Rifle Scopes Near Mfg Alphamount

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    Just got an Alphamount and base from Richard Near for my SPR. I have to say that hands down, this is the most solid, impressive mount I have ever handled. I don't know what the metal composition is, but the mount is as light as titanium. In fact, the entire mount feels lighter than the 2 medium badger rings I was previously using. Richard claims that the metal is <span style="text-decoration: line-through">almost 7x</span> (my hearing is shot) about 2x stronger than steel, and after handling it, I don't doubt him. The tolerance of the mount is so tight and fits my NXS so well that you would think it was from the Nightforce factory. The turret assembly base clears the mount by less than 1 mm, so it pretty much self levels the reticle when you mount it. I cannot wait to try it out at the range.

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Re: Near Mfg Alphamount

Near Manufacturing is good folk. I have experienced great customer service from him. The owner was great to talk to. Helpful, informative and good products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canuck4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">love min to
    as you say they are very light and superbly well made
    IMG_0544.jpg

</div></div>

Nice Steyr SSG 04, I have a Steyr SSG 08 myself that I purchased just recently
    smile.gif
    So far it shoots like a dream (haven't had a chance to stretch its legs yet sadly)
    smile.gif

I finished ordering my NEAR Alphamount about 2 days ago... cannot wait for it to arrive! I'm glad to hear you guys love them so much
    smile.gif

Thanks,
    - Koshy

You'll be very impressed with the Near Alpha Mount. There is nothing quite like them. I had two of the 34mm Alphas and I'm down to one which is SPF. I have to order another as the height of the one I have is not correct. Talking to Richard can be an education.

Richard knows more about mounts and machining than anyone I have ever talked to, and his work is in a class of its own. This is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I can literally pick my rifle up by the bell of the scope and swing it around; it feels as solid as if I picked it up by the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The turret assembly base clears the mount by less than 1 mm, so it pretty much self levels the reticle when you mount it.</div></div>Leveling the cross hair is more than having it level in the mount. Bases can also be canted. You want the reticle leveled when it's above the center line of the bore.

Something like this helps a lot, at least it does for me:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6097/Product/EXD_ENGINEERING_VERTICAL_RETICLE_INSTRUMENT

How much more expensive is this mount over a NightForce UniMount?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The turret assembly base clears the mount by less than 1 mm, so it pretty much self levels the reticle when you mount it.</div></div>Leveling the cross hair is more than having it level in the mount. Bases can also be canted. You want the reticle leveled when it's above the center line of the bore.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6097/Product/EXD_ENGINEERING_VERTICAL_RETICLE_INSTRUMENT

How much more expensive is this mount over a NightForce UniMount? </div></div>

Nice find!

NEAR Alphamount is $325 CND.

Thanks,
    - Koshy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The turret assembly base clears the mount by less than 1 mm, so it pretty much self levels the reticle when you mount it.</div></div>Leveling the cross hair is more than having it level in the mount. Bases can also be canted. You want the reticle leveled when it's above the center line of the bore.

How much more expensive is this mount over a NightForce UniMount?</div></div>

I have that same leveling tool. Sometimes it drives me nuts when the reticle looks perfectly square and the bubble is not centered. In the case with the alphamount, there is barely any room to cant the scope. I trust Richard's precision in that his base and mount are absolutely perpendicular to the ground. You never know though; maybe mine is a tad off and I haven't noticed it.

leveling my scope the usual way after there is only one way to make certain and this is what I do

No tool will do it perfectly as far as I am concerned. The only way to be sure is to shoot. Start by making a perfectly perpendicular line at 100 yards and shoot at the bottom of it. Now move your scope up 20 moa or so and shoot again. It should cut the same line. Finally shoot at the actual ranges close and far to confirm the results. This is the only reliable way to do it as far as I am aware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I trust Richard's precision in that his base and mount are absolutely perpendicular to the ground.</div></div>
    Your receiver plays a role in this too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plumb bob on a string you can see. 'Nuff said.</div></div>
    The plumb bob helps level the reticle, but it does nothing to make sure that it's level when it's directly above the bore center line.

I use both a plumb bob and the tool I posted above.

I understand, but for all intensive purposes, a 5 degree cant if it exists, is not going to destroy the accuracy of the rifle. I spoke to RIchard about this for a half hour, and he knows much much more about this topic than me or anyone I have ever spoken to. Repeatability is king, so it does't matter where the scope is in relation to the barrel; as long as you know where that bullet will drop at a distance. The barrel and sight on an F-15, an Abrams tank, and a scoped M1 Garand are all far from the barrel, and they work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is not going to destroy the accuracy of the rifle.</div></div> It doesn't destroy the accuracy, it messes with your ability to hit the target on the first shot! You don't always have exact dope for a shot, and need to rely on drop tables. You also have other variables to worry about like wind changes, you don't want to worry about my scope not tracking vertically because you canted the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as long as you know where that bullet will drop at a distance</div></div>Having a canted rifle doesn't just mess with the 'drop', it messes with the lateral 'drift'.

The error it induces is easy to calculate:

Y = Degree of Cant
    X = High Point of the Trajectory

Cosine [(90-Y)*X]

The further you get out, the further off you are.

If you want to read about it, it's well documented here:
    http://www.microlevel.biz/cant_errors.html

Run the numbers for .308 shots at 1000 yards, you can decide if the error it induces is negligible.

If you don't shoot longer ranges (800+), then many would say it's negligible. If you have the ability to easily level the rifle & reticle, do it, there's no need to introduce other variables that mess with the results.

From the link I posted:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">I went out to my local shooting range and zeroed the rifle at 400 yards when ScopLevel #1 read level. I shot several groups to be sure of the zero. Next, I rotated the rifle until ScopLevel #2 read level. This produced a cant of 5°. I shot several groups at 400 yards with the canted rifle, and measured the effects each time.

The results? Surprising, to say the least. When canted, the bullets struck about 4 inches to one side. I expected some horizontal movement. But I did not expect the vertical movement to be as large as it was — the vertical impact averaged 3.75 inches low!

The .260 Remington is a cute little cartridge, but it is certainly no barnburner. I took out one of my 7mm Remington Magnums. This is one of the guns I shoot religiously every week at long range. I usually go to the range, place a target, and then try to guess how the environmental conditions will affect my bullet (I use a laser rangefinder, so the range is not a problem). On that particular day when I shot without any canting, my bullets hit 2 inches to the left and 3.5 inches high at 700 yards. I was more than pleased. I then shot with the rifle canted 5°. The results were astounding.

The bullets hit 6 inches to the right of the uncanted shots, but 8 inches low. The next week I broke out my .220 Swift, which at 700 yards has a trajectory similar to the 7mm. Its bullets hit 7 inches low when canted 5°. Both groups were under ½ moa. Future shooting confirmed my initial results.</span></div></div>

So, we have actual data that shows (in the neighborhood of) 1 MOA error, with your theoretical 5 degree cant. Perhaps 5 degrees is too much, and 2.5 is more likely, that's still enough error that it'll cost you points in a match.

I won't be relying on how 'true' or 'square' I think my mount is. I'd rather take in to account all (or at least most) of the pieces of the puzzle. Leveling the reticle should be considered the low hanging fruit in setting up a rifle.

I understand the math and all, but all I was saying is that a known cant can be corrected for if it exists. I want my reticle to be absolutely in line with the barrel and perpendicular to the ground. I am pretty sure that my mount has it straight, and I was only saying that it could hypothetically be canted slightly. Keep in mind that reticles may not be straight in the scopes themselves, even in the high quality optics. The procedure to guarantee absolute alignment is way too tedious and is far from cost effective for any scope mfr. Richard can explain the whole thing in great detail.

me thinks the rear ring..........is a crowding the turret box....normally this may not amount to anything....but some of the salty may advise against it due to the possible internal tube restriction at extreme internal elevation settings.......OR just an old wives tale.

i know i would not care to tempt fate myself, but that's just me

So b-trip, you would slide the tube forward a bit if you were me? I honestly didn't know about the restriction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How much more expensive is this mount over a NightForce UniMount? </div></div>

The Near 2 ring alloy Alphamount and the Nightforce Unimount are almost the same price in Canada ($285 for Near, $290 for NF). I have had the Unimount for about a year on an AR. Recently bought the Near for a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 on a Remington XCR Compact Tactical with a Nightforce 20moa steel base.

I went Near this time since I could get a .825" ring height versus 1.125" for the NF. Even with the lower mount I needed some padding under an Eagle stock pack to get the cheek weld right. In my opinion the Near is the better made product but I would certainly have been happy with the Nightforce if they made a lower version. Even the lowest 2 piece NF rings are .885" high.

John,

That is one <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">helluva </span></span>nice looking rig. I’m really struck by the swirl pattern in that A-5; it may be the lighting conditions, but the colors in your A-5 match beautifully with the finish on your receiver and barrel. The S&B PM II in the Alpha Mount crown it perfectly.