Muzzle Brake vs Accuracy

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Does anyone know if a muzzle brake in any way negatively impacts accuracy? Do the deflected gases possibly buffet the bullet knocking it slightly off course, and if so, is it to a degree that is predictable and can be adjusted for? I ask because reduced recoil would no doubt help shooter performance, but could that improvement be nullified by the brake itself negatively affecting rifle accuracy performance.

While the above question applies to an AR-10 I am building to shoot as accurately as it can (paper target - 300 yards), the question applies to bolt rifles as well. In the case of the AR-10, I can use a 243 which has the least recoil (and would not need a brake), or all the way up to a 308 which has much longer barrel life and much heavier recoil. Having long barrel life (308) with minimal recoil (brake), and top accuracy looks appealing.

- Phil

Re: Muzzle Brake vs Accuracy

Like he above have said, probably not as long as it is properly insatlled.

I would agree too that the bullet is already WAY past the brake and on its way before the gases could affect it. Just seems logical to me and is my opinion so take it for what its worth.

I see rifles all the time that have muzzle brakes and they shoot 1/2 and 1/4 MOA. If it does affect it I doubt a person seeing that kind of accuracy already would be able to improve upon it anyway.

Does anyone know enough or has seen a test about a muzzle brake's effects on barrel harmonics?

I think that would be a more likely to (minutely) affect accuracy than the gasses themselves passing through a brake.

the two rifles I have the Hollands breaks on are more accurate than the rifles that dont have them. And the rifle that shoots the best has the top holes on the Holland break a couple degress off of straight up!! just enough i can tell it.

My friends .308 shot lights out with a Holland also.

i dont have any experiance with any of the other breaks.

also, there was a big write up on 6mmbr about the effects of muzzle breaks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which isle is the popcorn sold at the local wally world please? </div></div>
It's in the back. Near the soda, chips and other snacks...

It seems like a lot of top of the line guns from the top builders incorporate breaks into their designs... If installed correctly I don't think it impacts anything. I have a PRS Precision Rifle Comp on my Grendel and it keeps up with all the other rifles there, break or not. FWIW

My Roedale brake hasent changed a thing on accuracy. And +1 to all comments if installed correctly there should be no issues. I will say this that you POI will be a little different other than that should be gtg.

+1 more for proper install. i've had very good luck with vias, and elite iron breaks. I have yet to see a decrease in accuracy. As for harmonics if you consider barrel "whip" due to muzzle blast forces the brake should calm it down. Just a theory no science on that one. Any of the major manufacturers brakes would be recommended.

My .308 TRG has a factory brake, and the accuracy is awesome, I did notice that when I took it off it shot 1" high at 100 yards and accuracy remained the same. With the brake, it kicks less than a .223 so I chose to leave it on and just record in my shooting log, my findings so if I need to take it off, I can make my scope adjustment.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .308 TRG has a factory brake, and the accuracy is awesome, I did notice that when I took it off it shot 1" high at 100 yards and accuracy remained the same. With the brake, it kicks less than a .223 so I chose to leave it on and just record in my shooting log, my findings so if I need to take it off, I can make my scope adjustment.
SScott </div></div>

The same with my 308 TRG 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That, my friend, is a crapshoot... </div></div> the very definition of it sir!
grin.gif

I have breaks on all but my .223's, and even those are rarely shot without a suppressor. I have never noticed a difference in accuracy, it seems as though they are more accurate with the breaks installed. But I think a truer statement would be that they are more stable, as am I, which translates into better accuracy.