Rifle Scopes Mil dot vs. TMR

Legionaire

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
CA, USA
Hey everyone, looking at getting a leupold mk4 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Tactical Milling Reticle (TMR) on this scope and how it compared to the standard Mil dot

Re: Mil dot vs. TMR

I have one with the TMR, but unfortunately have not used a mil dot. My other is a Nightforce with a MLR, pretty much the same thing. One thing I really like about Leupold's TMR is that the crosshairs do not intersect. They taper to a point, but there's this tiny amount of blank space that really helps me with my hold. I use the old-school benchrest heavy black box for my load development targets, and even with just 10X, I have no problem with a precise hold, just get that blank spot over the empty center of the box, and I know I'm on. I also imagine holding for windage with the ticks rather than dots is more precise, but again, I haven't really used a dot the way I have used my TMR. I like it.

I hope this helps.

I love the TMR. Its only 10x as well, but with the open center it really helps with your hold. I have another Mk4 with the standard Mil Dot and I much prefer the TMR.

I have a Nightforce with a MLR(Tactical Milling Reticle) and I love it. I have had scopes with Mildot reticles before and although I never really used those for ranging or milling much when I did I found it not as exacting as tactical milling. Tactical Milling makes for less guess work. Just my humble opinion. If you get the TMR reticle I promise you wont be upset.

TMR works well. If punching paper for groups, it helps to match the bullseye size and yardage appropriately with the opening of the TMR center. This often beats a reticle intersection that covers a small aiming point.

TMR. My Leupold has TMR and I've used a buddies that has MilDot. The TMR is simply an improved MilDot reticle in my opinion. No dots to obstruct the view and 1 mil and .5 mil hash marks instead of only 1 mil.

I'll go the other way and say I prefer Mil-dots on a lower powered scope. When I'm just trying to hit a target while shooting offhand as opposed to shooting groups, its easier to hold off with dots as opposed to hashes at 3-4X. The mil-dot reticule is not as cluttered as the TMR, which is important when making fast offhand shots. Shooting prone or benchrest is another story however.

The TMR is a clean reticle. Especially on when you consider the line quality of the TMR on the Mark IV M5 FFP scopes. For an FFP scope under $2k, it comes out very nice.

Here's a pic of the TMR on the Leupold Mark IV M5 6.5-20x at 20x:

5242941544_194be2aeae_b.jpg

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

Really like the TMR as well. I've had both mildot and TMR and would practice ranging objects of different sizes at known distances just to get some practice in. Was always closer to the mark with the TMR.