• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Muzzle break for smaller diameter barrels

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Looking for muzzle break options for lighter profile barrels. I have a hunting rifle with “heavy sporter” contour. Similar to 3b contour. It’s .7ish…maybe .73 at the muzzle.

I don’t want something big and bulky that looks like a lollipop on the end of my barrel.

If you guys have pictures of what you guys are running for a lighter profile / hunting setup that would be awesome.

Thank you.

I use a lot of these from Harrell's Precision for skinny barrels.
    3/4" OD with 9/16"- 32 threads for .30 cal.

Can't beat 'em for $50, they're very effective. Needs to be reamed for bullet size and clocked.
    Also have them in radial if you're not shooting prone.

Reactions: LJT88
    VG6 GAMMA 300BLK

Relatively slim and short. Ignore the verbiage that's it's only meant for a 300 Blackout. It will work on any 5/8x24 barrel under 30 cal. Is it as effective as a bigger brake, well no. But it does reduce recoil and muzzle jump and is fine for use on a hunting rig.

I like the muzzle brakes and more brakes. Very nicely made, many sizes(ports, diameters, and threads) and he'll even turn them to specific diameters, even titanium versions. They have an angled port which creates a downward moment during firing which keeps the gun really flat.

I do a blended install with them, and they come out nice. Here’s the Lil beast (.875”) version on a proof.

IMG_6827.jpeg

Once they're torqued/loctite in place I turn the face off of them.
    IMG_6829.jpeg61965083778__5F8E0074-9657-46C0-90B7-F5B0F6B036DC.jpeg

They come out super clean.
    IMG_7377.jpeg

VG6 GAMMA 300BLK

Relatively slim and short. Ignore the verbiage that's it's only meant for a 300 Blackout. It will work on any 5/8x24 barrel under 30 cal. Is it as effective as a bigger brake, well no. But it does reduce recoil and muzzle jump and is fine for use on a hunting rig.
    Do you have a picture of this installed? What’s the outside diameter? Thank you

Wow that looks great. You do that work yourself?
    Yes

The brake you need is this one. Its .749. Comes in any bore size. I buy them undersized in the bore so I can bore them to suit the application and know theyre perfectly concentric. Theyre very straight to begin with though. As good as anything I've seen. I have no affiliation with them, just been using them for years.

IMG_3667.jpegIMG_3668.jpeg

You can turn them down but on sporter barrels I taper and blend them. These are .650 ish barrels.

IMG_5423.jpeg

68072334489__CB18F6A0-3CAF-424F-B8A6-4F264E2109FA.fullsizerender.jpeg
    IMG_5516.jpeg

Last edited:
    I do a lot of timed/blended Muzzle Brakes and More "Beast" brakes on all size barrels. I like them as well as the APA Gen 1 Little Bastards and Micro Bastards, although they don't recommend turning them down. When the diameter gets much below .7", I usually recommend a radial port design.

I can't remember what diameter these are, or exactly which Muzzle Brakes and More "Beast" model they were, but they turn out clean.

Reactions: oldrifleman