• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Most adjustable scope????

quickkillaught6

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2010
indiana
Ok fellas heres the thing, Im for darn certain that most of you have scopes that rival most nuclear silos. OK I get it. I myself own a very expensive tool box to do my job aswell. I also get that sometimes in a nonlife an death situation there are suitable substitutions that dont cost 2k and am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. With that said. I have some questions. What is the most inexpensive scope that would have at least 60moa. adjustment? I've done countless searches and read for 4 months now. But have not concluded to anything solid, because the most expensive scope i own to date is a bushnell4200 To be honest i dont have 2k to drop on a nightforce. Granted that would be a lifetime investment but just not going too right now.
I am interested in shooting long range accuratley. I have several rifles and hunt (so im not) completly uncapable. I have just assembled a sav. model. 12 (i like them better than 700's) sorry. installed a 20 moa. base. and now in search of a scope to fullfill my needs. i understand ffp vs sfp, mil/mil vs moa moa what i am curious about is everyone starts somewhere the best shooters in the world (some of you guys) didnt start out with a 4k dollar scope i hope, maybe you got lucky.
My model 12 is in 223, yes i know its not a 308 i understand but i have seen some of you'ins groups at respectable 500 yard line and its enough to kill a prairie dog. Last year was my first year to go pd shootin its darn sure not huntin. Anyway i am in need of a scope for this particular rifle that i can dial down to 100 yards and out to at least 500 maybe further. I have looked at Millet,I own a bushnell 4200 elite which is on the gun now for load testing the glass is nice and clicks are solid, but i missed the sale and as stated time and time again its elev. challanged. Its zerod @ 100 yards on the top mil-dot. which doesnt bother me for load testing. I am looking for advice on an optic that has the range of adjustment i need, It is going to be used for hunting coyote, fox, and shooting off the bench.
I appoligize for the lengthy post, but really need help here before i buy something i cant use. I want to stay with a variable power scope the bigger the better. Im using a 6x24x40 on it now but wouldnt be totally against something to 14 15ish A fixed power is just not for me. Maybe you guys have had luck with another brand of scope that will work for what i am intending on doing. Thank you in advance for the help.

Re: Most adjustable scope????

The New sightron SIII 6-24 are mil/mil or MOA/MOA and provide 100 MOA of adjustment. The glass is really nice and they track well. They should be out here very soon. Scott at Liberty optics can help you out. The Sightron has more Magnification than most scopes with tons of adjustment range. The new ones have target/tactical style turrets that are really nice.

SIIISS624X50LRMOA_Profile.jpg

Nice reticle too
MOA2.jpg

I just picked up a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 in a 30mm Tube that has a good amount of adjustment per their website. Cost me 219 local at a sports warehouse. Look out last night with it about 45mins after sun down and still had pretty decent vision. If you're not looking for something outrageously expensive then the Crossfire line is worth a look, and they have an amazing warranty.

Not a big dollar scope but reviews on it have been good from nearly everyone. The Wotac 4-14x50 has 80moa of travel. I put one on my long range pistol and the short time I had last fall before bad weather hit it showed a lot of promise. Excellent reliability for shooting varying distances from 230 to 1000 yards and coming back again and being right on.

Priced around $300.00 and seems like more scope than that for the money.

Topstrap

60MOA is nowhere near the most adjustable scope. A SS10X42 or MK4 16X have 140-160MOA of adjustment. The SS's usually run right at 150MOA and are only $300, great scope for the price but it doesn't have matching knobs and reticle.

That sightron looks promising, love the reticle. I have heard mixed emotions on the crossfire scopes about loosening up or breaking down from inside out. I think i need to get ahold of this scott person you all speak highly of and pick his brain on that new sightron. SHOOTER21.. i have seen (not heard) much on the new line of pst's other than they seem to be ghosts. midway is sold out of all of the ffps. Is there another company that has them instock I dont mind spending good hard earned money for a good product at all. they are averaging around 800 899 from what i can tell?

They are still filling all the orders from a long time ago on the Vortex PSTs FFP, you can get some of the non FFP from some of the vendors right now. You can get a Leupold right now for a good price also, everyone bashes them but I like them and never had an issue with one.

There a plenty of good scopes out there for under $1000. I just don't know where you're getting your numbers. You don't have to spend $2000 to get a Nightforce. You can get a new one in the $1600 range or a used one in the $1000 to $1500 range.

If you actually got on the phone and called some of the dealers mentioned here, I think you'd be really surprised at the deals you could make on a Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To shoot a 223 at 500 yards you only need 10-12 MOA of "up." ANY scope should get you to 500 yards. </div></div>

That is what I was thinking!!!

um let me clarify i installed a 20moa. base on the gun. I have a 4200 bushnell on it now. The bushnell has not got enough adjustment to get to a 100yd zero. i am zeroed@100 with the very top mil dot on 12x i have plenty of up i need it to come back down to achieve a 500yard zero im pretty much there. i want to be able to zero the gun to use at 100 yards aswell, Imo 1600 miswell be 2k still a boat load of money. i understand it only takes 10 to 12 moa up to get there i need to comp for the rail now to zero because my scope hasnt got enough adj.

Er, how many mil dots does your scope have away from the center? Is it the one that goes out four dots (at 12x, 8 mils)?

You are using a 20 MOA base, adjusting the scope 30 MOA down from center, and holding ~30 MOA down from that to get a zero at 100 yards? Something is WAAAAY out of alignment.

Is it possible you've got the base backwards or something? If there was a reasonable misalignment, you had the base backwards, giving 20 MOA of "down" instead of "up", had the scope adjusted all the way "up" and were holding "down" it might give you the results you describe? It should be lower at the muzzle end than at the butt end, pointing the scope down.

I had the same problem on my rem 700 with a bushel elite 4200 6x24x50 my base wouldn't let me zero at 100 I have a 30 moa base on there now I just ordered my 20 moa base so I can zero at 100 sounds to me like you might need to change bases and not your scope.

It is totally reasonable that you couldn't zero a 65 MOA elevation scope on a 30 MOA base.

It is not reasonable that the OP can't get within 30 MOA of a 100 yard zero with a 65 MOA elevation adjustment scope on a 20 MOA base. Something somewhere is not right.

Ok fellas great answers to all and thank you for the advice. the 6x24x40 i speak of is the older one with the paralax on the front. from what i gather the scope has like 21moa of elevation. total with that said I could install a standand base on the rifle and achieve a 100 yard zero with ease. the base in question is properly installed. I also understand that my scope and base combo is improperly matched. Maybe I have missed something somewhere and appoligize for my Nonunderstanding here. The scope has 4 mils up down l and r of the cross hair. i have bottomed out the elevation (safely) and got it zeroed at 100 with the 4 dot on the vert. axis. i can adjust plenty and go up from there just cant go down. I called This Scott person you all speak highly of and asked him about a scope that would fit the bill to have more travel. because even the newer bushnells in the 4200 series dont have near the travel they should. I understand i need a scope with more elevation i just need to know what BUDGET scopes you guys have really put through the paces and had good luck with as i have only had a few nice scopes. Scott lead me in the right direction was curtious and i think i have decided to go with a viper pst a lil more money but it was between that and the new sightron. I know its justa 223 but im going to build a 30-06 soon and set it up for long range shooting. So to get the trigger time i need. the 223 will do just fine. thank you guys for all the imput and advice.

Yikes, I wasn't aware of any 4200s with only 20 MOA of elevation. I guess that could do it.

I am sure you will be very pleased with the Vortex.