• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mythbusters Is Wrong Once Again (Important Info.)

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
Elma man electrocuted by urinating on power line
Posted on March 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM
MONTESANO, Wash. (AP) — An Elma man was killed by accidentally urinating on a downed power line after a one-car crash near Montesano.
Grays Harbor County sheriff's Deputy Dave Pimentel (PIM'-en-tel) said Monday that 50-year-old Roy Messenger was not seriously hurt after he collided with a power pole Friday night and called a relative to pull his car out of the ditch.
When family members arrived they found Messenger electrocuted. Pimentel says Messenger apparently urinated into a roadside ditch but didn't see the live wire.
Pimentel says there will be an autopsy but burn marks indicated the way the electricity traveled through the body.

http://www.krem.com/news/local/85839832.html

Re: Mythbusters Is Wrong Once Again (Important Info.)

i thought the mythbusters test was an electric fence? and a live train rail?

could be that the high-output of the powerline made the difference. dunno?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, thats not the way to go.
</div></div>

Between your post and your screen name... You for the win!!! LOL!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't screw with electricity, ever! Have seen some bad things come into the ER. Hig voltage can literally blow you up!

Article doesn't say where the electricity entered the body- not necessarily the penis. Maybe he peed and it got his leg wet and that touched the line? Electricity going up the old pecker would probably go back down the leg- unless he was holding it then it could travel across that chest cavity and do some bad damage.

Han

</div></div>

There is also "step potential", he may not even needed to make contact with the stream.
With the radiating voltage gradiants around the electrfied wire all he had to do is get enough of a difference for 100mA across the heart.

This gets people and animals regularlly.

Shankster, I don't really have "wirehands" LOL

High voltage line have alot more in them than the train tracks the Myth Busters were testing on. I'v heard of downed lines radiating leathal charges up to 50ft from the actual line because of poor grounding.

True, Edison had series of demonstrations of the merits of DC and the downfalls of AC.
He fried all sorts of animals, including an elephant with AC to show the more dangerous potential.

Edison DC
Tesla AC

Most train third rails carry 440V DC or thereabouts. This can be fatal, but can also be survived in some circumstances. I have personally survived being bit by 440V <span style="font-style: italic">AC</span>, which hits the body differently from DC; which I consider far more seriously hazardous. It was the only shock I've ever received that resulted in muscle pain afterward. My experience with AC shocks is that they tend to shake you loose from the source, while DC tends to lock muscles, including one's grip on the source.

Electric fences pack voltage, but don't generally pack enough amperage to be seriously dangerous, they are intended to deter, not slay, the livestock.

AC has evolved into the electric power distribution source of choice because of the ease with which its voltage can be stepped up and down for long distance transmission purposes via transformers.

Greg

The trains in India have overhead electrical lines. There's a video out there, of a passenger riding atop the car.

Then he reaches out, to steady himself. Need I say more?

wirehand - there'a good book out titled "Empires of Light" that deals with the devlopment of the electric industry in the US in the early 1900s. You might want to see if the local libary has it.

I worked for a utility for awhile and did some contact accident investigations. NOT pretty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Myth or not, I wouldn't piss on anything electrical. </div></div>

+1

A carpooler told me about his buddy taking a leak during a hunt one time, and about the time he started to say "that's an (electric fence)..." the guy let the strem go. Told me "he wasn't worth a shit the rest of the day"....

I've been zapped by our 110V fence charger twice, and it is not fun. 13 y.o. nephew had to learn for himself, it left a 10" red line across his chest (he was wearing a T-shirt)....

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Myth or not, I wouldn't piss on anything electrical.</div></div>

+1

Yes don't mess with juice. My dad work heavy construction and had his crane operater run the boom into a set of high lines. He was ok on the machine but paniced and when to jump off, and it got him. He was burnt up real bad melted the waist band of his underware into his skin. It bust a ditch in the ground about 10' long behind the crane and the flash was so hot it boiled diesel fuel in the tanker they had on site. Cuase the blow off vavle to pop off and they thought they all were going to get burnt up. They got the man stable and saved his life. Thanks to all higher up workers had to take EMS classes. This happen in Atlanta, GA when my dad work for Jasper Construction Company.

A stolen car chase from another jurisdiction came through our City. The stolen car crashed into a parked car and continued on.

The owner of the damaged parked car came out to check on his car,what he didn't realize is the collison knocked a 20 Kilovolt line down and his car was energized. The kid grabbed the door handle and was immediately electrocuted,his brother witnessing this tried to drag him away from the car...BAD IDEA-he too was immediately electrocuted.

The two were frozen there sizzling away until the power company opened a nearby circuit breaker-both bodies fell into the street.
SMOKING and dead.

Third rails are DC-piss on a high tension AC transmission line-hell of a way to go.

Amtrak/Conrail electric lines are inherited from the Pennsylvania RR, for whom I worked as an electric traction electrician in the 1960's just before I went in the Marines, i.e., I maintained the overhead wire. That is the catenary wire, and in the USA, carries 11 KVAC.

Greg

Anyone know if medical researchers have explored the effects of electricity on sperm i.e. temporary death of present sperm in the testes or permanent infertility capabilities?

Would be interesting if Vasectomies could become electric, especially if they are found to be temporary with a known safety zone for non-production of viable sperm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Myth or not, I wouldn't piss on anything electrical.</div></div> ditto

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if medical researchers have explored the effects of electricity on sperm i.e. temporary death of present sperm in the testes or permanent infertility capabilities?

Would be interesting if Vasectomies could become electric, especially if they are found to be temporary with a known safety zone for non-production of viable sperm.

</div></div>

Fray an extension cord, drop you drawers, bite on stick and report back your findings.
grin.gif
I double dog dare you.

Fray an extension cord, drop you drawers, bite on stick and report back your findings. grin I double dog dare you.

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah don't mess with the juice!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most train third rails carry 440V DC or thereabouts. This can be fatal, but can also be survived in some circumstances. I have personally survived being bit by 440V <span style="font-style: italic">AC</span>, which hits the body differently from DC; which I consider far more seriously hazardous. It was the only shock I've ever received that resulted in muscle pain afterward. My experience with AC shocks is that they tend to shake you loose from the source, while DC tends to lock muscles, including one's grip on the source.

Electric fences pack voltage, but don't generally pack enough amperage to be seriously dangerous, they are intended to deter, not slay, the livestock.

AC has evolved into the electric power distribution source of choice because of the ease with which its voltage can be stepped up and down for long distance transmission purposes via transformers.

Greg </div></div>

Yeah, but did everything taste like copper for the next two weeks? Thats when you know you were grounded good and realy got it. Not fun times.

I was going up an extention ladder on the side of a building and got to close to the neon lights wires(unprotected). Needless to say I didn't work the rest of that day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amtrak/Conrail electric lines are inherited from the Pennsylvania RR, for whom I worked as an electric traction electrician in the 1960's just before I went in the Marines, i.e., I maintained the overhead wire. That is the catenary wire, and in the USA, carries 11 KVAC.

Greg </div></div>

I should have known you were crazy. Working on 480 is one thing (I know, I did it for four years), but working on high voltage is nuts!

The transmission lines carried 66 KVAC.

I was 19 years old, with the immortality of youth. I was making a ton of money.

Then, one night in a hurricane, a transmission line came down on the Jersey Meadows. I was the master lineman's helper, ferrying parts and tools up and down the tower.

Some jackhole in the power control room in Penn Station, across the Hudson River, threw the wrong switch and incinerated my lineman while I was halfway back up the pole to bring him some nuts and bolts.

I came down and took a look around me with new eyes. I realized that the oldest guy on the gang was 26 years old, and that all the foremen were crippled. I finally understood why I was getting paid so well; I wouldn't be doing it for so long.

I resigned on the spot, and applied to IBM for inside work the next day. Within a week I was going to the IBM Ed Center in Lower New York, learning to fix electric typewriters, and with the distinction of being the first man hired for the job who didn't have a college degree.

Well, I got drafted soon after, never got the degree, and left IBM six month after returning from my enlistment in the Marines, and my 13 months in 'Nam. I was no longer the man they had hired, and they were no longer the company I had joined.

There are established procedures for working HV lines.

They are cut at the switches on either end of the problem section, and grounded directly to the rails every several hundred feet. The induction alone from energized wires running alongside above adjacent tracks is enough to generate a fatal current. Then, and only then, is it permitted to touch the actual catenary structure. Workers are forbidden to step on rails, under penalty of immediate dismissal. Third rails are not covered in railway yards.

The most fun job was 'saltsicle patrol'. We would enter the railway tunnels between NYC, NJ, and Long Island, carrying a long fiberglass pole with hook on the end, walking the full tunnel length on the catwalk above the tracks. We did this because water seepage would create tiny stalactites of salt reaching down from the tunnel ceiling. Left to themselves, they would eventually grow long enough to ground out the catenary, which was mounted less than a foot below the tunnel ceiling. Our job was to hook the saltsicles and break them off before they grew too long, every few months.

While you're doing this the power remains on, and the trains continue to run the tunnel. You are alone. Your only source of light is a headlamp. If you screw up and accidentally ground out the catenary to the roof, the ensuing flash will blind you for several minutes.

The catwalk is less than two feet wide. The only handrail is against the wall, and there is nothing to prevent your falling onto the tracks. You carry two flares with you, so that if you fall, you have something to ignite and throw as far as you can in both directions down the tunnel, to alert oncoming trains.

The trains hit the tunnel mouth accelerating through roughly 60MPH and emerge maxed out going about 110-120. This is taking place about 1-2ft alongside you as you crouch on the catwalk, clinging to the handrail. The only warning of an approaching train consists of the train horn as they hit the tunnel mouth, and the rapidly increasing rush of air as the train compresses it in front of the electric locomotive(s).

This experience lends a unique perspective to the plight of a bullet within a barrel. Dangerous as hell, but what a rush!

You learn a lot about thinking before you act. One mistake, and you're out of chances.

Greg

House framers will know about this. Taking a roll of romex wire and running an extenion from a power box to get power on said jobsite. Now after a week of dragging this temp. wire around and trucks running it over. It gets cut and nicked up all over the wire. My dad had a guy take a piss out a window frmed opening down onto the temp. wire. Said the mans balls were swelled up like grapefruits for the better of a week. Not good!

DON'T MISS WITH THE JUCIE!!!

Thanks Greg, I have to peel my chair seat out of my ass because I'm clenched so tight from reading your post. That's insane - kind of makes me glad to have an office job.

The first day on the job, they take you out to the Newark Bay (NJ) railway bridge. Its towers reach 495ft above the water.

You are required to step over the guard rail and stand on the outside, then sidestep all the way around the circumference of the tower, still on the outside. This is to establish that the probie has the requisite courage and respect for heights. They <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> allow (actually require) you to use a safety belt. Actually, this makes it harder, as it needs to be unclipped and reclipped to get past the stanchions, and there are <span style="font-style: italic">plenty</span> of stanchions... That was the day I learned that if I was ever gonna actually have two useable hands, and ever get anything done, I had to let go and trust the belt. Not the smallest of steps...

Ever wonder who changes the bulbs in those aircraft warning lights atop the high towers, etc?

Well..., wonder no more...

Like combat, only a young man will wander into these things willingly. Older men know better.

It's different life, and was done in a different time, before OSHA grew its teeth.

This week, I saw a helicopter lineman setting up to work a transmission line. Like it was an ordinary, but meticulous, job. My exploits were not equivalent to a single hair on that man's ass.

...and that's why I made my 'fortune' in computers.

Greg