• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My first varmint bolt rifle.

ultra12

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
I was looking for a varmint gun to shoot at the range with my buddy who has a rem 700. I was originally lookin for a Howa but 1/12 twist deterred me from them. As a sako owner I decided to get my hunting rifle a little sister. Found a great deal on gunbroker for a couple of years old SS bull barrel 223 tikka. Came with Nikon monarch 3-9x scope. Price for everything was the same as if I bought the rifle new. And it's ready to shoot. I will be modifying little by little. I already ordere Harris swivel bipod and soon will order large bolt handle and bolt shroud. Next will be a new scope probably leupold ( I do like them) probably a vx-3L 6.5-20x56 w/ varmint reticle or a similar zeiss. And lastly I will be gettin a whiskey 3 chassis or a gunworx carbon fiber dipped varmint stock (just looks so sweet).

What did you guys do to your Tikkas? Post some pictures. Any recommendations for mods?

Re: My first varmint bolt rifle.

I have never ran a Tikka, but have had at least one Howa. I liked it. I have heard some complaints about the Tikka stock being plastic and maybe the mags(can't remember if they are plastic or not). BgBamBoo(sp?) is a member here and I think he runs Tikkas and likes them.

As of last week, a fellow here had a NICE Sako heavy in a .22 caliber for sale. Had an aftermarket stock and the original for about $1100. Do not hold me to the caliber or price as my memory may fail at any moment.

556420_10151035133253664_180870848_n.jpg

Apols for the crappy iPhone pic.

This is my Tikka. Specs are as below:
> Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 Winchester, Left-Handed. No trueing.
---> HSS Bolt Handle and Bolt Shroud added for better feel
---> Barrel is stock, however considering shortening it to 21"
> Trigger is stock, though lightened to 2.5lb
> Roedale RCS II chassis w/viperskins (will also accept AICS skins)
> EGW 20MOA Base
> Seekins Rings
> Bushnell FFP 6-24x50, 'tatical' model.

The T3 is a bit limited in customisation options compared to Remingtons and Savages. However there's very little it 'needs' short of replacing the flimsy stock. There's a few companies that inlet for the T3 action you might want to look at, including:
> Roedale (RCS II chassis, which will emulate the AI-type stocks)
> Whiskey-3 (Another chassis, emulates the TRG type stocks)
---> They also sell the HSS bolt handle/shroud into the US market.
> Manners ('Classic' styled fibreglass stocks)
> XLR Industries (Chassis, available for 223/308 only)

I just bought a T3 Varmint in 223 last weekend. I will never buy another Remington.

I'm looking at getting the Whiskey 3 chassis system when funds allow. Waiting on a EGW 20moa base and TPS Rings. I like the trigger so I probably won't do anything to that.