• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Need advice on first thermal purchase

freedom71

Lawprof
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Raleigh NC
Looking for recommendations for a thermal scope or clip-on. This is my first NV/thermal purchase, so I would greatly appreciate your help. Here are my criteria:
  • Will use on small and large-frame ARs (5.56 and .308).
  • Primary use is defensive, not hunting.
  • Don't necessarily need video recording capability, but would like an LRF
  • Can be either a scope or clip-on. The latter would be used with a 2-10 or 4-16 or 3-20 scope.
  • Budget: $3500
I've looked at scopes from AGM, Bering, Guide, and PARD. Since this primarily is for emergency defensive occasions in a suburban area with large lots and not for regular hunting, I have to balance cost vs. frequency of use. Am I foolish for wanting a thermal mainly for defensive use?

Again, thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and recommendations.

Am I foolish for wanting a thermal mainly for defensive use?

Nope -but, you might want to ALSO get some sort of NV - a PVS-14 is fine. This will significantly upgrade your PID-ability when engaging critters that might shoot back.

With a thermal you can detect critters you might not even be able to see with NV. And you can PID whether something is a hunting/critter control target almost all the time.

For strickly defensive purposes a PVS-14 and an coti and a laser might be fine. But that will push your budget up to $7k. It gets you thermal and NV on your head. But to get both NV and thermal, it doesn't get much cheaper than that. And if your purpose includes possible engagement with critters that might shoot back, you want both.

The big question is "How are you gonna train ?" Without continuous regular training - the gadgets won't do you much good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogtown
The big question is "How are you gonna train ?" Without continuous regular training - the gadgets won't do you much good.

Exactly. The owner of my local outdoor gun range has started opening the range on various nights for training and practice. That's one reason I'm interested in getting started now.

"Critters that might shoot back" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: wigwamitus
Training on a "square range" is necessary ... but not sufficient. You need to "take yourself out of your comfort zone" - as often and as far as possible within practical constraints. Starting by learning defensive/home defense with pistol/carbine in the daytime will get you some of that.

You will use thermal a lot more if you are simply looking for live objects with 2 or 4 legs. It is great for scanning. For hunting animals, thermal is usually the most advantageous. You will use NV a lot more if you wish to walk or drive and want help with navigation or to PID those 2 or 4 legged objects. Many like to stargaze with NV as well.

If you do end with thermal, I would probably recommend a compact thermal with a QD mount that could be used as a scanner and/or on a gun. However, in doing this adding the LRF function often adds weight and bulk that makes hand-held use less desirable as well as increases the cost.