• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Precision Rifle Gear McMillan vs Manners

Not sure I have ever worn out a stock. you buy the stock that fits your needs and that you like. Both of these companies make great stocks, I happen to like the features and look of the manners better right now, but it is a personnel choice.

Reactions: Bakwa and B y r o n
Hand fit is also a thing.

Most McMillans fit my hand better (esp the T series from Manners vs the A series)

But I wont buy new ones from them based on Bob Beck having bought them.

The EH1 from Manners is a smaller grip/shorter trigger reach and I like it a lot.
Havent tried the TCS or Pro Hunter, but will be here shortly.

I much prefer the feel of a stock, although the adjustability and ease of adjustability of a chassis is nice.

Have owned both Manners and McMillan. I still like both, but only own McMs at this point in my life. In the future, I'll need to get a hold of the Manners now that some of them have the relief cut for the thumb - just to see how it fits me. My McM preference has nothing to do with form or function. I just prefer the molded in coloring options better. If I wanted a bedding block/mini chassis and didn't want to bed...then that is an easy choice for Manners.

Last edited:
I have multiples of both brands, various styles and by far the EH1 is my favorite. I like them all as they serve their intended purpose, but if I was forced to choose one to keep, it would be the EH1.

Reactions: powdahound76
Both are great quality. Mcm is generally my preference for looks and ergonomics.
Manners has some very innovative features such as the mini chassis and even a folder ( not sure if this is still offered).
For me, the wait time to get a manners is just not practical, but if I found one I liked on a shelf I would happily buy it.

I currently own 2 rifles in McMillan stocks. One is bedded the other isn't. I wanted to see if there was an accuracy difference between the two. There isn't.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Earnhardt
I haven’t kept up lately because, you know, foundation stocks are a thing now, but back in the day the difference was construction. Mcm was basically solid fiberglass and manners was a shell with a fill. The shell with fill allowed it to be strong and lighter weight. Superior imho. And their light hunting stocks were very popular. That said, I never broke my mcm a5 adj and it was the right weight. I didn’t want it lighter or heavier.

Have and am happy with both. Also like the Bell and Carlson stocks I have as well as the HS Precision. That being said, I LOVE a well made and figured wooden stock.

Feels the same to me, but two different actions in the LRH vs the EH1, Defiance in the LRH/PH versus Tikka in the EH1-TK.

I have a 700 clone EH1 on order, hopefully it won't be to much longer and I can compare using the same action.

People have mentioned the EH1 and I liked it a lot when I had it. Is the Manners LRH grip similar to the EH1 or thicker?
I’d say it’s similar(ish). The thumb notch gives it a different feel to me. And all my EH-1s have had a shorter grip-to-trigger distance than the LRH I’ve shot.

If I were starting from scratch, I’d probably go with LRH’s (maybe). But the LRH isn’t enough of an upgrade or difference for me to swap my current EH-1s. Take that for whatever it’s worth.

I haven’t kept up lately because, you know, foundation stocks are a thing now, but back in the day the difference was construction. Mcm was basically solid fiberglass and manners was a shell with a fill. The shell with fill allowed it to be strong and lighter weight. Superior imho. And their light hunting stocks were very popular. That said, I never broke my mcm a5 adj and it was the right weight. I didn’t want it lighter or heavier.
Theyre virtually identical construction. Mcmillan has never been solid fiberglass. Both stocks are laid up as shells with fiberglass or carbon(like a boat hull), then filled up from the butt ends will varying weights and combinations of fiber/resin slurry, or foam.

To the OP, I like both. Manners has some neat features, and have stayed at the forefront of developement. Really like the micro chassis idea. For the last few years, mcmillan has been streamlining its manufacturing process to cut lead times down, but they’ve still been putting out some new models. Their lead times are way way down. Not sure where Manners is on that.

Reactions: Terry Cross
I only have one McMillian stock, it is on an Anschutz 54:18msr I bought from Champion’s shooter in 1998. Since then I have bought Manners until last week when I picked up a Foundation for my latest build.

Theyre virtually identical construction. Mcmillan has never been solid fiberglass. Both stocks are laid up as shells with fiberglass or carbon(like a boat hull), then filled up from the butt ends will varying weights and combinations of fiber/resin slurry, or foam.

To the OP, I like both. Manners has some neat features, and have stayed at the forefront of developement. Really like the micro chassis idea. For the last few years, mcmillan has been streamlining its manufacturing process to cut lead times down, but they’ve still been putting out some new models. Their lead times are way way down. Not sure where Manners is on that.
Yeah, Mcmillan leadtimes are down but there inlet selection are way down. They used to inlet for alot of actions but now you have to get a blank for some and have them inletted somewhere else which is cost prohibited…But if you have one of Bobs defiance actions you’re in luck 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
Older Sakos and older Tikka’s ,steyr …right of the top of my head…They used to inlet for almost anything…I have a few and like them…I understand it is a business decision and respect that but it’s too bad the the hunting crowd…

Reactions: Earnhardt
Older Sakos and older Tikka’s ,steyr …right of the top of my head…They used to inlet for almost anything…I have a few and like them…I understand it is a business decision and respect that but it’s too bad the the hunting crowd…
I looked into it. You're right, quite a large list of inlets they no longer do. 81 of them to be exact.

I'd really like to get my hands on a t2a. I currently have a mcmillan a3-5. I like the stock for the most part but wish I would've got the adjustable length of pull. Rather than adding it now I might just try a manners out because I also like the idea of the mini chassis. I do agree that I prefer mcmillans colors, just classic.

Ok, yes it does have that option, sorry my mind was stuck on the TCS style adjustment style. I have 2 x TCS, 2 x T4a and one T2a, I do like the T2a, it is lighter and slightly more compact that the T4a.

Manners Composite Stocks is proud to introduce a new lay-up option for our tactical line of stocks. It will be called the Elite Tactical shell option. This option will be offered in the MCS-T , T2, T3, T4, T5 and T6 series of stocks. It is just a extension of the same technology that we have been using in our Elite Hunting series stocks, but we added a bit of old school twist to it. Back when we started Manners Stocks, some of the first stocks that we produced where clear carbon fiber, this option reflects that. To start, we will offer this option in 3 different finishes, Elite GAP, Elite Midnight and Elite Clear. The GAP will be Od green, Coyote tan and clear, the Midnight has two shades of Gray and clear and the Clear is just clear. These 3 finishes will be considered a field grade finish, what this means is that small imperfections may be visible in the finish such as mold lines, sanding marks and fabric imperfections in the carbon fiber fabric caused by hand laying up. All of them will also come with our tough armour-grip textured clear flat finish over the top. The last picture below shows a complete gun built by Logan at GAP which has the Elite Clear option. The reason I posted it is to show what the Elite Clear stocks can be finished out to. It took a lot of automotive clear and Logan's time. If guys are interested in this level of finish let me know.
The total combined weight of the adj cheek stocks below is only 2.8lbs, that breaks down to 34 ounces for the stock, 5.2 ounces for the large 1" decle pad and 5.8 ounces for the KMW bullet proof hardware. As a rough guide, depending on the inlet and stock type, ( 2A, 4A, 5A or 6A adjustable cheek stock) will come in around 2.7 to 2.9 lbs. These same stocks with standard fill are anywhere from 3.7 to 3.9 lbs. This is about a 1 lb savings. For the non adj cheek versions, ( T, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6) they will come in around 32 to 35 ounces. The standard fill weight on these usually come in at 2.7 to 3.1 lbs. Just like the elite hunter stocks the ultimate goal stayed the same, to be as light as possible but still maintain the ruggedness, stiffness, stability, accuracy and ergonomics as the rest of our standard lineup of stocks. They have the same 100% carbon fiber shell and our controlled fill process as the elite hunters. They will hold up to any magnum caliber that you can throw at it. They still use our full size 9/16" pillars. Lightweight fill in non-critical areas and heavy fiber fill where needed. The heavy fill is what adds weight quickly, so we developed a process that can precisely control the amount of this material and only place it where it is most needed, example – recoil lug/front pillar area and web area in-front of the trigger. And just like our other products, they have a life time quarantee no matter if you are the first owner or the 100th. We will start taking orders for this new option Monday October 7th. That should give the office time to get the web page updated with good pictures and all the correct info. Thank you,
elitemidnight2_zps21342f06.jpg

eliteclear2_zps66c3b4a5.jpg

elitegap2_zpsdf69c29c.jpg

logan2_zps946a9121.jpg

Reactions: Mauser48