• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

More TRG questions

QuietShootr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2003
Experienced -42 owners, help a new guy out. Any break-in required or a good idea for this barrel (.300WM)?

I thought it would have sockets on the stock for QD sling swivels, but it has hook-eye type fasteners. Can these be removed and replaced with cups without too much trouble?

I figured out I need a #6 Harris adapter until I come off the $400 for the Sako bipod. I cleaned the bolt and bore (it was VERY coppered up, interestingly) and otherwise made it ready, I think. Did I miss anything?

I fired the first shots through my TRG 42 this weekend. After extensive reading on this site...(drumroll)...I did not do any break in procedure. Lowlight and some others seem to have strong feelings about how unnecessary it is.

Just shoot the darn thing! I don't think the first thing the military units who receive these rifles do is take to the range with a bunch of solvants patches and cleaning rod and sit there breaking it in for half a day...

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the 300wm and 338lap actions other than bolt face and magazine? Wondering if a 300wm could be rebarreled to a 338edge, or if there isn't enough length in the action and magazine well.

i wouldnt do any break in. i have a trg22 and just shot it like normal out of the box and it has been a great shooter, .25-.4 moa all day long. i have a trg42 in 300wm thats unshot but when i get around to shooting it, i dont plan on any special break in on that one either. these guns are great out of the box.

You should be able to take that sling swivel out without issue and replace it with the QD cups.

We're not big on barrel break-in ourselves. It's kind of a personal opinion type of thing it seems. If you unscrew those sling loops in the buttstock you'll find QD cups under them. You can definitely rebarrel it to the Edge, if you pull the 300WM barrel I'll give you some money for it if it's new (ish). There is plenty of length in the mag, it's very close to an AI CIP length mag for internal OAL. You might want to check how well the RUM case fits in there though as they don't work in the AI mags without mods to the mag. Enjoy!
Justin

I just unscrewed the sling loops, and the entire assembly came out. There aren't any QD cups under there that I can see.

We're not big on barrel break-in ourselves. It's kind of a personal opinion type of thing it seems. If you unscrew those sling loops in the buttstock you'll find QD cups under them. You can definitely rebarrel it to the Edge, if you pull the 300WM barrel I'll give you some money for it if it's new (ish). There is plenty of length in the mag, it's very close to an AI CIP length mag for internal OAL. You might want to check how well the RUM case fits in there though as they don't work in the AI mags without mods to the mag. Enjoy!
Justin

I just unscrewed the sling loops, and the entire assembly came out. There aren't any QD cups under there that I can see.

I thought the sling loops went into the flush cups. Did you pull the flush cup out with the loop? Does the loop spin inside the collar? Try to see if you can disassemble it more.

Yes, I took the assembly out of both sides. It looks like the loops would come out of the cups, but they don't. The cups are screwed together in the middle, and when you separate them, the loop spins freely in the cup but will not unscrew.

I thought the sling loops went into the flush cups. Did you pull the flush cup out with the loop? Does the loop spin inside the collar? Try to see if you can disassemble it more.

If you have a new production rifle, I wonder if they changed something? On the older TRG's, you just unscrewed the loop, but you had to install a screw to keep the two flush cups together in the stock, otherwise they would pull apart.

Barrel break-in, this is a subject you could argue for hours if not days about. I will tell you that I do a barrel break-in, which helps reduce copper fouling, or how much copper fouling you get in the future. But it's your barrel, and you are the ultimate one who must decide to break-in or not break-in. I do my break-in while I'm at home, and while zeroing the scope, adjusting trigger, etc. , so it's not a big deal for me as it would be for those who would have to do a break-in at a public range.