• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mk12 mod 1 or NSW Recce

Remington92

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Picked up a Kac ras ff long recently and trying to decide what to put it on. Recently I finished up a mk12 mod 0 and love how it shoots. So that brings me to a mod1 or a nsw recce. Also have a ocm5 in jail. What would yall recommend or is there something else I should be looking at to use it on?

Mk12 mod 1
20240812_155345.jpg

20240812_160137.jpg

Picked up a Kac ras ff long recently and trying to decide what to put it on. Recently I finished up a mk12 mod 0 and love how it shoots. So that brings me to a mod1 or a nsw recce. Also have a ocm5 in jail. What would yall recommend or is there something else I should be looking at to use it on?
NSW Recce easy answer. Mk.12s are great from the prone and tripods, but are difficult to shoot from positions, a little ungainly to carry around and store/encase. There is no real ballistic advantage that you will see downrange between 18” and 15.1” since the projectile weights are so tiny with 5.56.

iu

The best thing you can do with one of these builds is chamber it in Grendel if you actually shoot steel.

If it’s just for looks and social media clicks, it doesn’t matter.

From having these types of guns come through courses over the past 2 decades, I just feel like 5.56 is putting an old school 4-banger or 2.8L in a muscle car. You can dress is all up nicely on the outside, but it’s just gutless under the hood with 5.56, no way around that.

If you invest thousands into something like this, it should hit the steel hard, not take little paint chips off it and make a little noise.

Reactions: ut755ln and NHPiper
This is one of the earlier types that pre-dated it when knurled float tubes were used and the Ops Inc. can sleeved from inside:

iu

One of the reasons for going to the KAC FF RAS Rifle-length was to accommodate the clip-on NOD in front of the scope, vs the SIMRAD mount you can see above on top of the Leupold. SIMRAD was ungainly.

But when clipping-on in front, the LAM had to go to the side, and then where does the WPL go, etc. Quad rail just gave more options to configure for Renting the Night.

The older tube guns are a bit handier, lighter, relatively unknown since they were mostly 1990s carbines used by Recce Troops in both units, starting on the Army side.

NSW Recce easy answer. Mk.12s are great from the prone and tripods, but are difficult to shoot from positions, a little ungainly to carry around and store/encase. There is no real ballistic advantage that you will see downrange between 18” and 15.1” since the projectile weights are so tiny with 5.56.

iu

The best thing you can do with one of these builds is chamber it in Grendel if you actually shoot steel.

If it’s just for looks and social media clicks, it doesn’t matter.

From having these types of guns come through courses over the past 2 decades, I just feel like 5.56 is putting an old school 4-banger or 2.8L in a muscle car. You can dress is all up nicely on the outside, but it’s just gutless under the hood with 5.56, no way around that.

If you invest thousands into something like this, it should hit the steel hard, not take little paint chips off it and make a little noise.
Can you get a can for larger calibers that is clone correct looking?

Wow. Sounds like a fun project. If you dont have the Mk12 Mod 1, I would clearly go that route, but a RECCE rifle is also a great choice. You can opt for a larger diameter AEM can, and go with .308 and 5.56 and even 6.5 in between if you want to be versatile, and make a Gordon carbine with a 12.5" barrel. :cool: