• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

need a good sling

pat4668

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2009
iowa
im looking for a new sling for my build, it will go on a mcm a5 stock. any ideas wuts the best in the field, i was looking at possibly a tab elite gun sling wut do ya guys suggest. thanks

Re: need a good sling

I called Steve at Triad tactical with basically this same exact question and his recommendation was the Tactical Intervention slip cuff sling, which I now own. The TAB sling buckles can get in the way when used as a "hasty" sling where you just wrap the sling around your arm in a hurry. As you well know though, opinions are like.....

The buckles get in the way when used as a hasty sling? Interesting, I've never heard that before, did Steve tell you that Wayne?

Pat you don't have to buy an Elite sling to have a great sling either, the Fastex buckles work great.

Good luck with your search.

yea i like the way it looks but dont know anyone who has one to find out how good it really is, and want something better than the cheap 5 dollar sling i have

Well that may not have been the exact words, get in the way or are uncomfortable. Either way the general idea is that the buckles can be inconvenient if you don't need such a sling. However it came out I bought the TI slip cuff sling.
smile.gif

No worries, and no drama. Look at what's on the market, if you don't have access to one ask for different opinions and pick the one that works for you.

Good luck in your search.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pat4668</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea im seriously thinking of one without the buckles tho</div></div>

well.....it'll prolly make for a nice wind drift indicator too!

I have 4 TAB slings - I can't think of where the buckles ever got in the way of anything. I teach positional shooting almost every weekend with no buckle issues.

Tony has 3 models of TAB sling,

1 with Fastex Buckles,

1 with Cobra Buckles

1 with No Buckles

And now the new Biathlon Sling which was debuted at SHOT SHOW.

Really, all you have to do is ask, but a little mis-information is good for the soul I am told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...And now the new Biathlon Sling which was debuted at SHOT SHOW...</div></div>

Can you or Tony post a pic

Out of all the slings on the market I have used. I like the Tactical Intervention quick cuff sling the best.

All the slings work, but for me the TIS works best.

John

Love the TAB sling. Just bought another at SHOT this past week. Never had anything get in the way while using it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The buckles get in the way when used as a hasty sling? Interesting, I've never heard that before, did Steve tell you that Wayne?
</div></div>

It may have been me Tony. If he heard it from me, it was definatly prefaced with plenty of disclaimers about it being the opinion of one person, based on a small exposure.

People, there is NOTHING wrong with the TAB sling. During the time that I have been selling TAB slings, I have had exactly one customer that returned the sling because they did not like it. Right then, right there, it was not working for me. I don’t know, it must be the combination of the gorilla length arms, wrists of a 12 year old and lack of knowledge.

I used a TAB Sling on my GAP during several days in the field during deer seasons this year. I adjusted it to the correct carry length when on my shoulder. When I did this, the front buckle would hit my wrist every time I went for a simple wrap. I tried to adjust the sling, but could not overcome it. My next time in the field, I switched back to my Slip Cuff, with which I don’t have the problem. I know that TAB makes them without the buckles, but that was not an option at the time.

I wanted to have time for professional instruction from you at SHOT, but it was just too hectic, and I was quickly diverted towards the newer items that you had on display.

Looking forward to getting my next order of TAB slings :)

Like I said before, it was just a simple comment on the buckles of the TAB sling, nothing more than that. Simply an observation from someone who had the sling. No bashing or anything meant by it. My mistake for mentioning where this info came from.

No problem Steve, but if a TAB GEAR sling with buckles is hitting a guys wrist when he's wrapped up in a hasty sling situation more than likely the sling is on the rifle backward with the stiff section up front instead of at the butt of the rifle.

The front buckle is about 20 inches from the front swivel when the sling is installed correctly, so there's no way you're going to have a buckle hitting your wrist in a hasty sling.

If the sling is put on backward then the first buckle will be about 4 inches from the swivel and will definitely hit the wrist in a hasty sling wrap.

It's not a problem Wayne we just need to get the correct information to the public about the sling. Maybe I need to show some pictures on the site of the sling actually on a person to help people visualize the correct installation.

Must be something else Tony. First thing I did was set the length of the front end so I could shoot from the loop in sitting.

I'll try this; as soon as I get out from under the pile of orders from last week, I set the sling up on the rifle again and try to recreate it. When I do, I reach out to you and we can walk through it together.

Enjoyed talking to you and Andrew at SHOT, wish we all had more time.

I have a TIS, 1903, and a TAB, the TAB is the easiest to use, the easiest to get in and out of, the most comfortable, its design comes from people from all over the world, and like all TAB Gear, its everything you need and nothing you don't!

TAB sling. Primarily because I set it up and rarely have to re-adjust. I set up the loop for my medium high kneeling position and adjust the carry portion for a cross body carry. Been using a TAB for a while now and never had an issue with a buckle getting in the way.

I also own several TIS slings. The biggest problem lately is they clutter and collect dust. Other than that they had their place but the TAB sling proved to work a lot better.

My suggestion is to link up with someone who will let you check them out before you buy. For all you know we are a bunch of couch commandos so take everything with a grain of salt... Unless it comes from Team Blaster, those dudes are rock stars!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all you know we are a bunch of couch commandos so take everything with a grain of salt.</div></div>
Internet quote of the year! It seems like a lot of people (probably myself included sometimes) think that since it's on the internet, it must be gospel. I'm not so sure this is always the case.

I have both slings and I have no issue with either. I can't say that you would go wrong with either a TAB or TIS. I am sure like many things on this site there are people with preferences with both products. In my eyes I would not hesitate to get a TAB or TIS. IMHO of course.

I use TIS Slip Cuff sling and it has serve me well. Fast to use and works well even at winter times.

I might get a TAB sling for my next rifle but TIS is still good sling no doubt about it.

I currently have a TIS quick cuff, however I'm now wanting one with the loop built in.

I'm debating wether to get the TAB without buckles or a Slip Cuff ... Is there much difference between them? I'm probably leaning towards the TAB atm

also, can the HK/AI style hooks be used with normal studs?