• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mk13 Mod0 McMillan A2 stock

Zigjib

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
G'day gents;

I've spoken to McMillan in the past about the Mk13 Mod0 stocks and they have previously said that if there was enough interest they'd do a limited run of the A2 stocks for the Mk13.

I checked again and it seems like something that they would consider doing, but we have to let them know there's a want.

It might be worth emailing them to let them know you are keen and see if we can get some movement for people who want a Mk13 Mod0 in their collection.

Cheers
Carso
moo.png

I know myself and at least one other would be in for these A2 stocks if they were full spec using the original old style single-knob saddle hardware. I’d be in for more if they offered them in other finish options as well (forest camo and solid gray molded-in).

I talked to Lynn and the production manager last week they just said there isn’t enough interest and that it would take a large order to warrant making them so if you want one CALL THEM if we can blow up their phone with people wanting them they’ll make them

Reactions: Mk13ModW
Count me in.

They also refuse to work on any existing A2’s, but I did find an ex employee who will. If you have the parts I can connect you with him. This was previously a short action, no saddle, no spacer, etc.

View attachment 8116456
I am having a short action converted by Long Rifle inc they do great work and have done them before they refill the stocks with fiber and resin and recut them from scratch just got to come up with the L shaped recoil lug then it’s time to go

Unless someone wants to pony up cash for about 200 stocks, there won't be another run of A2 stocks. Ever.

I talked to McMillan a few weeks ago and they have absolutely no interest in making them ever again. They have a backlog of production stocks right now and even the USMC A4 stocks have about a 6 month lead time. The guy I talked to said that we'd have to order around 200 stocks to even get their attention, and then it still might not be something they want to produce.

Calling McMillan and bugging them about is just a waste of everyone's time. They either get a massive sale all at once, or nothing at all. They don't care how many people call in, they know how the collectors on the forums are trying to get them to make the stocks, and they know that it's only a small vocal few who will actually buy them. So, please don't waste their time if you only want to call them and talk about the A2 stocks, they aren't moving from their position.

200 stocks is a ton of them. It took me a few years to sell about 140 highly desirable original Navy SEAL used ones, so I highly doubt there's even a decent sized market for 200 newly produced non-surplus A2 stocks. The demand is limited to maybe a dozen or 2 dozen guys on the forums, that's about it. It would take some crazy wealthy dude on here to make McMillan an offer on a few hundred stocks and then not care if he ends up selling them all. Other than that, there's pretty much no way more will ever be produced.

TL/DR: Unless someone here is able to dangle ~$150,000+ in front of McMillan's face, it just isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
The scope rail isn't terribly complicated. I could do a fairly faithful repop after I get my new Robodrill up and running. I'd need to check on the Patent expiration depending on how 'Authentic' you want to be. Either way, it won't be cheap. You're looking at 35 minutes to an hour of machine time, plus tooling, plus computer time to get an accurate CAD model. Best Guess: $1K each.

Reactions: Konez
The scope rail isn't terribly complicated. I could do a fairly faithful repop after I get my new Robodrill up and running. I'd need to check on the Patent expiration depending on how 'Authentic' you want to be. Either way, it won't be cheap. You're looking at 35 minutes to an hour of machine time, plus tooling, plus computer time to get an accurate CAD model. Best Guess: $1K each.

I like your enthusiasm, but absolutely no one is going to pay $1,000 for a reproduction MIRS rail. Real ones still pop up regularly, I literally just sold a surplus MIRS rail on Gunbroker a few days ago for around $600, and I'm about to list a Rev B MIRS rail on GB when I have some time.

I don't want to discourage you from a cool project that you're interested in, I just don't want to see you do a ton of work and have it all be for nothing. Although, if you could make a cool variation of a MIRS rail that would look awesome on a custom rifle build, and be priced about $500 or less, then you might have some custom builders hit you up for something cool and unique.

Last edited:
I like your enthusiasm, but absolutely no one is going to pay $1,000 for a reproduction MIRS rail. Real ones still pop up regularly, I literally just sold a surplus MIRS rail on Gunbroker a few days ago for around $600, and I'm about to list a Rev B MIRS rail on GB when I have some time.

I don't want to discourage you from a cool project that you're interested in, I just don't want to see you do a ton of work and have it all be for nothing. Although, if you could make a cool variation of a MIRS rail that would look awesome on a custom rifle build, and be priced about $500 or less, then you might have some custom builders hit you up for something cool and unique.
Exactly. Otoh, once I have a serviceable CAD model, I can tweak it however the customer wants.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
Exactly. Otoh, once I have a serviceable CAD model, I can tweak it however the customer wants.

Working 1 on 1 with a customer to create a one-off rail using the MIRS rail design as a starting point would actually be pretty cool! There's companies that do something similar with designing and making custom AR15 handguards, so this is an interesting concept to bring to to the bolt gun niche.

Maybe the top sections of the rail will remain the same, but the side picatinny "wings" could be changed to a word or symbols. The metal wings might not have any picatinny sections left, they would just be a metal canvas waiting to be modified.

Social media savvy shooters could have the sides on their rail spell out their channel name or catch phrase, like a metal billboard hovering off the side for the rifle. Companies or sponsored shooters could put their name and/or logo on the sides. Military shooters could have their name, rank, and unit mixed in there. You could even do some cool abstract designs or even designs that would match the style of the custom rifle. Both of the MIRS rail "wings" could be modified, or you could keep one side picatinny rail and do some custom work on the other side.

@WhiteHorze, I think you've got a pretty interesting idea and I'd really like to see you make some sample pieces as a proof of concept. If it's awesome, then you might have a new side gig! It sounds like I might need a modified MIRS rail that says "Mk13" on one side and "Mod 0" on the other side, just to have something different on one of my builds!

Last edited:
Unless someone wants to pony up cash for about 200 stocks, there won't be another run of A2 stocks. Ever.

I talked to McMillan a few weeks ago and they have absolutely no interest in making them ever again. They have a backlog of production stocks right now and even the USMC A4 stocks have about a 6 month lead time. The guy I talked to said that we'd have to order around 200 stocks to even get their attention, and then it still might not be something they want to produce.

Calling McMillan and bugging them about is just a waste of everyone's time. They either get a massive sale all at once, or nothing at all. They don't care how many people call in, they know how the collectors on the forums are trying to get them to make the stocks, and they know that it's only a small vocal few who will actually buy them. So, please don't waste their time if you only want to call them and talk about the A2 stocks, they aren't moving from their position.

200 stocks is a ton of them. It took me a few years to sell about 140 highly desirable original Navy SEAL used ones, so I highly doubt there's even a decent sized market for 200 newly produced non-surplus A2 stocks. The demand is limited to maybe a dozen or 2 dozen guys on the forums, that's about it. It would take some crazy wealthy dude on here to make McMillan an offer on a few hundred stocks and then not care if he ends up selling them all. Other than that, there's pretty much no way more will ever be produced.

TL/DR: Unless someone here is able to dangle ~$150,000+ in front of McMillan's face, it just isn't going to happen.
Ah thats a shame

Thats not the conversation I had with them but this is a way more grounded response.

Thanks for enquiring mate.

Appreciate it

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
One thing I've come to learn about McMillan is that they always say that something is a possibility. The only thing that I've seen them say directly that they won't do is a reproduction of the original M40 smears, beyond, what they currently offer. The original smears are "Done sir done!" as we used to say.

No one is taking orders and McMillan isn't watching this thread. There's no point in these "I'll take x many stocks" posts, no one is keeping track of them. The only way McMillan would ever make these again is if someone with a ton of money makes them a huge offer (either as an individual or as the head of a group buy). More posts saying that you want one isn't going to get anything done.

If you guys are serious about these stocks, here's what you can do:

Call McMillan and ask how many stocks it will take to do a limited edition run. Get them to put this number and timeline in writing, and tell them that you're going to start collecting money. Make an actual agreement/contract with McMillan that both parties will adhere to; if you raise the money, they make the stocks (and timelines if needed).

Start a group buy over in the PX, lay out the terms for everything and number of stocks need to be sold. Have someone start collecting money and keeping track of everyone. Once you collect enough money for xxx number of stocks (or whatever it takes), get with McMillan and place the order. Pay McMillan, wait for the stocks to be made and then deal with shipping (either give a list of names/addresses to McMillan, or McMillan ships stocks in bulk to the person in charge of the group buy and he ships them to individuals).

How bad do you guys actually want these stocks? Put someone in charge of a group buy and start by calling McMillan on Monday when they open. There's absolutely no guarantee that McMillan will agree to anything, so you need to verify with them before doing a group buy and collecting any money. Even though McMillan typically collects payment when the stocks are done being made, this isn't a typical situation and it needs to be handled as such.

Right now, McMillan is probably going to throw out a number like 150 or 200 stocks. Just be aware that hitting this number of stocks sold is going to be very difficult. This thread is in an echo chamber, and it might look like there's a lot of demand for these stocks, but that's not reality. Besides some Mk13 cloners, there really isn't any demand for these McMillan A2 stocks, that's actuality. It will be an uphill battle to sell a few hundred of these A2 stocks or get that number in pre-sales.

So, everyone can stop with the "I'll take this or that" since it doesn't do anything to change the situation. What actually makes sense is for someone to stand up and take charge of a possible group buy, call McMillan on Monday and start a thread about it in the PX area. That's about your only chance, unless one of you wants to single-handedly spend your own money to buy xxx number of stocks and then sell them 1 at a time. I've been there/done that with used McMillan A2 stocks and it's not something I'd recommend doing.

If it was possible to produce a pretty close reproduction a little bit cheaper, that would be nice to have a least one new source of these rails out there. Like mentioned above they're not impossible to find right now but I've been having a hard time finding one.

We are just expressing interest who cares if we say we want 3 or 100. Just a bunch of shooters expressing interest in a stock you have no idea what McMillan will and won’t do.