• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Most rigid handguard/upper

gayimagis37

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
United States
Looking for the most rigid upper/handguard setup for an ar15. Something that will allow the most potential accuracy out of the barrel. I have a DD quad rail but it doesn't clear an adjustable gas block under the rail and looking to run mid to intermediate for a 16" barrel.

I also have an slr handguard with a (no idea who made it) upper. This also runs into the same problem of fitting an adjustable gas block under the rail.

I have an lmt mws with a bartlein barrel that is completely predictable and stack rounds just like a bolt gun. I have never seen a gas gun shoot with this kind of consistency and I'm thinking the secret is in the monolithic upper.

What type of upper receiver/handguard combo can I do to make a rifle that shoots like my lmt?
essay writer

Last edited:
My 2 cents on stiff uppers, I think the most important thing is a quality barrel and how squarely it mates to the upper; that being said, if you can thermal fit a barrel, that will give you best result, this something JP, BCM, and a few others do now regularly. If you can't thermal fit the barrel, then next best thing would be to face the inlet of the upper before you mate the barrel with the barrel nut...
All that being said, I prefer the Geissele handguards simply because their barrel nut is... Substantial. And their machining tolerance is second to none.
PXL_20201030_023942140~2.jpg

LMT MRP will do for you what your LMT MWS does. You won’t be disappointed.
This ^^^ if you want monolithic.

Next would be the VLTOR VIS or VIS Fusion (haven’t seen these in a while)

Next would be the LaRue Stealth 2.0 or Ultimate Upper Kit

Next would be Hk416/MR556 with an Hk or Geissele handguard

If you don’t go LMT MRP and don’t want to mess with proprietary barrels, I would steer you to the LaRue UU upper and handguard. The handguard doesn’t touch the barrel at all, and lock-up to the upper receiver is very solid. The top rail looks continuous from the upper to the handguard, and it’s still relatively lightweight but very solid.

iu

Looking for the most rigid upper/handguard setup for an ar15. Something that will allow the most potential accuracy out of the barrel. I have a DD quad rail but it doesn't clear an adjustable gas block under the rail and looking to run mid to intermediate for a 16" barrel.

I also have an slr handguard with a (no idea who made it) upper. This also runs into the same problem of fitting an adjustable gas block under the rail.

I have an lmt mws with a bartlein barrel that is completely predictable and stack rounds just like a bolt gun. I have never seen a gas gun shoot with this kind of consistency and I'm thinking the secret is in the monolithic upper.

What type of upper receiver/handguard combo can I do to make a rifle that shoots like my lmt?

What gas block do you have and have you measured it?

I’m doing VLTOR MUR’s and URX4’s on at least 3 builds that will have magnified optics. I’ll update once I get a few Badger COM’s and two more pieces of glass. The URX4 would fit an adjustable gas block fairly easily.

Had LMT made an MRP upper that was long enough to cover a rifle length system gas block, I would have probably went that route and had my proof barrels modified to work in them.

This ^^^ if you want monolithic.

Next would be the VLTOR VIS or VIS Fusion (haven’t seen these in a while)

Next would be the LaRue Stealth 2.0 or Ultimate Upper Kit

Next would be Hk416/MR556 with an Hk or Geissele handguard

If you don’t go LMT MRP and don’t want to mess with proprietary barrels, I would steer you to the LaRue UU upper and handguard. The handguard doesn’t touch the barrel at all, and lock-up to the upper receiver is very solid. The top rail looks continuous from the upper to the handguard, and it’s still relatively lightweight but very solid.

iu
Larue needs to make a 15" their longest handguard is 13"

Well, I don't know who's AGB you're trying to fit under those rails, but SLR's (& plenty of other) AGB's will fir under those rails all day long...................I have several SLR rails with no issues at all & well as Geiselle rails, which are even smaller, again with no issue.

As for stiff rails, w/o getting into monolithics or those that attach to a dedicated upper receiver, like LaRue, the Geiselle, SLR & the WOA rails all have fairly long barrel nuts for secure attachment & the WOA rail is also about the thickest material thickness I've seen in a rail, if you correlate material thickness to stiffness.

MM

Well, I don't know who's AGB you're trying to fit under those rails, but SLR's (& plenty of other) AGB's will fir under those rails all day long...................I have several SLR rails with no issues at all & well as Geiselle rails, which are even smaller, again with no issue.

As for stiff rails, w/o getting into monolithics or those that attach to a dedicated upper receiver, like LaRue, the Geiselle, SLR & the WOA rails all have fairly long barrel nuts for secure attachment & the WOA rail is also about the thickest material thickness I've seen in a rail, if you correlate material thickness to stiffness.

MM

Homeboy had 4 years to get it figured out