• 12 Hours Left: Use code HIDE40 to get 40% off subscriptions

You've got until midnight to get 40% off. Pick your plan below!

Subscribe

MK 12 Mod 1

Ntxglock

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2023
Sherman, Tx
I finally was able to get the MK 12 KAC FF RAS.
Supposed to arrive Thursday. Had been on waiting
list 5 years.

Anyway, I need to select a barrel. I have a spare Colt
upper I plan to use with SF 3P muzzle device.

I want rifle gas. I only find it in Criterion. Others
I’ve looked at are intermediate length including Noveske’s
Rival v2 barrel (17” too).

The Criterion Core is being considered b/c its rifle length gas.
What others are there? Pri? Theirs are Douglas barrels. Not sure
the gas length though. I want it accurate.

Tia guys

Which is the better barrel, Centurion or Douglas (Pri) or Noveske? I have some Noveske
barrels (.308/6.5cm). While I can’t speak to the 6.5cm because I haven't fired that one yet, but I know
the .308’s are accurate barrels.

I’ve read that Douglas is accurate. I suspect Centurion is as well, I love their rails. But I have
the Knights rail coming.

I’m not needing/wanting an exact mk12 clone. I found out that the mod 0 rail is available and I like that rail.
I don’t have anything like that now. I’m really soul searching if I want to use the KAC rail or not.

What’s the downside using mod 0 rail? I’m not interested in the ARMS sights. To difficult to obtain.
Every time I look at their website, notta nothing in stock.

Which is the better barrel, Centurion or Douglas (Pri) or Noveske? I have some Noveske
barrels (.308/6.5cm). While I can’t speak to the 6.5cm because I haven't fired that one yet, but I know
the .308’s are accurate barrels.

I’ve read that Douglas is accurate. I suspect Centurion is as well, I love their rails. But I have
the Knights rail coming.

I’m not needing/wanting an exact mk12 clone. I found out that the mod 0 rail is available and I like that rail.
I don’t have anything like that now. I’m really soul searching if I want to use the KAC rail or not.

What’s the downside using mod 0 rail? I’m not interested in the ARMS sights. To difficult to obtain.
Every time I look at their website, notta nothing in stock.
Douglas Mk12 18" spr bbl, 7 twist. I bought mine in my mod H from PRI and my Mod 1 from another Hide member. Both are hammers. I think Centurion Arms uses Douglas blanks but not totally sure, you can call them to confirm or deny if no one else does beforehand.

You waited 5 years, do a true Mk12 Mod 1 build. That’s my advice. It’s my favorite AR pattern rifle by far.

Douglas barrels are good.
All you really need is the gas block, collar, and AE muzzle device.

With wait times for suppressors sub 1 week for individuals it’s worth getting the Allen can too.

Thanks guys.

Can I ask?
1) what is the purpose of a collar? As I understand it, its the threads
around where the muzzle device threads? I’m going with a Surefire 3P adapter.

2) Which is better re: port size using rifle gas with and without a can?
A larger port I suspect?

Last edited:
FWIW.. Criterion also has a Fluted RLGS 18" SS416R Polished. Its Rifle length GP is considerably smaller then the Centurion 18"RLGS I just bought.
Centurion 18" RLGS, .101" gas port size.... The 18" Fluted SS RLGS Criterion has a .092" gas port size
https://criterionbarrels.com/produc...d/ar-15-fluted-contour-barrel/?v=7516fd43adaa
Hey bfoosh! Thanks

The first place I looked was Douglas's website. I sent them an email and they replied
they don't make the (Mk12) SPR barrel.

Then I looked @Criterion. I know they make barrels that shoot as well as I do, LOL.
That .308 I have w/their barrel is my fav.

The next place was Noveske. Their Rival v2 barrel is intermediate gas length and it's 17".
I think I want minimum 18" since this rifles only purpose is accuracy at max range.

Then after I posted I was told Pri. That ruined me. They got stuff, and it's in stock!! Choices!!

Years back, there were no mod 0 rails anywhere at the time I first started down this path. I do like
them and I don't have anything like that. I wasn't really in the mood to do more 5.56's. I'm already having
to separate them (5.56's) to secure them to make space for AR10's.

Now that dam black bug has bit me again. Dam black bugs, LOL. I'm all in for at least one, maybe two of these.
I already have the frames.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Thanks guys.

Can I ask?
1) what is the purpose of a collar? As I understand it, its the threads
around where the muzzle device threads? I’m going with a Surefire 3P adapter.

2) Which is better re: port size using rifle gas with and without a can?
If you're going with a Surefire adaptor, you're not building an SPR as they all came with the Ops Inc docking collar, which centers the Ops Inc 12th model suppressor as it's an over-the-barrel design. I'd buy the Allen Engineering AEM5 as that's identical to the Ops Inc 12th model and will work perfectly with your Mk 12 Mod 0 (as well as mod1 and H if you decide to convert in the future).

If you purchase a genuine SPR barrel from either Douglas, White Oak Armory, Criterion, etc where the barrel, including the gas port, is all per the original Douglass SPR contract specs then you won't have to worry about proper function with or without a can, assuming your ammo isn't somehow defective, undercharged or over-pressurized.

If you're going with a Surefire adaptor, you're not building an SPR as they all came with the Ops Inc docking collar, which centers the Ops Inc 12th model suppressor as it's an over-the-barrel design. I'd buy the Allen Engineering AEM5 as that's identical to the Ops Inc 12th model and will work perfectly with your Mk 12 Mod 0 (as well as mod1 and H if you decide to convert in the future).

If you purchase a genuine SPR barrel from either Douglas, White Oak Armory, Criterion, etc where the barrel, including the gas port, is all per the original Douglass SPR contract specs then you won't have to worry about proper function with or without a can, assuming your ammo isn't somehow defective, undercharged or over-pressurized.

Thanks much.

Re: Suppressors. I've always wanted to stay with same brand of suppressor so that way I can use them across most of my rifles. @least 85% of all my builds have Surefire's 3P adapters on them (both AR15 and AR10's). So, I suppose I have another decision to make.

Other than having a true clone of Mod 0 and Mod 1, what would be my advantage by selecting a different suppressor dedicated to only that rifle?

Add: Does Mod 0 and mod 1 require me to select the above (your post)? I understand for the true clone it must be. Can I use Surefire on these barrels? (I may select one of each, Douglas and either Criterion or White Oak barrels).

You can use the Surefire just fine. The AEM5 can is the correct one for the clone. It also has the advantage of being one of the quietest supressors for 5.56 for some reason. It’s still my favorite to shoot because of that. Something about the tone.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Thanks much.

Re: Suppressors. I've always wanted to stay with same brand of suppressor so that way I can use them across most of my rifles. @least 85% of all my builds have Surefire's 3P adapters on them (both AR15 and AR10's). So, I suppose I have another decision to make.

Other than having a true clone of Mod 0 and Mod 1, what would be my advantage by selecting a different suppressor dedicated to only that rifle?

Add: Does Mod 0 and mod 1 require me to select the above (your post)? I understand for the true clone it must be. Can I use Surefire on these barrels? (I may select one of each, Douglas and either Criterion or White Oak barrels).
It's totally up to you...I run all KAC and Surefire cans on my other rifles so completely understand where you're coming from...But if you want a 'clone-correct' SPR (and there is only three variants of SPR) then you'll want to run the AEM5 (I think Otter Creek also makes a suppressor that is essentially the same thing as well).

ETA - You're basically cloning the "Mk 12 Mod 0" shown in Live Free or Die Hard, used by the French sniper working for the 'bad guys' - it's a neat looking rifle that I believe features a Surefire suppressor instead of an Ops Inc

1719423125376.png

1719423243342.png

Last edited:
I finally was able to get the MK 12 KAC FF RAS.
Supposed to arrive Thursday. Had been on waiting
list 5 years.

Anyway, I need to select a barrel. I have a spare Colt
upper I plan to use with SF 3P muzzle device.

I want rifle gas. I only find it in Criterion. Others
I’ve looked at are intermediate length including Noveske’s
Rival v2 barrel (17” too).

The Criterion Core is being considered b/c its rifle length gas.
What others are there? Pri? Theirs are Douglas barrels. Not sure
the gas length though. I want it accurate.

Tia guys
Get a White Oak Armament Barrel. They're affordable and shoot lights out.

Get a Douglas 1:7 18" from PRI if you want to do a mk12 Mod1.

I have a Mk12 Mod0 and Mk12 Mod1. I am about to toss a Mk5 on the Mod 1 to match the Mod0. It is much lighter than the Mod0. The Mod0 does have a Bartlein 1:7 18" from CLE.

I kind of agree with @LRRPF52 that the NSW Recce is a super unique build. Without realizing, I had actually built a similar rifle using a BCM QRF12 and a Douglas 16" 1:7 from PRI as one of my primary rifles. It's stupid quiet and accurate. A RAS FF Long and a 15.1" barrel would be sweet although I think a 1-8 or 1-10 FFP is a better optic choice than the NSW in the picture above. Personal preference.

Attachments

• PXL_20240603_141143142.jpg
    PXL_20240603_141143142.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20231125_125543935.jpg
    PXL_20231125_125543935.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20240525_225225191.jpg
    PXL_20240525_225225191.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20240111_013525426.jpg
    PXL_20240111_013525426.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: AMGtuned and nn8734
Mk.12s are great to shoot from the prone, bench, or off a tripod. Once you go to shoot kneeling, seated, or other alternate positions, they don’t balance well even when slung-up. Seated isn’t too bad if you have a larger torso and a lot of experience shooting that way, but the others are a pain.

This is just one reason why I like the shorter guns suppressed. That 15.1” SEAL Recce Carbine with the KAC FF RAS is about as long as I would want to go once you start shooting positions, and it still isn’t bad to run in the house. Still easy to clear rooms and maneuver with, unlike the Mk.12 (beside the Mod-H).

No appreciable difference in ballistics either. I wouldn’t even do one in 5.56 after shooting 5.56 on steel for the past 30+ years, with another 7 years prior to that shooting water jugs and paper or E-types. Great for 200-300, weak at 400 to where you can barely hear impacts on a crosswind day (which is almost every day for me). If you’re out East of the Mississippi with lots of tree baffling, you should be able to hear your hits better at 400yds, but they will get anemic at 500yds/barely audible even with a small wind. Maybe it’s just my ears.

Reactions: Bakwa