• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Mk8 vs. mk5

So I started eyeing the mk8 3.5-25, but I haven't seen or heard of many people running them. Are they noticeably better than the mk5 scopes?

because they are bucks up!
i don't know this guy personally, but maybe he knows what he is talking about

I also think the Leupold Mark 5 has better image quality than the Mark 6 and, at a minimum, ties with the Mark 8. When the Mark 8 was first introduced, I spoke to one of the directors at Leupold and learned there was a single lens in the Mark 8 that cost Leupold $800 to purchase from the glass manufacturer. (Leupold makes everything in the Mark 5/6/8 scopes except the glass lenses. Those they design and have made by lens manufacturers.)

That single lens was expensive because it was made from a very uncommon type of glass that, at the time, only existed in small quantities. And was extremely difficult to produce. In the intervening 10 years, that glass type has become much more common and a lot less expensive to manufacture. That very same glass type is all through the Mark 5.

I'd say the big cost difference for no visible enhancement in image quality is tied to the reason they chose a 5x zoom vs 8x.

Considering they never made a higher mag Mark 6 I'd assume the glass quality is better on the 5 & 8.

I'd also assume there is some pricing tied to government contracts with the Mark 6 & 8.

Really the difference is erector zoom. Other than that they’re very similar. Personally I don’t think twice the price for the Mark 8 gets you anything. I’m a huge fan of the Mark 5’s, but for what the 8’s cost you can get into S&B which is on another level.

I run Leupold scopes exclusively (5,6 & 8's)including the original mk8's with the locking dials and illumination ...... the new mk8's without illumination share the same lock on 0 elevation but turn free once off zero as the mk5's but the glass is noticeably better than the mk5 series in my opinion.

I use the mk5 series on my hunting rifles but my long range field match rifles wear the new mk8's without illumination and the original 8's on my Tactical competition rifles.... the mk6's live on my gas guns.......so I've got them all and compared them to every other brand out there under various field conditions and IMO the new mk8's are the best value Leupold offers.

Reactions: Poorboyr
Mark 5 and Mark 6 use apparently the same glass, as for the MK8 imho it is noticeably better, except the early mk8's has those pinch and turn turrets that were a pain and supposedly they can't change them over, plus the msrp is stupid and theres no used market to speak off.

Really the difference is erector zoom. Other than that they’re very similar. Personally I don’t think twice the price for the Mark 8 gets you anything. I’m a huge fan of the Mark 5’s, but for what the 8’s cost you can get into S&B which is on another level.

I've only been behind a couple pmii's, but I'd have to say my eyes can't see a difference to the mark5 5-25. Maybe I got a great sample? Maybe my eyes suck?

For what it's worth the guy that has the s&b's has been purchasing Mark 5's since he tried mine.

I think s&b needs to step up their game to keep the pricing, or bring the pricing down to compete. There are a hell of a lot of $2500 scopes beating in the door on the pmii these days.

There’s definitely a difference in glass quality and resolution between Mark 5’s and S&B’s. Like I said, I love Mark 5’s, I think they’re absolutely the best scope out there for the money and the best sub $2500 scopes, but they aren’t a Schmidt.

Reactions: mjh30
I own an assortment of alpha glass a MK8 CQBSS, NF ATACR 7-35, S&B 3-27 PMII High Power, & a K624i and I've looked though just about everthing out there. I can tell you first hand the MK8 probably has the best glass out of any scope I own including the NF 7-35 and the S&B High Power. That MK8's glass comparable to anything out there. MK5 glass is awsome for the money but it is not in the same league as the MK8, or an S&B.

All that said the glass is not the only aspect of a scope but it seems to be the only thing people ever talk about.

Reactions: mjh30 and cwinner