• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Mk12 suppressor history - OPS Inc, Allen Engineering, etc.

longshot2000

Sniper's Hide Dealer: CHARLIE'S
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2017
    Northern VA
    charliescustomclones.com
    I spent some time digging through some old documents and talking to Ron and Alex and others. It took a lot more time than I anticipated, but wanted to share, for anyone interested in the over-the-barrel Mk12, M24, Gordon 723 suppressors from OPS Inc, and later Allen Engineering.

I guess I came to the suppressor field much later in life, and to me, Knights and Surefire and even Silencerco were the names I saw as "old." What is striking is to go back in time and look at how little suppressors were used on civilian rifles, and then look to the military and see that in the 1980s and 1990s, OPS Inc was the name of the game. And then, to see that the guy who developed the Surefire fast attach suppressors worked for Seberger at OPS Inc., and the initial KAC designs of over the barrel suppressors were mimicking what was available at the time: OPS Inc silencers.

Anyway, offered here to share.

No commercials (other than pop-ups that we are trying to disable). Additionally, for anyone with better information, I am open to edits. This is the best of the information I could find, but that does not mean it is all gospel. :cool:

History of the OPS Inc suppressors and the AEM cans that followed

Mk12 rifle.png

The world of firearms has seen many trends over the past quarter-century, but few have been as significant as the rise of suppressors. Among these, the OPS Inc #12 suppressor stands out as a pivotal development in both engineering and military applications.

This blog delves into the rich history of OPS Inc, its transition to Allen Engineering, and the subsequent developments that have shaped the modern suppressor market. Let's explore the origins of these innovative designs, their adoption by elite military units, and their enduring legacy in both military and civilian circles. From the visionary work of Phil Seberger to the precision craftsmanship of Ron Allen, and the rise of new faces, this article provides a look at a fascinating chapter in firearms history.

And, chances are you did not know just how cutting edge the OPS, Inc. suppressors were for their time. We take so much for granted today about suppressors, but before GWOT, OPS, Inc. was the gold standard of suppressed fire. Today, only us clone nerds even recognize the name. Before Silencerco, before Dead Air, before Surefire, OPS Inc was the bees knees.

And this rich military history still comes alive with Allen Engineering and the Mk12 rifle. And you can experience history - the best way - by shooting it !!!

I invite you to read more about this rich history, and how OPS Inc came to be the major player in suppressors prior to GWOT, and shaped many of the brands that came after. Read about how Ron Allen took the AEM5 suppressor to the Mk12 clone enthusiast market, and how the OCM5 bridged a gap with a clone of the actual AEM5 at a time when Allen production was not keeping up with demand. Finally, read how Alex at Trajectory has taken the tradition of OPS Inc and Ron Allen, and moved into the next generation, filling the gap, and continuing to bring us real Mk12 suppressors, as well as cans for the Gordon carbine and the M24.

This is an educational article that took over 100 hours to produce, and not a commercial plug. Nothing wrong with commercial plugs. :cool:

Last edited:
    Awesome Post John.

The way I understood it is Ron was the brains and manufacturing behind OPS INC. The women he partnered with, basically was the face of the contract (Women owned, 8A disadvantaged small business, ect....a way to actually win contracts with the federal gov). Once the federal money dried up she bounced and company went defunct. Allen resurrected the company under his name years later and has been making the product since then.

A few years ago Ron bought a FN SPR action, Mcmillian and a 6.5mm hawk hill blank from me. I wonder if he ever put together the gun I was planning on making. It would be cool to see it if he did.

I have wanted to do a 723 Gordon Clone rifle for years but something always comes up and I get sidetracked. Maybe 2025 is the year.

When I worked for the Navy I had access to their small arms collection. Alot of historical firearms including OSS/UDT/SEAL/ST6/ect weapons dating back to WW2. Most of the early suppressors Pre 80's were wipes or like the early KAC overbarrel cans, thousands of mesh washers stacked on top of each other to break up. The MK23 Trial pistol submissions were square B&T cans with very simple baffle design to basically turn sound into heat.

OPS inc really started the revolution for modern cans that not only suppress much more effectively, but have minimal POI shift and can be used on precision platforms. Really ahead of their time.

Last edited:
    Awesome Post John.

The way I understood it is Ron was the brains and manufacturing behind OPS INC. The women he partnered with, basically was the face of the contract (Women owned, 8A disadvantaged small business, ect....a way to actually win contracts with the federal gov). Once the federal money dried up she bounced and company went defunct. Allen resurrected the company under his name years later and has been making the product since then.

A few years ago Ron bought a FN SPR action, Mcmillian and a 6.5mm hawk hill blank from me. I wonder if he ever put together the gun I was planning on making.

I have wanted to do a 723 Gordon Clone rifle for years but something always comes up and I get sidetracked. Maybe 2025 is the year.
    Phil fits in there somewhere…

My Special Forces company had a number of "Crazy Phil's" OPS INC cans for our CAR-15s.

Once Mike Haugen retired from the Army and became the Remington Military Division Rep (and later VP), there's a reason M24A2 was fitted with OPS suppressors. They were simply the best available (capability v. weight and cost) for early GWOT. Cerberus would eventually buy AAC and bring an in-house brand suppressor for the Remington line-up.

Reactions: kthomas