• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Muzzle device options for TBAC 338 Ultra?

StuartV

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2024
South Carolina
I asked this a couple of months ago and got zero responses. But, I probably muddied the waters before by also asking about another can in the same post. So, trying again only simpler this time.

I just got my first 4 cans, ever, so I'm a newb and my questions may make that obvious.

I have now received my new TBAC 338 Ultra BA Gen 2 from ATF jail. A 338BA muzzle brake came with it.

I intend to build or acquire an 8.6BO, so I guess I'll hold onto the 338BA to put on that.

I also have a 308 and a couple of 223s that I would like to be able to use the 338 can on (my other suppressors all being for pistol or 22LR). None of them have muzzle devices yet.

I'm trying to understand what the best approach is.

I *think* the most straightforward is to get:

30BA brake for my 308 (which is not threaded yet)
30BA brake in 1/2-28 (so, 223 aperture) for my 223s

With the 338BA that I already have, mounted to an 8.6BO, I could move the 338 can freely between them all, correct?

But here's the rub. Numerous people have already told me "you're going to want a dedicated 223 can..."

So, I could see myself getting, maybe, a TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 6.5/223 can at some point to use on my 223s.

If I understand things correctly, the Ultra 5 or 7 can would be a CB mount and could not be used on a BA muzzle device. (correct?)

So, another option seems to be:

30CB brake for my 308
223CB brakes for my 223s
CB2BA adapter to let me use the 338 can on those until such time as I get an Ultra 7 can.

My question about that is that the TBAC website describes the CB2BA adapter as "SEMI-PERMANENTLY CONVERTS A BA SERIES SUPPRESSOR TO ACCEPT THE CB SERIES OF MUZZLE DEVICES."

So, what does that "semi-permanently" mean? Am I going to be able to easily move my 338 can around between all 3 calibers if I try to use a CB2BA adapter for the 223 and 308?

Is there more to the use of the CB2BA adapter than just screwing it into the 338 can and tightening it with a wrench?

More to removing the CB2BA adapter than just putting a wrench on to take it out of the 338 can?

I feel like I'm probably over-thinking this and I should be fine to go with the CB muzzle brakes and a CB2BA adapter that I just put in/take out of the can as needed.

ALSO-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have no real investment in muzzle devices yet, I am completely open to a non-TBAC approach.

Is there some other brand of muzzle devices I should be looking at, with some kind of adapter to let me run BA and CB cans on it?

I keep reading about Ecco and Rearden. I looked them both up.

I see on the Ecco site where I can get an adapter to let me use a HUB can on a TBAC CB muzzle device. But, I don't see anything to let me use a TBAC BA or CB can on a non-TBAC brake.

More or less the same for the Rearden site. I don't see anything to help me with a BA can.

OR--------------------------------------------------------

Should I be considering sending my brand new can back to TBAC to get it changed to a HUB mount? I know they are offering HUB on the Ultra 5/7/9, but for some reason I have the idea that they don't even offer it for the 338 Ultra and/or they cannot change it to HUB after it's built with BA.

Thank you for any wisdom you can share on this.

338 Ultra has a proprietary adapter that doesn't interface with other TBAC cans, you can only use the 338 brake for the 338 Ultra. Also, HUB is not offered for the 338 Ultra, nor will they convert it for you.

To solve this issue, invest in the 338 sidewinder/hellfire and CB sidewinder adapters from Area419, a few sidewinder/hellfire mounts and you'll be good to go. I have 5 (6?) TBAC cans including the 338 you mentioned, this is how I use my TBACs across all my rifles.

Also, there is absolutely no reason to get a dedicated 223 can. You corner yourself into a hole that does not work well with future rifles. The Magnus, 338 Ultra, or older Dominus will work well. I see no reason to buy an Ultra 7/9. The ultra 5 has it's use on hunting rifles or low fire volume gas rifles.

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
THANK YOU ALL! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I saw a mention of Area 419 earlier and kinda forgot about it and forgot to go look it up.

So, to make sure I understand. I know they have packages or combos that come with multiple pieces/parts. I just want to make sure I understand the fundamentals.

Assume I have 3 rifles. 1 x 8.6BO, 1 x 308, and 1 x 223.

I would need to get:

3 x Hellfire Universal adapters - each one to match the barrel threads of the specific rifle it will go on. Those will mount "permanently" on their host rifles.

3 x muzzle brakes. These are optional, right? If I'm always and only going to shoot suppressed, I wouldn't ever need any muzzle brakes. Or, if I wanted, I could get 1 x 338 caliber Hellfire brake and mount that on any of my rifles, for shooting unsuppressed. Or, of course, I could get 3 brakes, one in each caliber, for the best recoil reduction in each caliber.

1 x Hellfire Suppressor mount (TBAC BA) This goes "permanently" into the 338 Ultra can, to let me mount it on the Hellfire Universal adapter.

If I get a TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 can later, then I just need a "Hellfire Suppressor mount (TBAC CB)" for that and it can now go on any of the rifles of appropriate caliber.

Correct?

THANK YOU ALL! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I saw a mention of Area 419 earlier and kinda forgot about it and forgot to go look it up.

So, to make sure I understand. I know they have packages or combos that come with multiple pieces/parts. I just want to make sure I understand the fundamentals.

Assume I have 3 rifles. 1 x 8.6BO, 1 x 308, and 1 x 223.

I would need to get:

3 x Hellfire Universal adapters - each one to match the barrel threads of the specific rifle it will go on. Those will mount "permanently" on their host rifles.

3 x muzzle brakes. These are optional, right? If I'm always and only going to shoot suppressed, I wouldn't ever need any muzzle brakes. Or, if I wanted, I could get 1 x 338 caliber Hellfire brake and mount that on any of my rifles, for shooting unsuppressed. Or, of course, I could get 3 brakes, one in each caliber, for the best recoil reduction in each caliber.

1 x Hellfire Suppressor mount (TBAC BA) This goes "permanently" into the 338 Ultra can, to let me mount it on the Hellfire Universal adapter.

If I get a TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 can later, then I just need a "Hellfire Suppressor mount (TBAC CB)" for that and it can now go on any of the rifles of appropriate caliber.

Correct?
You got it 👍🏾 👍🏾

Next question: Hellfire or Sidewinder?

I did some reading and it seems like Hellfire is probably the way I want to go.

I watched an Area419 video and it seems that I would not even be able to get a Sidewinder Universal adapter to fit 1/2-28 threads on a 223 barrel.

So, if I want to run my TBAC 338 can on 223, I would have to go with Hellfire.

What that leaves me wondering about is my SiCo Hybrid 46M can that I also got. I got it to use on my 458 SOCOM rifle and also my 45 pistols.

It would be kinda cool (maybe) to have a mount system that would let me use that on my 8.6BO or 308. It would be a shorter setup than mounting the 338 Ultra.

But, it seems that the Area419 options are Hellfire with a largest caliber of 338/8.6BO. OR, SideWinder, and, in practical terms, a smallest caliber of 6.5mm. And the SideWinder's largest caliber for a brake is 375. And not clear if they have a suppressor mount to fit a SiCo Hybrid 46M. They do list a SiCo Omega, so maybe that's the same, but I don't know.

In the end, Hellfire seems like the clear winner (and I should just stick with a SiCo ASR mount for my 458). I'm just putting this all out there in case I'm wrong about something and somebody wants to set me straight.

@Zak Smith

You quoted the part that tells me you are saying I should get 30BA brakes for my 308 and my 223.

Okay, but what about this?

I could see myself getting, maybe, a TBAC Ultra 5 or 7 6.5/223 can at some point to use on my 223s.

If I understand things correctly, the Ultra 5 or 7 can would be a CB mount and could not be used on a BA muzzle device. (correct?)

So, another option seems to be:

30CB brake for my 308
223CB brakes for my 223s
CB2BA adapter to let me use the 338 can on those until such time as I get an Ultra 7 can.

My question about that is that the TBAC website describes the CB2BA adapter as "SEMI-PERMANENTLY CONVERTS A BA SERIES SUPPRESSOR TO ACCEPT THE CB SERIES OF MUZZLE DEVICES."

So, what does that "semi-permanently" mean? Am I going to be able to easily move my 338 can around between all 3 calibers if I try to use a CB2BA adapter for the 223 and 308?

Is there more to the use of the CB2BA adapter than just screwing it into the 338 can and tightening it with a wrench?

More to removing the CB2BA adapter than just putting a wrench on to take it out of the 338 can?

If I put a 30BA 1/2-28 brake on my 223, and then I get an Ultra 5 or 7/6.5mm later, where is that going to leave me?

I think I will have to buy another brake and change it out (for each of my 223s), correct? And then I can no longer use the 338 Ultra on any of my 223s?

And what does "semi-permanently" mean in the CB2BA description?

Is using a CB2BA adapter a bad idea for moving a 338 Ultra around between 223, 308 and 338?

338 Ultra has a proprietary adapter that doesn't interface with other TBAC cans, you can only use the 338 brake for the 338 Ultra. Also, HUB is not offered for the 338 Ultra, nor will they convert it for you.

To solve this issue, invest in the 338 sidewinder/hellfire and CB sidewinder adapters from Area419, a few sidewinder/hellfire mounts and you'll be good to go. I have 5 (6?) TBAC cans including the 338 you mentioned, this is how I use my TBACs across all my rifles.

Also, there is absolutely no reason to get a dedicated 223 can. You corner yourself into a hole that does not work well with future rifles. The Magnus, 338 Ultra, or older Dominus will work well. I see no reason to buy an Ultra 7/9. The ultra 5 has it's use on hunting rifles or low fire volume gas rifles.

Thank you again for all this.

I'm just about squared away to put in an Area 419 order. They have Hellfire universal adapters to fit everything from my 22LR pistol on up to my 458 SOCOM. And they have suppressor mounts for the 338 Ultra and the Hybrid 46M. The only thing they don't have that I could see possibly wanting is they don't have a Hellfire brake for 458. So, I guess I'll just have to always shoot my 458 suppressed... :) (and I emailed Area 419 and they said they do plan to offer a Hellfire 458 brake in the future)

I am definitely NOT going to buy any more cans until I've had a chance to thoroughly enjoy the ones I just got.

I only mentioned a dedicated 223 can because several people (mostly on the NFA subreddit) have said that once I get started I will eventually want one. I'm just allowing that they MIGHT be right. Maybe. :)

In particular, I could see maybe wanting a 5 or 7 that is slimmer and lighter than the 338 Ultra, to mount on a 10.5" 223 AR pistol that I have. That pistol, with the 338 Ultra hanging off the front might feel a bit unwieldy. But, like I said, I'm definitely going to give it a thorough try-out before buying another can!

I cannot tell you how stoked I am that y'all turned me onto this system that will let me mix-and-match all my cans and rifles (as long as the caliber is not bigger than the bore, of course)!

That's not the sort of logic we use around these parts.

I have to resort to arbitrary rules for myself and superhuman self-discipline, so that I can continue to engage in my two favorite hobbies - eating, and sleeping indoors.

I have vowed not to buy any new cans until I have at least shot all 4 of the ones I just got. And, right now, I don't have any way to attach my 338 can to anything, so.... that's why I'm in such a hurry to sort this out! :) The sooner I get a mount for it, the sooner I can shoot it, and the sooner I can then allow myself to shop for what's next. lol! Fortunately, I have already gotten mounts or threaded barrels to work with the other 3 cans.

Reactions: carbonbased
And yes, I know that many feel like sleeping indoors is overrated. What can I say? I'm old. Not as spry as I used to be. Nowadays, eating, sleeping indoors, and good toilet paper are on my list of Must Haves. Unless it's just for a camping trip. Then I can sleep outdoors. Still require good toilet paper, though.

StuartV. I liked your original thoughts. That is how I utilize TB suppressors.

I’d recommend buying the CB2BA adapter along with both .223 & .30 cal CB Flash Hiders. Once you have those items in hand you’ll have the flexibility you are seeking.

The flash hiders don’t require timing and have wrench flats for tightening to your barrel or removal from your suppressor.

StuartV. I liked your original thoughts. That is how I utilize TB suppressors.

I’d recommend buying the CB2BA adapter along with both .223 & .30 cal CB Flash Hiders. Once you have those items in hand you’ll have the flexibility you are seeking.

The flash hiders don’t require timing and have wrench flats for tightening to your barrel or removal from your suppressor.

Thanks.

Do you feel like there is any advantage to doing it that way versus putting Hellfire adapters on all my barrels and Hellfire suppressor mounts in all my rifle cans?

I'm kinda liking the notion of being able to put my Hybrid 46M in short config on my 223 pistol. The only other option I have being to put the Ultra 338 on my 223 pistol. I guess I should say, I'm kinda liking the idea that I could use the Hellfire system to allow me to swap either can onto my 223 pistol, rather than locking myself into only one can or the other.

Once I actually get an 8.6BO, I might enjoy being able to change that back and forth between the 338 Ultra and the Hybrid 46M (short), too.

If the only benefit is possibly saving some bucks on the parts I have to buy, well, at this point the difference in cost doesn't really matter, to me.

It’s your call on whether to go Hellfire or TB. I am sure both systems work. I have a hellfire brake on one rifle so limited experience there.

Two flash hiders and the 338 adapter is an easy button - only reason I threw it out there.

Reactions: StuartV