• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Navy SEAL report

mewillis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2002
Florida
I just got back from an awesome air show at Macdill AFB Tampa. Home of the Centom/Soocom for a large part of the world. The USAF Thunderbirds were awsome. But the coolest display other than the warplanes was a SOCOM display with Rangers, SEALS, and USAF pararescues, USMC. The SEALS had a cool weapons display. The first thing that jumped out were the Nightforce scopes on ALL the rifles. Desert cammo, looked spray painted, nice job though, all the scopes wore sunshades. I was schmoozing and didn't get to see the which model scopes they were, but they were on a Rem. 700 telling from the bolt, probably an M24 in an AI stock!(suprise), a MacMillan .50 bolt action, and a Knights M110. The M24 and the M110 were supressed with Knights. Kind of suprised me they didn't have SB from the Marines contract as they had a Marine display with a Barrett .50 with an SB on it. Kind of nice to see the array of weapons and how they set them up differen't than you would expect, Very cool dudes indeed.

Re: Navy SEAL report

nope, halfway there I realized I forgot it, I was too damn rushed this morning and didn't grab it. I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached, would have been nice though.

yep Joe you called that right, never knew of those designations per se but that clears it up. I love learning about the tools the real operators use.

McDill is the only places I have seen stealth planes flying. Scared the crap out of me driving home across the Gandy bridge.

BigJoe, I googled the weapons you mentioned, good reading. I saw mention of the NF 8-32x56 on the 50, and 5.5-22 and 2.5-10 on smaller weapons. Do you have more info?

They be too smart to display current weapons systems.

Not intentionally you have been deceived.

What you saw was what they wanted you to see and photograph and splatter all over creation's internet. What you saw and could have photographed is not the equipment they use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What you saw was what they wanted you to see and photograph and splatter all over creation's internet. What you saw and could have photographed is not the equipment they use. </div></div>

+1 Sounds unlikely that they would show off current equipment. Still, nice gear and sounds like fun. I finally saw one of our bargain-priced V22 Ospreys flying around (W. of Ft. Carson) a few weeks ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys are retards, yes they do show current equipment at dog and pony shows. </div></div>

lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys are retards, yes they do show current equipment at dog and pony shows. </div></div>

lol edit could not say the exact same thing as previous poster. but Im still laughing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up mk11, mk12, mk20, mk13, and mk15 sniper rifles if you want scope specs let me know </div></div>
so they don't use any of the above weapons??

No those two posters have no idea what they are talking about

The ignorance on the Internet knows no bounds and then please send me more pm's telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up mk11, mk12, mk20, mk13, and mk15 sniper rifles if you want scope specs let me know </div></div>
so they don't use any of the above weapons?? </div></div> you can't read very well can you?

The "nightforce" comment reminds me of postings I have read from people who rely on scopes for a living. They seem to agree that toughness, reliability and repeatability are more important than having the best optical quality available. Nightforce seems to have a very good reputation for toughness and reliability.

Of course, if you can have both I'm sure everyone would take it, but it seems reliability trumps optical quality if you have to choose. If you ever read Marcus Luttrell's story about his survival it is unbelievable what his scope went through and retained zero (I believe it was a lowly Leupold).

I've yet to hear (though not to say it's not happened) of a Hensoldt taking a dump. By all accounts, they've gone through some testing and passed (hearsay though, I've no evidence or references to back it up).

Would be interested in anyone's input on that.

Military weapons are not the best on the market, never have been. It's usually right in the middle or the cheapest thing that does everything "they" want

+1 you should see some of the weapons the military provides us. Hell even the ammo for that matter. Most of you guys would cringe if you seen the weapons that are issued.

The spec ops guys do get some of the better stuff. And devgru gets the best stuff. Any new cool toy out, their hands have been on them.
KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What you saw was what they wanted you to see and photograph and splatter all over creation's internet. What you saw and could have photographed is not the equipment they use. </div></div>

I really don't think I was deceived.

It's not like someone's somehow going to be able to use the fact that they've been shot by someone they never knew was there with a Remington action in an AICS rather than a AI AW to their advantage...

I just asked The Easter Bunny [team leader of team 6 and personally killed Osama] and he told me... on a top secret pinky swear...they use Tasco's. Hint #1, move out of your parents basement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juslearnin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "nightforce" comment reminds me of postings I have read from people who rely on scopes for a living. They seem to agree that toughness, reliability and repeatability are more important than having the best optical quality available. </div></div>

I've been in manufacturing and design consulting for over 20 years, went to the Nightforce factory a few years ago and was blown away. Far and away the best environment for reliability and quality I've ever seen. Yes, some of their stuff is/was made in Japan but the Nightforce staff basically remanufactured everything if they felt the slightest need to do so. They had the NSWC Crane optics specs hung around and tested their scopes to much higher standards.

If I had the cash, that's what I'd buy. Awesome people, awesome factory.

I has been my understanding that they can pretty much have what they want when they want at any time. So if they are comfortable with a particular weapons load out they can stick with it or move to the latest and greatest thing. I have seen older weapons systems and I have seen newer systems. If I were say a EXPERT with one say A3 and I got the job done do you really think I would be forced to use a A5. And as far as them letting you see older weapons instead of what they are using in REAL MISSIONS is crap, why would that matter.Now if they had there next mission orders laying about that would be less than expected.

And when you said they would be to smart to let you photograph current load out equipment who are they being to smart for? Some guy walking around a AFB looking at a show, who do you think they have to hide there stuff from and how could it put the team at any risk by showing what rifle or side arm they currently use? Chances are if you see it again you are either on one side or the other and #1 you won't live to tell any one and 2 you will be so ululated that you were pulled from the shit hole you were in and you have your life that you won't care weather its a ray-gun or a BB gun and you will have a SEAL to thank for that. END OF RANT.

LMFAO!!!!! As a SWAT operator we had our current weapons displayed at a middle school career fair. To bad all those domestic terrorists and gang bangers saw what we were using, it really jeopardized our OPSEC. Maybe they would hide their latest greatest ICBM, but not a firearm.

popcorn.gif