National Forest Service - Fuck yeah.

Q

QuickNDirty

Yesterday was interesting.. Up at 8AM, out in the heat by 8:30, cutting, moving, checking shit til ~1PM.

Back to the cabin for lunch. Started to rain. Took a nap. Up at 5PM, back out on the property by 6:30PM or so, and FUCK, FIELD'S ON FIRE! NFS showed up with a big ass bulldozer in about 30 minutes, ran a line around about 5 acres and that seems to have done the trick.

Lightning was the apparent start of the fire. We have a feeder and a wooden stand at ground zero but neither managed to get burnt up. Damn lucky to have caught that when I did, that NFS showed up so quickly, that the dude running the dozer knew what he was doing, and had a pair of stones taking that dozer through a burning ravine, and that a bunch of brush got burnt up which otherwise would have been weed-ate, macheted, mowed, or run down.

Also have a badass new jeep trail =)

Totally fucked my plans for nabbing a hog that night, though.

20180819_101638.jpg

20180819_102906.jpg

20180819_102009.jpg

Those guys were busy here in TX yesterday.

http://www.ktre.com/story/14461388/17-new-wildfires-reported-saturday-several-in-east-texas

Wildfire warnings and advisories are still in place across Texas. Currently, there are 195 counties under burn bans. Saturday, Texas Forest Service responded to 17 new fires, according to the Texas Forest Service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the state forest service dozer operators twice at my property in Tn. Once due to s dumdassed neighbor burning brush when he shouldn't have and once due to an arsonist. I can attest those dozer drivers are FN NUTS it was difficult walking down some of the places they went.

Reactions: QuickNDirty
Wildest job I have had ,besides Uncle Sam, was as a dozer operator here in FL fighting fire. I cut my teeth on an old Cat D5 and a JD 650J series trying to run down fire burning in the southern rough and pines.

Forest deforestation service here in Montana would have let it burn. But they would have studied hell out of it. USFS doesn't put dozers or other heavy equipment on fires here. Gypo loggers do that. Best I ever ran on a fire was a D65 Komatsu with an 855 Cummins turning the tracks.
State Forest people do about a hundred times better at fighting fire in this state than the USFS.

Reactions: Bender
Way too big. The forest service runs D4 or D5 sized stuff down terrain that makes a 12/12 pitch roof seem flat.
I’ve done 12/12 or so before. Had to pull a loooong 10” water line down a tailings pile about 100yds to the bottom. Trick was to keep the blade full to the over flow rack at the top. .... and this was with the D-10.