• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mods on a reminton 770?

Re: Mods on a reminton 770?

Seriously though. Remington really dropped the ball with the 770. Plastic receiver, bolt stop breaks after several rounds.

A buddy had one and I replaced the bolt stop for him after less than s box of hunting ammo. It's now buried in his closet somewhere, never again to see the light of day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "sell that cheap fucker before you waste any more money" mod is a good one.

41 </div></div>

Yep, my friend has one in .30-06 and the bolt just came apart on him. My gunsmith (who is a good friend of mine) told him not to even bother with it and buy a better gun.

Hate to rain on your parade, but seriously, the 770 is about the last thing you want to put any money into. You need to do some convincing to your wife to get something else. Anything else. It will not hold up in the long run. I've seen more broken than I have seen in one piece. A Stevens/Savage cheapy has way more potential. The 770 has several severe design flaws.

Pretty close in recoil. Not much fun to shoot in my opinion even braked. I have a few more years on you, and I'm slowly moving away from the big recoilers. I figure I can get out past 1000 yards with a 20" barreled 308 so I don't need the punishment and flinching anymore. I kept my 375H&H for bears and mid range deer hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a few more years on you, and I'm slowly moving away from the big recoilers. I figure I can get out past 1000 yards with a 20" barreled 308 so I don't need the punishment and flinching anymore. </div></div>
+1 That is my exact way of thinking!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daniel Logue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok then ill see what i can do about getting the 308 varmint... </div></div> Might as well get a new stock in the mail with it....Just sayin.....

Take your time, read a lot and choose wisely. Buy once even if it means going without longer. Watch the for sale section, you will find good deals there. Don't be afraid to ask questions but use the search function and google before asking. Lots of the people here are more knowlegeable than me but hate to answer questions that have been asked hundreds of times before. I'm new enough here to not be mean yet so feel free to pm me if you have a stupid question.

I made the mistake of getting the 770 a few years back. Wanted a basic deer rifle that I didn't care too much about and tried to go cheap. What a mistake. That thing was a real POS and even worse than the 710. I traded it in for a used rem 700 in .270 luckily I got the guy at gander mountain to give me like 80% of its original value and I had gotton it some where elese on a huge clearence sale so I didn't loose much. Get rid of it. If you have to fib a little exagerate the design flaws into safety issues to the wife and dump it now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daniel Logue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the stock will have to come later on... im a e-3 in the army with a wife and kid and another on the way.... im lucky to get to spend what im going to spend on the rifle and scope alone lol </div></div>Might want to look at starting out with the sps tactical then, it has a lot better stock than the varmint..

You don't need a 26" barrel. A shorter barrel is not the limiting factor with the 308. If you don't believe me then come watch some of use shoot on the weekends with 20" 308's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "sell that cheap fucker before you waste any more money" mod is a good one.

41 </div></div>

This thread was done before it really got started. This guy nailed it on the head.