Rifle Scopes Mounting Scope to DPMS LR-308 A3

OldWest

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
CA, USA
What is the best way to mount scope on DPMS LR-308 with A3 upper? I was thinking of using Burris 1/2" risers with Burris Medium tactical rings. I want to save a little on weight instead of going with the one piece like Burris PEPR or SWFA SSALT.

Re: Mounting Scope to DPMS LR-308 A3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldWest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best way to mount scope on DPMS LR-308 with A3 upper? I was thinking of using Burris 1/2" risers with Burris Medium tactical rings. <span style="color: #FF0000"> I want to save a little on weight instead of going with the one piece like Burris PEPR or SWFA SSALT. </div></div> </span>
By the time you've put all those parts on you'll be about the same weight...and it ain't very much.Either go with the Larue SPR mount($$)or use the Burris PEPR mount.Don't forgot most times on an AR style rifle you need to mount the scope farther forward than you usually can with just rings on the flattop.

This rail, made by Hahn...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=47310/pid=24997/sku/BUIS_Scout_Rail

is the best, lightest, quality setup I have seen, I have 3 of them.

No big bolts and stuff hanging off the side of the rifle, 6 nylon tipped set screws go down in the grooves of the pic rail on the upper. You can also slide the rail forward and back as needed to get everything the way you want it.

I would also take a look at the jp enterprise mount. I think it is the best 1 piece mount on the market as long as you don't need quick release. It has 5 or 6 bolts that sit flush to bolt the mount to the upper. The jp stuff always seems to get overlooked but if you ever go to a 3 gun match 70% of the ar's are from jp and for a good reason. They are very inovative and have changed the 3 gun game over the years.

Diameter of scope is 40 (Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10x). I like the LaRue, but QD not a priority and out of my price range . I know that AR15 style rifles need to be mounted farther forward, but is that also true for the AR10 style? Any pictures of DPMS LR-308 with scope mounted would be appreciated.

You have a 40mm tube? I think you ment 30mm!

Just buy the Armalite one piece mount, there less than 100 delivered, hieght will be perfect, you have no need for a LaRue on a LR308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldWest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diameter of scope rings is 40 (Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10x). I like the LaRue, but QD not a priority and out of my price range . I know that AR15 style rifles need to be mounted farther forward, but is that also true for the AR10 style? Any pictures of DPMS LR-308 with scope mounted would be appreciated. </div></div>

Here is the DPMS Picture thread from ARFCOM Hope this helps. I went with the Larue Mounts myself. They are awesome and have the best warranty in the business.

Here's my DPMS 308 SASS with the Larue mount...scope is the Bushnell Elite 4200 tactical....
DSC00487.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldWest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diameter of scope rings is 40 (Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10x). I like the LaRue, but QD not a priority and out of my price range . I know that AR15 style rifles need to be mounted farther forward, but is that also true for the AR10 style? Any pictures of DPMS LR-308 with scope mounted would be appreciated. </div></div>

Bushnell 3200 10XMD is a 1" tube folks.

If QD is not needed any riser rail mentioned and a decent set of ring (get 30mm with reducers for 1"-you will upgrade your scope is you stay with this, and your scope makes a great backup so its good to have the reducers on hand) will do you fine.