Furyataurus

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
Helotes, TX
My first bolt gun:
002-14.jpg

Remington 700 5R .308
Vortex diamond back 3-9x40 till I get something better.
grin.gif

I still haven't broken her in yet. Been too busy.
frown.gif

Oh and this is my first post.
grin.gif

Re: My first bolt gun

Nice rifle, scope is WAAAYYYY too high.

You'll neve get a proper cheekweld. Buy a set of low rings. You'll still need a stock pack as the comb on the otherwise excellent stock is a bit low.

I have a big head and don't notice any difficulty when looking through the scope. Incidentally others have said the same thing about my other rifle and optic. We'll see when I finally have the time to shoot her this weekend hopefully.

013-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furyataurus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a big head and don't notice any difficulty when looking through the scope. Incidentally others have said the same thing about my other rifle and optic. We'll see when I finally have the time to shoot her this weekend hopefully.

013-2.jpg
</div></div>

You're not 7' tall by any chance are you?

You'll notice the cheek weld issue the first time you shoot it.

I also have a Steyr AUG (A3) and the rail is designed at AR height to perfectly accomodate 1.4-1.5" mounts like the SPR.

When you said you looked thru the M700 just fine, did you have the same planted/smooshed cheek weld as the assault rifle, or was it real low on your jawbone/chin?

Form follows function. If you hit the mark is primary. Where your body parts are relative to for rifle are secondary. Olympic champion J. Weissmueller swam with his head out of the water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furyataurus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a big head and don't notice any difficulty when looking through the scope. Incidentally others have said the same thing about my other rifle and optic. We'll see when I finally have the time to shoot her this weekend hopefully.

013-2.jpg
</div></div>

You're not 7' tall by any chance are you? </div></div>

Naw. 5' 8" lol.
frown.gif

004-18.jpg

Switched out LaRue mount for Weaver rings. Much better.

006-11.jpg

1st shot was so high I couldn't see where it hit so I asked someone for help to be my spotter.

2nd shot was finally able to determine shot was about 2 feet high. So elevation was turned down accordingly.

3rd shot finally hit paper

4th shot same

5th shot I moved just a bit.

All shots were made aiming at the center square. I messed up with the elevation settings and shot 6 I pulled off target , and 7 and 8 moved back UP.

9th shot, in the red, was pretty much on the money and I pulled the 10th shot just a bit.

Ammo used was Federal American Eagle 168gr OTM for M1A.