• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

MK 11 Mod 0 project completed (poor man's version w/ LMT lower and KAC upper)

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
Just some pics of my 'poor mans' Mk 11 Mod 0 replica. It has an LMT lower and a KAC upper. Scope is a MIL-SPEC marked NF 3.5-15x. Project started w/ a salty original Mk 11 case that I bought five years ago. I think it was in a batch from a gov't auction.
IMG_5213.jpg

Yep, I bought this case in October 2019, and decided that one day I should try to fill it with an AR-10 type of rifle...
IMG_2360.jpg

...so I purchased a stripped LMT lower and then started a long journey...
LMT_lower_left.jpg

...Five years later, now the rifle just needs the discontinued ‘Big knob’ KAC rear sight. (A buddy found one that he is going to send me with some other items this month). Unfortunately I didn't buy a KAC suppressor for it back in 2019-2020 for $1700 - before they were discontinued. That was a mistake.
1728068713047.jpeg

1728068760917.jpeg

The AN/PEQ-2A is dated Feb 2007, so its sort-of period correct as well.
1728068801372.jpeg

1728068834337.jpeg

For those who noticed the inventory stickers on bottom right side of the case. The original sticker for the Leupold 3.5-10x40mm scope was removed and handwritten in white ink pen is "SCOPE Q04328." That serial number correlates with a 2005-06 era Nightforce 3.5-15x militay scope. SOCOM awarded NightForce its first contract in July 2005, and some Mk 11 Mod 0s got these updated NF scopes in the 2005-6 era. The MIL-SPEC NF 3.5-15x scope seen here is a "P" prefix and from that same era. Just a random detail re the old case and the scope that I used. (This was not planned, as I didn't realize this coincidence until I called Nightforce, and asked them about the two serial numbers and prefixes).
1728068860882.jpeg

Got lucky with this period correct NF “MIL-SPEC” 3.5-15x50mm scope, and in mid-2024 finally found a set of the hard to find KAC rings.
1728068916084.jpeg

I shot it last weekend at a Quantico Shooting Club event for the first time. I cleaned the target at 300 yards with a 150-7x score with Federal 175 Gold Medal Match ammo. No complaints from me, except for the high cost of finally putting this replica Mk 11 Mod 0 together. Happy Friday.

Last edited:
It would not be blasphemous. I watched the whole Griffen video posted by Sinister and the owner of the company noted that they were making only 50 each of the three KAC style suppressors. I went to their website last month and saw that they were sold out of both the Mk 11 and M110 cans, so I missed the boat on that suppressor. I think they were made in 2023, but I need to contact them to see if any more will be made. I would like one if I can find one for less than $2k.

Reactions: sinister and FatBoy
It would not be blasphemous. I watched the whole Griffen video posted by Sinister and the owner of the company noted that they were making only 50 each of the three KAC style suppressors. I went to their website last month and saw that they were sold out of both the Mk 11 and M110 cans, so I missed the boat on that suppressor. I think they were made in 2023, but I need to contact them to see if any more will be made. I would like one if I can find one for less than $2k.

There is a market for them. I get batching them, but somebody has to recognize there is opportunity.

It seems like reflex cans may be making a small comeback.

As for the rifle. Did you have the barrel made? It certainly shoots.

Original gas manifold or one of the current reproductions? I ask because we are seeing more and more companies step up and product products to reproduce these style rifles and I’m curious about the quality. The mk11 was the 2nd rifle I ever wanted to “clone”, right behind the m21. Strangely enough, I don’t have either…

As for the rifle. Did you have the barrel made? It certainly shoots.
It’s a late 1990s era KAC upper and original KAC Obermeyer barrel. Indeed, everything on the upper is KAC except the flip-up front sight. I bought the repo part that you see on gunbroker, as I could not find an original. The KAC buffer tube is also from the late 1990s Special Light Match SR-25, which used the 20” barrel. The “SP.L.Match” model became the Mk 11 in 2000.
IMG_6475.jpeg

Reactions: FatBoy