• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

MDT Oryx - Weight adding options

NearSighted25

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2023
UNITED STATES
Appreciate any feedback on adding weight to an MDT Oryx.

With only 6 MLOK slots on the bottom of the forearm, I have only 4 to use for weight after attaching a bipod.

I am attaching brass weights from a member here to the rear 4 slots. I have considered doubling up using longer MLOK screws but am looking for other options.

What are some other ways to add considerably more weight to this build without spending more than the stock cost? How about on the inside of the forearm? The MDT ARCA rail is a lot of $ for not a lot of weight.

Thanks.

Good question as I also have an oryx and has been pondering how I can do the same. I’ve run into the same issues. I’m to the point I’m debating taking 3/4” thick bar steel x 2” wide and running it down the foregrip about 8”. Drilling holes and fastening with m lol fasteners. That should add roughly 3lbs. I’m sure as you’ve seen already, the fore grip has a weird contour towards the rear. Good luck. I’m sure someone on here has an idea.

Reactions: NearSighted25
Decoy strip type of weights in the forend.

Or, you could make a removable, adjustable weight out of lead. Attach it to an arca clamp.

10.2#

20230104_153300.jpg

That’s sort of the issue with the oryx, it’s not a comp chassis, it is what it is.
Edit: get out the drill and taps
I agree with you. I have two rifles in Oryx chassis. I use them for hunting. If I needed lots of weight, I would consider buying a different chassis with more mass.

But for hunting, with a 6.5 lb rifle and the chassis is 4.2 lbs and add some ammo in an AICS metal mag (my 7 PRC uses the .300 WM mag,) and that is just about all the weight I want to carry in the woods.

OTOH, I am sure some enterprising engineering might create a solution.

Or go to the website and contact them and tell them what you want to do with it.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
How is the barstock fastened?
I poured shotgun shell bb s in the channel on the bottom of the stock then poured epoxy on top of that then press fit the brass bar onto the stock and it was a perfect fit. The channel is one inch i believe and amazon sells that brass stock. 1 inch by 8 inch by 3/8 inch if memory serves me Lead shot worked out great