• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Muzzle Brakes. I was a Skeptic...

Ronin22

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2023
TX
I'm not all that and a bag of chips sniper/PRS shooter/lord of warfare, so it takes a little longer for me to get around to things, but anyway...I've been using the A419 Hellfire Match and even the regular version brakes on all my stuff. I had a unknown 3 port 90 degree chambered muzzle brake that called at me from the misc parts bin. So, I went shooting my 300WM 13.5lbs rig, and then I installed that "other" brake and shot. Boy howdy, was there a just noticeable difference in felt recoil! So much, I uninstalled that "other" brake and threw it in the trash bin. So, now I'm back to the Hellfire match and got my 308 shooting 300WM back!

I told that story so I could get to this point, the engineering of these brakes certainly makes a difference. Are there better brakes? Probably, but these work so well I'll focus my OCD efforts on other things.

Reactions: camocorvette
I liked my Hellfire 6.5 a lot; on 25x while shooting groups at 100, it killed the already minimal recoil on my 6.5CM so that I could still see my bullet holes after each shot. I ended up selling it, though, as I am a 100% suppressed guy.

Reactions: Ronin22
A funny story on muzzle brakes.
My younger brother was so impressed with the stupid accuracy of my 300wm that he had to have one.
He bought a Thompson center single shot with 28" barrel that I don't think weighed even 6 pounds.
Pretty sure he didn't even have 20 rounds through it before he sent it off to have a muzzle brake installed.
Mine is the the 14 pound range and no brake but definitely manageable but not good for long range sessions.

This guy is gona cum in his pants when he learns there are much better ( less recoil and way less blast to shooter) brakes. Maybe he will figure it out around 2035.
Gotta admit we all learn at different paces. I was much more dumb when I start and now I'm much more smarter.

You were dismount and die before you were never to dismount, until death...

main-qimg-76750915a00d43f57927fede2ef382e0.png

OP
I love the APA 3rd gen Fat bastard, I've got a couple and a little bastard. They tame recoil on anything they are on.

• Haha