• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Movable scope mounts

Capona

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2020
I am looking to be able to move my best scope (56mm with 34mm tube) around to multiple platforms.
Mainly I want to be able to move it from M1a to M21 and M25.
Moving it to an AR, or Ruger precision would be a bonus.
Would Larue or Bobro be the best options to have flexibility to move a scope around?
Spurh Sp-4002 looks like a great mount but doesn’t look like QD.
What are good option for easy movement of scopes with repeatability?

Grab a set of Fix it sticks and a small pouch. Now every mount is a QD Mount ?

Seriously though, their tools are super compact and fairly inexpensive...plus you should have a set for your action and ring caps/tops anyways. Consistency is accuracy and by torquing your stuff to spec each time, you can’t get more consistent than that.

I keep my tools in a small zippered pouch with a small Velcro/magnetic patch on the front, should I have to secure some small screws.
7B1C13FA-43C5-4230-9850-70103BBBBC48.jpeg

I used to be a big proponent of QD mounts but lately I’ve come around to the fact that I’m not trying to win a race when swapping scopes and I’ll always have my field kit (sexy fanny pack) with my rifle.

I'd go Bobro over Larue any day of the week. Keep in mind that you will have to rezero each time. You will not be able to maintain the same zero between rifles.

So in reality, not big need for QD.

Regular spuhr Mount or arc rings.

QD rings are rarely the right answer for multiple rifles. Most of the time, tweaking is needed to make them clamp properly on different rails.

ARC and spuhr swap quick with a set of fix it sticks. Many times it’s quicker than a QD Mount if adjustments are needed.

QD mounts are ironically better for use on a single rifle where you need to remove the optic for transporting, cleaning, or an emergency situations.

Seriously though, their tools are super compact and fairly inexpensive...plus you should have a set for your action and ring caps/tops anyways. Consistency is accuracy and by torquing your stuff to spec each time, you can’t get more consistent than that.

I keep my tools in a small zippered pouch with a small Velcro/magnetic patch on the front, should I have to secure some small screws.
View attachment 7247969

I used to be a big proponent of QD mounts but lately I’ve come around to the fact that I’m not trying to win a race when swapping scopes and I’ll always have my field kit (sexy fanny pack) with my rifle.

Totally agree with ^^^^

To move a scope between multiple platforms requires as much consistency as possible. That is not what a QD will get you. I would suggest get a high quality non QD mount (spuhr) and torque it in the correct mounting location for each rifle every time. Might take a couple minutes longer but nothing worth worrying about. Range tools are a must for lots of reasons. Good Luck.

By the way I am doing this with two rifles currently with success. Will eventually invest in another scope

My Larue maintains zero on the same rifle. I would document the zero setting for each rifle. But the Larue does cut into the rail and I’d like to avoid that aspect if the bobro doesn’t do that to the rail.

I'd go Bobro over Larue any day of the week. Keep in mind that you will have to rezero each time. You will not be able to maintain the same zero between rifles.

So in reality, not big need for QD.

I al

View attachment 7247969

I already have a torque wrench for scope settings. What will the fix it sticks give me ? I’m not familiar with these tools.

I al

I already have a torque wrench for scope settings. What will the fix it sticks give me ? I’m not familiar with these tools.
get a spuhr

and nothing if you have a torque set. most people get the QD so they can just clamp and go. not very precise

the fix it sticks do fit very nicely in a pack and are very simple to use versus dragging a wrench around

Bobro QD mounts are unique and patented, and they seem to keep zero better than most if not all of the options.

I al

Oh then you’re already set man and don’t need a QD Mount. The benefit of the fix it sticks is that they are small and lightweight, so you can bring them anywhere.

@Dthomas3523 brought up a great point about different rail specs between platforms. If you’re swapping between rifles, you may run into spec differences which will require you to adjust the QD Mount system with tools. Once you have to do that, then the point of QD is lost.

As long as you go with a quality set of rings or 1-piece Mount, you’ll be fine swapping repeatably between your systems. Just make sure you note the zero shift between them in each of their data books. Another thing to consider is giving yourself like 1 Mil of adjustment under your zero stop (if applicable). This way you aren’t always having to undo your ZS when you swap between systems.

Side Note:
I used to run a LaRue QD on my system because I would swap that particular scope between two rifles. Never had an issue and return to zero was great. However part of me never liked the fact that it was based on “angle and feel” rather than a specific torque value. So now I only run Badger rings and 1-piece mounts. If you aren’t able to pack your torque tools with you wherever you take your rifle, give Fix It Sticks a look. You won’t be disappointed. ?

Good information here. I’m leaning towards a one piece Spurh now that I consider there maybe differences between mil spec rails I have.
Is there no end to wallet bleed in this hobby. I’ll bet the divorce rate is 20% higher.

Last edited:
I was wondering what 2020’s “mil or moa” thread topic was going to be. Could this be it?

On topic. QD = quick DETATCH. Unless you foresee a pressing need to quickly unass your scope, there is no need for a QD mount, and they are more trouble than they’re worth when moving between rifles. Pic rails are not all built the same (loose specifications) and you will be constantly fiddling with the mount to hit that goldie locks point of not too tight but not too loose. A mount with bolts and a torque driver are much more convenient for swapping scopes. But, if you do have a need to ditch your scope, like it fails and you just gotta go to your bius before the line goes cold, then QD is the ticket...

Reactions: M8541Reaper
You convinced me. Non QD is the way for me to go.
I was wondering what 2020’s “mil or moa” thread topic was going to be. Could this be it?

On topic. QD = quick DETATCH. Unless you foresee a pressing need to quickly unass your scope, there is no need for a QD mount, and they are more trouble than they’re worth when moving between rifles. Pic rails are not all built the same (loose specifications) and you will be constantly fiddling with the mount to hit that goldie locks point of not too tight but not too loose. A mount with bolts and a torque driver are much more convenient for swapping scopes. But, if you do have a need to ditch your scope, like it fails and you just gotta go to your bius before the line goes cold, then QD is the ticket...

^This

I'm actually a little surprised that the military doesn't run QD mounts on their DMR's like the MK-12, M110, etc that all have BUIS for this exact reason. Most seem to be running Leupold MK 4 rings.

I'm looking for basically the same thing, but my problem is I need it for different and somewhat incompatible platforms. The ar platform requires a different height than my bolt gun, and the ar platform height puts the scope way too high for my bolt gun usually.

A good one piece mount is much better for this application than rings, since scope mounts can be twisted slightly on different rifles and stress on a scope isn't a great idea, plus spacing can be significantly off. The one piece mount solves both problems.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Hey i just discovered Griffin Armament is making one piece mounts now. Not QD, but they look pretty beefy with similar architecture to that of a SPUHR. Looks like a bargain to me at $210.

Jon

That sperm mount is a rip-off of the SPUHR design. You get what you pay for. One place you don't want to cheap out is the mounting interface.

Not saying you have to spend 400 on a SPUHR. You can get demo models for about $350 basically brand-new or used models for $300 or less.

If that's still too rich for your blood buy a Badger or NF one piece mount in the $200-250 realm.

If you ain't got $250 for a mount then buy a set of Hawkins rings, NF or Badger used, probably can get a set of seekins under $200.

That sperm thing would be about last on my list. Anytime somebody claims to do everything somebody else is doing for half the price, an eyebrow should go up.

To answer the OPs question, QD has no place on a precision rifle. Even moving a scope between rifles, which sounds fantastic till you try it.

Just use a quality mount or set of rings and a torque wrench.

I sucked it up and bought the Spuhr. I was able to get a nice used one that looks new for $275.

I have a Spuhr SP-4001, and I've had it off and on the same gun a dozen times or more. I torque the screws to 45in/lbs with a Wheeler Fat Wrench, and I've never adjusted my zero.
I did apply a thin film of light machine oil to the rail after seeing Håkan's video showing the return to zero after an impact.

Reactions: b6graham
Watch the video. It’s pretty definitive.
Can you link us to this video? (I swear it better not be tiborosaurusdontknowwtfheistalkingaboutvideo)

I’d say 338 lapua was pretty definitive as well but maybe I’m doing something wrong?

It’s directly from Håkan Spuhr. I thought I mentioned that.

Last edited:
2015 manual makes no mention of oil being needed. Just looked up the 2019 manual and it states oil.

Couldn’t hurt i suppose but never had a problem in many years. I won’t lose sleep over my dozen mounts not being installed on oiled pic. ;)

Now I’m busting my balls looking for a video across 3 platforms and coming dryer than an un oiled pic rail.

• Haha
Reactions: hk dave
Take a look at Griffin Armament SPR mount. I’ve been impressed. Taken off, put back on, and check zero 4 different times. Held zero each time. Half the price as a spuhr, but not as easy to level scope.
F6371014-BD92-4FFD-BBA3-A0342A06065D.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Tokay444
He says you CAN use rosin on your scope, where as he instructs you to use oil on the rail.