• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Model 70 in 220 Swift

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
Hey gang... there is a rifle for sale locally I'm tempted to buy. Model 70, pre64, 220 swift, with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40, with dies, brass, 20 loaded rounds and a MESS of bullets...$850. Says it has 100 rounds through. I know these are hard on barrels, and I'm not totally sure what I would use it for....but 4000fps is calling to me. What do you think?

Re: Model 70 in 220 Swift

If it is as the seller claims and 850.00, thats what I call stealing it. Is it a heavy barrel and what shape is everything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is as the seller claims and 850.00, thats what I call stealing it. Is it a heavy barrel and what shape is everything? </div></div>

I'm going to go look at it this evening. He claims it's in tip-top shape. My only reservation in buying it is what will I DO with a .220 Swift?

A real Pre-64 Model 70 and Leupold 4.5X14 is worth that, easily. I would expect a standard barrel unless specifically advertised as a target model which would have a heavy barrel.

To answer your second question: You would shoot it of course.

Good luck

Jerry

There were only 900 of the heavy barrel 220 Swifts made. I had one and it had a Vari X III 6.5x20 scope on top of it. I sold it for twice the price your fellow is asking. The only thing I would caution is that the barrel life of a 220 Swift is very short. So make sure the barrel is not shot out. The collector value of the pre 64 Winchester kept me from shooting it a lot. I sold it to a Winchester pre 64 collector.

Swift tubes are inundated with Wives Tales,in regards to their life. I've multiple specimens,long in the tooth which do fine.

It being a Winchester and 14" are serious turnoffs,as the CRF hype has always been lost upon me.

Pass the 700 based 1-8" 22-250AI and hold the fluff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swift tubes are inundated with Wives Tales,in regards to their life. I've multiple specimens,long in the tooth which do fine.

It being a Winchester and 14" are serious turnoffs,as the CRF hype has always been lost upon me.

Pass the 700 based 1-8" 22-250AI and hold the fluff. </div></div>

I like model 70s. I can't really say that CRF is any better or worse than PF, but I do like that big claw extractor. Having one would have meant the difference between finishing the match versus going home for me at least once...stuck round in a Savage, plus a smack on the bolt with a rubber mallet meant a broken rim and a finished day.

The 1:14 is a bit of a turnoff though. If it was 1:7 or 1:8 it would be a lot better. The rifle comes with 20 loaded rounds if 52gr SMK, and over 750 assorted bullets including 69gr SMKs. Will those stabilize out of a 1:14? I have a box of them and it says 7-10 twist barrels only.

I think it is a good deal. If you are wanting it for hunting critters nothing compares to a swift. If you want it for the longer range the 8-twist would be better, you can change that later. Do not believe all the bad stuff you here about the swift, keep it clean and do not get it too hot and it will last a long time. The Swift is the king of varmint rounds.

Go buy the thing. Don't pass a deal like that when it falls at your feet. If not post us some pictures and i am sure their will be many to climb the hill to get it if it is in that shape.

I have had three swifts, mod 70 was the first one and had 1800 rounds through it and it is still going strong. My second was a savage, and could not get rid of it fast enough. Current one is a 40x and it has a permanent home.

I think the selling price is more than fair. I have shopped pre-64s off and on for the last year, $850 for the combo you have described would have me going to the bank! For example, recently there was a 22Hornet that had the factory barrel rechambered to 222Rem, without any scope that went for over $1500.
As far as the chambering of 220 swift, I wish I had one every May when the p dogs start to fly;). Get it and then put up some pictures!!;)

Heck, I'd be interested in buying from you if you decide it's not for you.

Well I think y'all twisted my arm. Im going to check it out tomorrow evening.

I DON'T think its a pre-64. Its one of the newer models built the pre-64 way with CRF and blade ejection. Sorry for any confusion...just did some research on this today and learned a lit about 70s. Its a pre64 the same way my SPR is.

This is a pre-64 220 Swift. Long, heavy profile barrel, but not a true varmint weight/bull barrel. Got it from an estate a couple of years ago. It's pretty mint, but missing front sight blade. Getting the right glass on it is on my 'things to do' list.

aawin702203.jpg

aawin702201.jpg

Virtually any pre-64 these days will bring $850! Gorgeous rifles.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Alright...so I had the rifle all wrong. Its a post-64 model 70 manufactured in 1998. No claw extractor, plunger type sprung ejector. 26" 1:14 stainless heavy varmint barrel. Has about 100 rounds through, shows like brand new. Owner claimed he cleaned every 3 shots and never allowed it to get hot. It has a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 mounted on Leupold brand, leupold-style 2 piece mounts. It came with the non-swivel harris bipod...not the super short one, but the good one for prone use. The rifle came with 65 pcs of WW brass, 35 loaded, with load details for all,and test targets for all. One load, 52gr SMK over 39.5gr 4064 groups better than 3/8" at 200 yards. It also came with RCBS FLS die, Seater and shell holder as well as 500 52gr SMK, 100 40gr blitzkings, 200 55gr Vmaxs, 100 40gr vmaxs, 95 69gr SMKs (don't stabilize).

I was out the door for $800.

Seems like I did ok...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but I do like that big claw extractor. Having one would have meant the difference between finishing the match versus going home for me at least once...</div></div>

word to your mommy.

Well, took it out today, and fired off a 6 round group at 100 yards while taking a break and letting my FN cool a little. This is the best shooting rifle I've ever shot. Could barely tell that more than one bullet went through the paper. Gotta be better than 1/8 MOA. Ammo was given to me by previous owner.... IMR4064, 39.5gr, 52gr SMK, 2.677 OAL. Seriously. The hole was .25" in diameter. Couldn't believe it - especially with the 4 or 5 pound trigger!