• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Most accurate mk12 barrel?

Remington92

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2022
Montana
I’m starting down the road of a mk12 build on a centurion receiver set and trying to decide on barrel. 6mo ago I’d have done cle but they’re off the table now so trying to find a replacement option. Out of what’s semi readily available what has the best track record for accuracy? Looking at centurion, pri, hcs, craddock rtr. Originally I had thought woa but doing a bunch of reading it sounds like they’re semi hit or miss ir decent at best. What do yall recommend for best mk12 barrel?

I’m starting down the road of a mk12 build on a centurion receiver set and trying to decide on barrel. 6mo ago I’d have done cle but they’re off the table now so trying to find a replacement option. Out of what’s semi readily available what has the best track record for accuracy? Looking at centurion, pri, hcs, craddock rtr. Originally I had thought woa but doing a bunch of reading it sounds like they’re semi hit or miss ir decent at best. What do yall recommend for best mk12 barrel?
PRI sells the correct Douglas MK12 barrels for mod 0, 1 and H. They are all hammers. Craddock and White Oak are also hammers. Is high caliber sales still in business?

What sort of reading (who, what, where) have you been doing that's indicating barrels from those named above are "semi hit and miss, decent at best". Sounds more like a description applicable to Faxon, Bear Creek or other like-kind outfits...

How accurate they are is up to you...

PRI sells the correct Douglas MK12 barrels for mod 0, 1 and H. They are all hammers. Craddock and White Oak are also hammers. Is high caliber sales still in business?

What sort of reading (who, what, where) have you been doing that's indicating barrels from those named above are "semi hit and miss, decent at best". Sounds more like a description applicable to Faxon, Bear Creek or other like-kind outfits...

How accurate they are is up to you...
Agreed there are folks that search for any bad and you get trolls that will never prove the problems or post the same issue on multiple forums under different usernames. Did not know that PRI sold the Correct Douglas, That becomes the easy button!

Reactions: nn8734
Searching through here, arfcom, and other forums sounds like 1.5” is fairly common with woa . I’m looking for better than that. With the cost of the rest of the build I don’t want to cheap out on barrel with a just as good.

I’ll look into pri some more though.

I've owned 2 woa and my brother in law has one. 2 of the 3 were 1moa and the current one I have is 1.5moa with 98% of the factory and hand loads I can come up with. It's by far the hardest barrel I've ever had to work something up and even then the best I get is 1-1.25moa.

The Douglas I had was a damn hammer.

Agreed there are folks that search for any bad and you get trolls that will never prove the problems or post the same issue on multiple forums under different usernames. Did not know that PRI sold the Correct Douglas, That becomes the easy button!
I'd love for him to put a couple links to these discussions, if nothing else, for the laughs.

I bought my Mk12 Mod 1's Douglas SPR bbl through another Hide member about 7 years ago and my Mod H's barrel via PRI...A friend also bought his Mod 0's Douglas through PRI (technically, he bought their entire assembled upper some years back)...All are consistent sub-MOA with Mk262 M1, BH77 and my hand loads (a clone of Mk262M1).

Searching through here, arfcom, and other forums sounds like 1.5” is fairly common with woa . I’m looking for better than that. With the cost of the rest of the build I don’t want to cheap out on barrel with a just as good.

I’ll look into pri some more though.
Do not discount the PRI barrels. I have a PRI built Mod H upper. It's easily sub moa. My wife who has never shot a long gun, shot a 3 shot group that could have been covered with a dime. I know 3 shot group.

Given that during the CLE debacle it was stated they were cutting off retail orders to focus on contracts with PRI being mentioned it would probably be safe to assume that those barrels are indeed CLE’s. I can’t imagine that they’d contract out some of their barrels and not all.

Well late night googling got the better of me. With Brownells 15% off plus active junky 2% off it was cheaper to buy a pre built pri upper than to buy the barrel and upper parts to do it myself.

After building lots of uppers that would be my choice. It's still ~1500$ but if you bought all the parts you would be close to that anyways.

That’s what I figured by the time I sourced everything and bought the barrel but wrenches it was as cheap to let them handle it. Guess I’ll save the centurion receiver for a mod 1 or recce build depending on how I like this. Also impulse back ordered an ocm5.

Given that during the CLE debacle it was stated they were cutting off retail orders to focus on contracts with PRI being mentioned it would probably be safe to assume that those barrels are indeed CLE’s. I can’t imagine that they’d contract out some of their barrels and not all.
If they're doing the PRI barrels, I might have to pick one up, their prices are better that CLE's if I remember their pricing. Call me superstitious, but I'm inclined to believe that who chambers a barrel and their methods used makes a difference in performance, assuming a good blank. I'm less inclined to trust accuracy from a lot of the mass produced, CNC chamber job, sub $400 barrels out there that fill the AR barrel market.

I just built a mk12 mod 1 and now I am trying to talk myself out of a mk12 mod 0. I'm not sure if I really need both lol. Currently have 4 5.55mm ar15 rifles and not sure I need more of the same caliber.

The "Most Accurate" MK12 barrel is a Bartlein or Kreiger Turned by Paul Ross or Craddock turned to whatever MK12 Mod Contour you like.