• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My First AR Build

dfasano

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2010
Hello all, new member here. Looking for a little direction from some of you. I am a bolt action guy, but decided it was time for my first AR-15. I want this to be an accurate varmint rifle(with a manageable enough weight to drag it through the field), but I'll also be slinging plenty of lead down the range.

I picked up a DPMS stripped lower yesterday. I ordered a RRA lower parts kit with 2 stage national match trigger. I also picked up a RRA tactical car 6 position stock. Now i'm trying to decide on a upper.

I have narrowed it down to RRA Predator Pursuit or White Oak Armament Varmint upper(configurations I'm considering listed below). I called and talked to someone there today (not John) and he gave me a few options, but I really need someone to say "this is the direction you need to go based on what you want".

WOA Varmint Upper with 18" SPR barrel 1:7 twist
WOA Varmint Upper with 18" varmint barrel 1:7 twist
WOA Varmint Upper with 20" fluted varmint barrel 1:7 twist

I know the RRA is chambered in Wylde while the WOA is chambered in their varmint config(I would like to have the option of shooting 5.56 if I ever needed to, but its not a dealbreaker). I want to be shooting 55-70 gr bullets and that pretty much takes the 1-12 twist out of the picture, but I am concerned with the 1:7 being too fast for the 52-55gr bullets. Accuracy is my top priority with weight being a close second. I'd like to keep the rifle around 8 lbs (not including glass).

I apologize for rambling on, but how about some opinions from people more knowledgeable than myself (that would be everyone when it comes to AR's!)

Re: My First AR Build

The barrel is the heart and soul, take your time and research the various options available for this platform. If accuracy is priority (as it should be), then go with a heavy-profile stainless in either the Remington or Wylde chambers, with either an 8 or 9.

Re: My First AR Build

Go with the 20" WOA upper. They make match uppers for the best shooters in the country. The 20" has the most reliable gas system and is noticeably quieter than shorter barrel lengths.