Night Vision Monocular housing choices

adamjma

Cold hands, lukewarm heart
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Canada
Did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic so apologies in advance if this has been hashed out before.

Looking to step into the night vision game with a monocular. Being located in Canada my options are VERY limited compared to the folks in the US. From the vendor I'm looking at there are three options for housing and I can't decide which I want, because I really don't understand the detailed differences:
  1. Plain jane PVS-14 housing
  2. MUM-14A (the A seems significant - they do not offer the MUM-14)
  3. Omega
The vanilla PVS-14 seems to me to be the best option as there is way more in the aftermarket and parts. Weight and size seem to be the obvious negatives.

The MUM-14A seems to me to be a lesser model of the MUM-14 with moulded mounting points instead of the metal ones on the original MUM. Lighter than the PVS, same mount as a Breach (I think) if I decided to go dual band. Mounts are less common. I think I would be more excited if they offered the OG MUM and not the A.

The Omega seems to be from AGM and I have no idea what it's all about. Can't find very much online about it and as best I can tell it is lighter, smaller and uses buttons. My concerns would be parts etc.

Hoping someone can help me understand the differences a bit better! Thanks!!

I would go with the plain jane PVS 14 housing with a metal PVS-14 Objective Lens Locking Ring in case you wanted to mount something around it like a PAS 29 COTI or quick detach to rifle mount etc.

If you wanted to go with the lighter button type, I would suggest looking at the NVD UL over the AGM because the NVD UL appears to be even lighter.

Thanks @WhereNow&How - that's kid of what I figured. Lighter is nicer, but ITAR will make finding that NVD UL housing a major PITA. Not super worried about weight as I would just run the single PVS on my melon because that shit is way too expensive up here for me to splurge on two tubes.