in 7 SAUM. It sits on an HS Precision Stock, with a tuned accutrigger. I have an EGW picatinny rail, Vortex Precision 30 mm Rings, and a Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST 5-25x50 FFP MRAD Scope. It's capable of shooting sub .5 MOA if I do my part. I have a great load worked up for it, shooting the 162gr ELDX. It's not a fast round by any means, but it's very accurate.
Resized_20171222_162814.jpeg

Last edited:
I just started following the AZLRPRS on Facebook. I've been wanting to get into some sort of competitive shooting for some time now, and just came across the group. It seems like a fun group, a fun way to compete, and a good way to improve my shooting abilities. Can someone maybe give me a little more information about the events please? Like how much ammo I would need to reload for a match? What to expect as a first timer? I'm from Show Low AZ fyi. If there is anyone that lives in the area that does it, I'd love to maybe meet up and ask some more questions. Thanks.

Edit: Also I'd be interested if the rifle I currently have would be a good choice for the PRS matches. I plan on using a Savage 10 action with a 24 inch X-Caliber barrel chambered in 7 SAUM. It sits on an HS Precision Stock, with a tuned accutrigger. I have an EGW picatinny rail, Vortex Precision 30 mm Rings, and a Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST 5-25x50 FFP MRAD Scope. It's capable of shooting sub .5 MOA if I do my part. I have a great load worked up for it, shooting the 162gr ELDX. It's not a fast round by any means, but it's very accurate.View attachment 6904112

Info on actual requirements for each match are listed on the registration posts. We normally say 70 rounds will be plenty to get you through a match. We limit the caliber to those between .223 and 300WM and speeds need to be below 3200fps. The club has extra shooting bags we sign out to shooters courtesy of WieBad for those who want to try one out prior to purchase. We do have some shooters who live up in your neck of the woods and could point them out to you at a match. There is another club in AZ that runs matches at the Big Sandy Range outside of Wikieup as well. You can find them on Facebook at NAZPR. This year our matches have had a high "new guy" attendance ratio, so we've been splitting up the "pro" and "semi-pro" shooters to help the newer shooters. Our goal as a club is to make each match fun, so some stages might be easier than others and some might be more challenging to push all of the shooters.

Info on actual requirements for each match are listed on the registration posts. We normally say 70 rounds will be plenty to get you through a match. We limit the caliber to those between .223 and 300WM and speeds need to be below 3200fps. The club has extra shooting bags we sign out to shooters courtesy of WieBad for those who want to try one out prior to purchase. We do have some shooters who live up in your neck of the woods and could point them out to you at a match. There is another club in AZ that runs matches at the Big Sandy Range outside of Wikieup as well. You can find them on Facebook at NAZPR. This year our matches have had a high "new guy" attendance ratio, so we've been splitting up the "pro" and "semi-pro" shooters to help the newer shooters. Our goal as a club is to make each match fun, so some stages might be easier than others and some might be more challenging to push all of the shooters.
Awesome. Thanks for the response. I believe the Wikieup location would be a further drive for me from Show Low than it would be to the Peoria location. Sounds like a great time. Thanks again for the response.

It is a fun group and everyone is inclined to help everyone else, especially the new guys. There was no shortage of advice, offers to borrow different bags, people helping each other read the wind, comparing data, etc. Stages are interesting and fun and each is different. Ran the gauntlet from shooting unsupported, to burpees in between shots to break position and get the HR/breathing going, to barricades, to know your limits, to traditional prone. Range was 145 to 1375 with a multitude of different size targets. Very different from shooting prone/bench top on a square range. I found out I am very poor at support side shooting as I never shoot support side. They recommended you bring 80 rounds of ammo but according to my log I only got off 49 rounds (I'm still in the slow is better than rushing and missing shots stage).

Reactions: PowellSixO