Mile with the 338 110ba & 308

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I met up with JTG today and he was kind enough to take me to his LR spot. It was a fun time and I want to thank him for taking me out there and imparting some knowledge. I'm excited to go again sometime soon.

The setup
    IMG_1506forum.jpg

I was finally able to stretch my 110BA's legs. Previously the only shots I put through it was sighting it in at 200 yds. Unfortunately the only ammo I have right now is the factory HSM 250smk's. At the closer range, they printed at about 1.5moa, as expected from 'cheap' ammo.

The distances were: 555 yds,990yds, 1457yds and 1760 yds.

Even with the HSM ammo I ended up being able to hit the 1457 and 1760 with the 110ba. 1457 was definitely a bunch easier than a mile. Later after we took a look at the mile target, we noticed that what we believe are my hits, looked different than regular hits. It looks like they may have keyholed at a mile, which is surprising since I was able to hit 2 in a row and only inches away from each other on the plate. I'm excited to see how it does when I go through all the HSM ammo and start my 300gr berger reloads.

Here's the mile target. My hits are on the very left above center. JTG's hits were all the large splashes...
    1760forum.jpg

Here's me and my GF getting ready to shoot (A.K.A totally faking it and posing for the camera)
    IMG_1501forum.jpg

Here's a video of a mile hit with JTG's very nice Surgeon. You can hear the ping several seconds later if you turn up the volume.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8JGY8mKB1c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8JGY8mKB1c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

The 110BA was fun to shoot and I'm excited to see how it does with some quality ammo.

The rifle that ended up impressing me today was my 308. It felt like a tackdriver today. Feeding it SW's 175 loads, I successfully took it out to 1457 with minimal effort. It took 1 round to get on target, then I hit 2 in a row and dropped the 4th. Later that session JTG ended up getting behind my 308 and hitting that same target on what I believe was his 2nd shot. Overall impressed with the distance it went without erratic behavior from the wind. I tried to send 2 shots at a mile, but there wasn't enough energy in the bullet for either of us to see the splash, so without that feedback it was pointless to try again.

More to come soon!

Re: Mile with the 338 110ba & 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnum Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man I cant wait to take my savage out west to give a go at those distances.</div></div>
    Its a good time. The sun gets killer around noon though!

At a mile a .308 has plenty enough energy to make splash the hardest part is being able to see it at that range. if you kept it up im sure you could have hit the 1 mile target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a mile a .308 has plenty enough energy to make splash the hardest part is being able to see it at that range. if you kept it up im sure you could have hit the 1 mile target.</div></div>

Yea it definitely has enough energy to make a splash, I guess what I meant is with our terrain we could not see the splash. Thinking about it a little more, I should have probably aimed lower, because it would of been easy to see splash below it.. regardless we had our 338's right there, so I wasn't really too worried about using the 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like an awesome day of shooting. Nice ya share it with your gal. Is that in Arizona? PM me the location if ya don't mind. I live in Chandler.</div></div>

Unfortunately its not my location, so not my right to give out.