• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Minimum barrel length and ideal twist for 6.5CM

alpine44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
North Carolina
I am close to breaking down and making a 6.5CM barrel for my SCAR 17S. This gun deserves more than the factory 16" 1-12 tube in 7.62.

What would be the shortest barrel length and the best twist to make 1000 yards with some breathing room?

Nobody having an opinion?

Let's expand this to include the modern 6mm cartridges.

(And do not worry about supporting the longer barrel in the receiver and about gas port location. I have some solutions for this.)

Would you be interested in making 2? I originally purchased my scar with the intention of getting a 260 kit from hi desert. Only later to find they are to busy to answer any questions let alone produce product for the general public.

Thanks guys, that helped a lot.

Extending the range of the SCAR 17 would only make sense if the precision is there.

The 16.5-18" barrels should work with the factory gas port location and the factory 4 screw extension. On anything longer it may become necessary to beef up the receiver/extension interface and/or to move the gas port forward.

I am planning to start with a port-less barrel in bolt action mode to get a baseline accuracy value. In parallel, or if the premium barrels are back ordered, I would like to experiment with gas port locations on a cheap GM barrel. The current port location is already very close to the breach IMO and extending the barrel length would make that only worse. A simple hack would use an AR block over the gas hole with a short tube running to the FN piston block.

It would be very helpful if anyone had pressure curves for the cartridges in question (308, 6.5CM, 6CM, etc.)

One question before ordering the parts is whether the caliber should be 6mm or 6.5mm. I think a semi-auto makes more sense if you can easily spot your own shots and the 6mm may have the edge there. The other question is which cartridge would be most tolerant to the brutal feeding cycle and allows full C.O.A L. in the factory magazine.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I've been watching hoping to see someones results with a sub 18" creedmore or 260. I suspect, the popular powders need the 20"+ of barrel because of how slow they burn. If you decided to go with a creedmore I'll be following to see what velocities you get.

If I may I'd like to offer a suggestion, as long as you're in the experimental mind frame. In testing alternate cartridges for the military the AMU had taken a Grendel(6.5mmx39) and with all else being the same did some testing with a 6.5mmx45 based on the Carcano case. The carcano I believe can utilize a .308 bolt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

This might be worth looking into. I'd suspect this cartridge would work well with many of the powders that work for the Grendel and more that work for the .308 that the Grendel doesn't have the case capacity to utilize.

I've been watching hoping to see someones results with a sub 18" creedmore or 260. I suspect, the popular powders need the 20"+ of barrel because of how slow they burn. If you decided to go with a creedmore I'll be following to see what velocities you get.

If I may I'd like to offer a suggestion, as long as you're in the experimental mind frame. In testing alternate cartridges for the military the AMU had taken a Grendel(6.5mmx39) and with all else being the same did some testing with a 6.5mmx45 based on the Carcano case. The carcano I believe can utilize a .308 bolt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

This might be worth looking into. I'd suspect this cartridge would work well with many of the powders that work for the Grendel and more that work for the .308 that the Grendel doesn't have the case capacity to utilize.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Grossly simplifying the very complex science of internal ballistics, one could say that the burn rate of the powder has to match the volume increase of the space behind the bullet as the bullet moves down the barrel. Shotgun shells for example need very fast powders because the volume for the burning powder has already doubled by the time the wad leaves the shell. With a too slow burning powder, the pressure will drop quickly and the powder will eventually stop burning.

If OTOH we want to burn a large amount of powder behind a small diameter bullet (= slow volume increase), we need a slow powder; otherwise the pressure would get out of hand.

Looking at how quickly the volume behind the bullet grows, it should not surprise that the .22 Hornet, the .44 Magnum and the 300AAC are all very happy with powders like H110 or Lilgun. While the cartridges have vastly different bullet diameters and weights, their relative volume expansion rates are in the same ballpark.

The Grendel can and should use faster burning powders among the 6.5mm offerings because the case volume is much smaller than a 6.5CM or similar cartridges. Therefore, the relative volume increase of the Grendel will be larger as the bullet travels down the bore and we need to make up for this with a faster burn rate.

Obviously, shoulder angle and other case dimensions play a role as well as the weight/hardness of the bullet, energy density of the powder and other details, but roughly speaking, large case volume with any given bullet diameter and weight requires slower powders than small case volume with the same bullet diameter/weight.

If we would design a new case that uses a similar powder volume to shoot the same bullets as the 6.5CM, we would end up with a very similar powder burn rate and would need a very similar barrel length to get to the same muzzle velocity.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Thanks for the excellent info.

A 16.5"-18" barrel would make things much simpler and would not require any modification of barrel extension or gas block. (I do not get a fuzzy feeling about hanging a 24"+ tube on the 17S extension and tapping gas before the bullet is even halfway down the barrel.)

Do we have similar data for the newer 6mm cartridges or for the venerable .243 Win?

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent info.

A 16.5"-18" barrel would make things much simpler and would not require any modification of barrel extension or gas block. (I do not get a fuzzy feeling about hanging a 24"+ tube on the 17S extension and tapping gas before the bullet is even halfway down the barrel.)

Do we have similar data for the newer 6mm cartridges or for the venerable .243 Win?

Not yet but if we get bored enough we will probably do one in 6mm Creedmoor ;)

Not a gas gun but here is a pictures of a 16.5" 6.5 Creedmoor running 123 Scenars @ 2820 fps with 40.5 grains of Varget. The suppressor is an Elite Iron.

Last edited: