• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need ammo advice for .243

Benaj

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2019
St George, Utah
Hello everyone, I am looking for some guidance on a good round for killing small predators at short range.
The application is for predators (fox, etc.) that are going after the chickens. The coops are about 10 yards from the house, so the shots are likely to be from 10-75 yards, any further and the trees get in the way.
Since nighttime is the most common time for them to be out, I am sure perfect shot placement will be an issue, so expansion could be important.

Thanks!

I presently shoot Coyotes with Nosler 70gr Balistics Tip in mine. Loaded ammo is hard to find though at the moment. I reload with 41.5 gr Varget and get ~ 3375 fps out of a 22inch Ruger American barrel.

If you hit them in the ribs at the range you are shooting, then it won't go through, a gut shot tends to blow them up.

For loaded ammo the Sierra Blitz King (70gr) is available and has pretty much the same performance.

Reactions: Benaj
What range does the 87g shoot?
IMG_9576.jpg

Straight from hornadys website.

• Love
Reactions: Benaj
A 243 inside of 100yds, honestly I don’t think it matters what you shoot. Thats a really fast bullet coming out.

I used to use a 243 for coyotes at extended range, and the 75 vmax loaded on the warm side…. Was punishing. There wasn’t much left. I’m an east coast guy where the dogs get big (up to 75 pounds) and the 243 laid them down with authority even out to 450 yards.

^^^ I'm with him. I was gonna say use something explosive like V-max, but really, for a small predator at such close range, a .243 is such overkill it's not gonna matter. Speed kills. Just use the round the gun likes best so you can get the most accurate shot. For me at that range, I'd go for a .223.