Need another .50 - DTA HTI, AI AX 50, or McM Tac50

krecon1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2003
Abq, NM
Going to be purchasing another 50 here in next week or so - or at least put the order in for it. I currently have an older Barrett M99 (with 33" barrel) and have owned a Robar RC50 in the past, so I am not new to the .50 game.

I've narrowed it down to the DTA, AI, or McMillan. Cost isn't really a main concern and they're all within $3-4k of each other. The DTA being the least expensive and the AI the most.

I currently have a AI AX in .338 Lapua and thought it would be nice to have a somewhat matching set of long range rifles and that's where the AI AX 50 fits in. McMillan has an operational history and their guns are proven. DTA's HTI is the newcomer, though all reports seem very favorable. I don't need the caliber conversion, but having a bullpup and shorter/lighter package is the advantage there.

I live in the middle of the high desert and my range has a dedicated 1k range - BLM land is all around and I can reach out as needed.

If I had to pick one today it would probably be the HTI due to the length and weight, but I'd like to get some other input before I drop some serious coin on another rifle.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need another .50 - DTA HTI, AI AX 50, or McM Tac50

Having only handled the HTI, my vote is biased, and goes to the HTI. I never liked the looks of the McM, it looks "gay" for lack of a better word. The Barret's are overpriced for what you get, as far as I can tell. The AI looks as good as I imagine it functions, all at some cost though. I love DTA rifles, and call me a fanboy, but they just plain shoot!

I don't have the hti, but I do have the srs and have been to dta's shop and handled the hti, and it feels solid. After seeing the results of the 3000 yard shooting with the hti in 375 cheytac, it seems like a pretty convincing platform. Plus, they have been amazing to me with regards to their customer service. No repairs, just putting up with the endless questions and continually going out of their way to not only sell the high priced items, but random accessories as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: golden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After seeing the results of the 3000 yard shooting with the hti in 375 cheytac, it seems like a pretty convincing platform. </div></div>

I was there, very impressive.

The HTI has 10 lbs less weight and about half the brake of the 99. It is a "business" weapon, not a pleasure weapon. It gives a pretty good wallop of recoil, but the impulse is low and straight back.

The DTA bipod and monopod work unbelievably well. You can actually get right back on target for a follow up shot.

I've owned the McM, the EDM, and shot ALL the Barretts side-side in the same session w/ the McM. All of those are gone and the HTI stays.

Only thing left to do is get a 375 barrel and bolt for it.