Neck sizing bushings: supposed to “float”?

Swampcrawler65

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
My Whidden FL die with the neck bushings. I have a Redding .228 bushing in there, numbers down, and notice that there is some slop in it. The bushing is able to move around in there side to side. Am I supposed to run the decapping stem retainer (or whatever that top piece that screws down against the bushing) down tight, or just shy of tight to allow the bushing to float, or what?

I googled but couldn’t find anything specific. Thanks!

My Redding dies have the bushing float but NOT side to side. The bushings are a close-fit inside the die body. If there's side-to side slop then it seems like there could be a lot of run-out if your necks are not consistent thickness.

Did you Whiddon dies not come with any bushings? Why use the Redding ones?

My Redding dies have the bushing float but NOT side to side. The bushings are a close-fit inside the die body. If there's side-to side slop then it seems like there could be a lot of run-out if your necks are not consistent thickness.

Did you Whiddon dies not come with any bushings? Why use the Redding ones?

Whidden dies don’t ship with bushings and their website/literature says to use Redding/Wilson bushings. I’ll just shoot them an email to make sure everything is right.

Redding sizes are stamped.....this creates a surface that is not flat, and could cause the bushing to cant since the stamping is on one side. The bushing does its work on the upstroke, therefore the top of the bushing is more critical than the bottom. Remember the bushings are supposed to float.
Wilson etches the size numbers, eliminating any potential problem......and they're a tad less expensive, which adds up when you require a few dozen sizes.

Oh, I was unaware that Whidden SOP was to use Redding bushings.

I went and looked. My bushings are Ø.498" OD x .501" long with minimal slop side-to-side. That said I've been making my own bushings from O-1 steel, single pointing the ID, heat treat then polishing since I can get 1/2" O-1 drill rod for about $4.5 a foot. If I wear out a bushing out I can remanufacture another easily.

From the instructions page on Whidden's site... "Installing a bushing in your Bushing Sizer Die: Remove decapping assembly by unscrewing top plug on sizer and removing the entire assembly. Drop in the bushing (ensure you’re installing per instructions on the card supplied by manufacturer). Re-install the decapping assembly. NOTE: Do not over tighten top assembly plug. Allow the bushing to float as this floating action is key to prevent runout. Check the adjustment of decapping assembly to ensure decapping pin is protruding at proper length. Whidden Gunworks bushing dies will accept Whidden Gunworks, Redding and Wilson bushings."

The complete instructions...

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/click-adjustable-die-instructions/

Reactions: Swampcrawler65
The side to side movement of the bushings will help reduce runout. Almost All the whidden bushing sizing dies I have produce less runout than my Redding’s. I also switched from Redding titanium nitride bushings to whidden bushings and that has helped as well. Some of my Redding dies and bushings work fine. Some do not...whiddens have been more consistent for me.