• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Medal of Honor Recipient Sues BAE Systems.

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
I worked there for 15 years. Laid off with everyone that had over 5 years experience so they could underbid all contractors..

Was a good company to me.

However, when one earns the medal of honor I believe there are 36 reviews that you go through to ensure you are mentally stable.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
Marine Who Received Medal of Honor Fights Allegations He is Mentally Unstable
By OLIVIA KATRANDJIAN | ABC News – 5 hrs agoShare2EmailPrintRelated ContentMarine Who Received Medal of Honor Fights Allegations He is Mentally Unstable (ABC …
In September, President Obama awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation's most prestigious military award, to Sgt. Dakota Meyer, the marine who saved 36 of his comrades during an ambush in Afghanistan.

Obama called Meyer one of the most "down-to-earth guys that you will ever meet."

But today Meyer, 23, is having trouble getting a job because of allegations by defense contractor BAE Systems that he has a drinking problem and is mentally unstable. Meyer filed legal papers Monday claiming the allegations were in retaliation for objections he raised about BAE's alleged decision to sell high-tech sniper scopes to the Pakistani military.

After leaving active duty in May 2010, Meyer worked at Ausgar Technologies, a service-disabled veteran-owned small business in California, until April 2011.

"He exhibited a maturity for his age and an insightful capability to get the job done and provide recommendations to improve on what we are doing. I was very impressed while he was working for us. He was an outstanding employee," Tom Grant, a retired military naval officer and a senior program manager at Ausgar Technologies, told ABC News.

When asked about the allegations of mental instability and a drinking problem, Grant said, "While Meyer was working for me, I never saw evidence of either of those issues."

In March 2011, Meyer began working at BAE Systems, a British military contracting company, where he learned the company was trying to sell advanced thermal optic scopes to the Pakistani military.

"We are taking the best gear, the best technology on the market to date and giving it to guys known to stab us in the back," Meyer wrote to BAE Systems manager Bobby McCreight, his former co-worker, according to the lawsuit. "These are the same people killing our guys."

But BAE Systems is claiming that that decision is not up to them.

"The U.S. Department of State, not BAE Systems, makes the decision on what defense-related products can be exported. In recent years, the U.S. Government has approved the export of defense-related goods from numerous defense companies to Pakistan as part of the United States' bilateral relationship with that country," said Brian J. Roehrkasse, the vice president of public relations at BAE, in a statement.

In May 2011, Meyer gave his two weeks notice to BAE Systems and applied to return to Ausgar Technologies. He was approved by the U.S. government for the job, but the Ausgar hiring manager informed Meyer that he would not be hired because of allegations made by former marine McCreight.

Meyer is now suing McCreight for telling "the government program manager that Mr. Meyer should not be hired for reasons that are false and defamatory," according to Meyer's original petition.

According to Roehrkasse, BAE Systems strongly disagrees with Meyer's claims and intends to "vigorously defend [themselves] through the appropriate legal process."

</span>

Re: Medal of Honor Recipient Sues BAE Systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still fighting for the guy on the ground. </div></div>

Yup. Go get em

Look at Pappy Boyington, hocked his MOH, and died destitute. Way to go America, we pay sports figures millions,rappers millions,but our HERO's they wont even listen too.

I agree sue the hell out of them and I hope he wins and never has to work again to earn money and sit back and do what he loves to do not what he has to do to earn a paycheck.

I hate to be the guy who argues though about paying people that play sports a lot of money. I know they make too much money but that is only because millions of people watch them.. if everyone stopped watching (insert sport here) on TV and stopped buying products they wouldnt make as much money.

Sorry to say that 99% of people here would not be able to get millions of people to watch them work for up to 2 hours including myself! Just sayin'

To me only logical conclusion is:

if you fight valiantly (forget for a moment one does so primarily for their friends and "guy next to you") and rush into ambush five times in the face of certain death to save lives you are crazy and unstable and unfit to work for gov. contractor or government per se. What message is this for existing and would be soldiers - way to go and i think people should finally get through their thick skulls that governments everywhere are not working for betterment of the people but of their and their cronies bank accounts and their twisted lifestyle at the expense of everyone else.

Well I hope BAE takes it up the ass big time on this one.

That's just like a contract company- to lie and fuck people over for what they want. Someone needs to hold them accountable. The relationship with pakistan is in the toilet- they are kicking the US out, and that means Dakota Meyer was right, and BAE was wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity anyone know which optical company BAE owns? </div></div>

Here is one
smile.gif

http://www.baesystems.com/Newsroom/NewsReleases/autoGen_111417115322.html

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know how we can donate to fund this suite?

</div></div>

If the lawyer has brains, and Dakota has proof- he's probably going to get paid out of the settlement money.

The company behavior according to the story is ridiculous, and they are taking tons of shit PR for this. BAE is made of money- they make million dollar vehicles for the military and do contract training classes, contract intel- contract maintenance etc.

The work is military work. This negative PR is probably costing a couple hundred grand a day.

He quit, apparently of the response he got about Thermal sights to the Pakis. naturally the State Department has control over those restricted imports, but I undertand his displeasure.I don't think there are any vettings of your mental status when you get the Medal of Honor. You were on active duty and your action speak for themselves. They don't interview a candidate about it until well after, if even then. They interview the others there and make sure the story is true. Lots of guys with foibles and character deficiencies have gotten them. It's based on what you did, not on who you are, even if you were a shitbird, which Meyer wasn't.
But for BAE this is a PR nightmare, and they actually have to prve what they said about him. Barring him being involved in actual documented Police incidents involving alchohol and a documented trip to Rehab and the Psych unit they aren't going to win this one in court.
He was there like 3 months, and walked off because of a moral conflict with the company. they had no justification for slandering him afterwards.
As I recall one benifit you get as a MOH wearer is that you get all your Federal Income Tax returned at the end of the year. Some, if not all, States do the same. You also get a stipend every month from a foundation, something like $1,500 or $1,000. I think there is some kinda education scholarship available to him and his kids too.
I know his kids can go to any military Academy they want.
I doubt Meyer will have much trouble finding work these days. IMO, he needs to get his ass in college rickytick.
And he can always reenlist. That has happened before.

Looks like BAE made this go away as quietly as possible...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/15/us/medal-winner-lawsuit/index.html

"During my time there I became concerned about the possible sale of advanced thermal scopes to Pakistan. I expressed my concerns directly and respectfully," Meyer said. "I am gratified to learn that BAE Systems OASYS did not ultimately sell and does not intend to sell advanced thermal scopes to Pakistan."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like BAE made this go away as quietly as possible...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/15/us/medal-winner-lawsuit/index.html

"During my time there I became concerned about the possible sale of advanced thermal scopes to Pakistan. I expressed my concerns directly and respectfully," Meyer said. "I am gratified to learn that BAE Systems OASYS did not ultimately sell and does not intend to sell advanced thermal scopes to Pakistan." </div></div>

Wonder how much input DOD had in BAE's shutting the fuck up.

I hope he got a settlement.

Contracting companies fuck people around all the time. I have no doubt they did try to blacklist him in the industry, and for it he deserves a monetary settlement of probably 2-3 million because he's probably not a guy any similar company is going to want to hire in the future and that's BS, because it looks like the issue was all on BAE's side of the table.