MDT 5 round mags

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I would like to buy a MDT 5 round mag but would like it without a binder plate (not a factory option). Does anyone know if you can remove the binder plate from MDT mags after you buy them?

Unfortunately @hlee is right and you cannot remove the binderplate without compromising the structure of the magazine as they are welded in place. We have been requested in the past to do a non-binderplate version of our 5 round magazines, but have never really had enough interest.

For items like this, email [email protected] to let them know you're interested!

Unfortunately @hlee is right and you cannot remove the binderplate without compromising the structure of the magazine as they are welded in place. We have been requested in the past to do a non-binderplate version of our 5 round magazines, but have never really had enough interest.

For items like this, email [email protected] to let them know you're interested!
Well given that only one person in a hundred will ask for something that they don't see on line, there may be more interest than you think. Next time you're building 5 round mags, please build me a couple without binder plates :)

Reactions: MDT_Josh
People have been drilling out binder plates and filling the holes for years.
I've drilled out several of them including the MDT 5 rounder.
Some people fill the holes with tig weld and some use epoxy.
I used JB weld epoxy and sanded them smooth after it set up and I've put dozens of rounds through them without a single problem.....

MDT 5 round
IMG_0334ab.jpg
IMG_0339a.JPG
IMG_0343a.JPG
IMG_0346a.JPG

Last edited:
People have been drilling out binder plates and filling the holes for years.
I've drilled out several of them including the MDT 5 rounder.
Some people fill the holes with tig weld and some use epoxy.
I used JB weld epoxy and sanded them smooth after it set up and I've put dozens of rounds through them without a single problem.....
Thanks for the advice. I fancy myself an amateur gunsmith so that should be easy enough to accomplish.

Reactions: JGR1953
I have removed the binder from both Accurate and AI mags. I have MDT mags but they came without a binder plate.
There many ways to do this but I did not want to weld holes, and I can weld.

I mark the spot welds on the inside of the mag, I then use a carbide burr on a dremel to remove material from the binder.
You need to make sure you dont go too deep and make sure to cut a large enough circle to remove the weld.

When I have enough material removed I take a SHARP wood chisel and a small hammer and with the flat side of the chisel up against the mag I start to peel the binder away from the mag using soft blows from the hammer.

You need to go slow and check if you have ground enough away so the the weld breaks away without damaging the mag.
If not, just stop and go back to grinding.

IMAG2219-20181222-211346918.jpg

Added a few pics of the MDT 5 rounder to my post above.....
Thanks. That appears to be a viable option as well. Would probably be a bit more time consuming than drilling but you wouldn't have to use epoxy when you're done either. I appreciate all of the comments on this. That's what I love about Sniper Hide- If I'm thinking about doing something, there are probably a half a dozen guys out there that have tried it already and have good ideas!

Thanks. That appears to be a viable option as well. Would probably be a bit more time consuming than drilling but you wouldn't have to use epoxy when you're done either. I appreciate all of the comments on this. That's what I love about Sniper Hide- If I'm thinking about doing something, there are probably a half a dozen guys out there that have tried it already and have good ideas!
I think you were meaning to respond to whatsupdoc instead of me....;)