• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need help finding a scope mount for Kimber .22

Re: Need help finding a scope mount for Kimber .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPER-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of u know where,and if, thier is a 1913 pic. rail mount
that will fit a Kimber SVT .22 bolt gun?
20 MOA 1 would be nice.
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you find one please post up the source.

Thanks
Pat </div></div>
Are these for actual <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"> <span style="text-decoration: underline">"Kimber .22"</span></span></span> SVTs? (Yonkers, NY Kimbers), or for old Kimber of Oregon/Kimber of America, Oregon-based SVTs? The Yonkers, NY Kimbers and the Oregon Kimber companies and their respective rifles are totally different, and parts and accessories are not interchangable. As far as scope bases/mounts go, the screw locations and ring centers are different between the old and new guns.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Kimber .22"</span> is the correct name for the .22 caliber rifles previously sold by the Yonkers, NY-based Kimber of America. If you have a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber .22</span></span> rifle, USO makes a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber .22 One Piece 20 MOA Picatinny Rail</span></span> to fit it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The old</span> <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber of Oregon"</span> (originally based in Colton, Oregon, and later in Clackamas, Oregon) .22 caliber rifles were known as <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Model 82</span></span>s'. Later, <span style="font-style: italic">Kimber of America</span> (based in Clackamas, Oregon) also used the "Model 82" designation for their .22 caliber rifles.

While in business, the old Kimber company was briefly located in another town in Oregon as well. However, the bottom-line is that if you have a Kimber Model 82 (Oregon-based Kimber), you are out-of-luck.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber sells a proprietary mount for their .22 rifles. You'll need to buy one from them. BTDT. </div></div>
Dude, are you trying to up your 30 posts or what? Did you even bother reading the original post by <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SNIPER-2</span></span>?:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPER-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of u know where,and if, thier is a 1913 pic. rail mount
that will fit a Kimber SVT .22 bolt gun?
20 MOA 1 would be nice.
</div></div>
The OP (<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SNIPER-2</span></span>), as well as the first member to reply (<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MtGoat</span></span>)want 20 MOA Picatinny Rails for their Kimber SVTs'. Neither of the Kimber companies ever made a Picatinny Rail for their .22s', let alone a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail for them.

Next time please try reading the original post before you respond. And it might not even kill you to read the other <span style="font-weight: bold">TWO</span> posts before yours. You might actually find the info useful.

Keith

If it is an 82 svt the radius of the top of the receiver is the same as an Anschutz, If it has the 11 mm dovetail you could use one of the anschutz 20 moa rails from rimfire technologies, heres the link http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=49

if its drilled and tapped they or you could probaly modify one of the anschutz rails by drilling the wholes in locations you need, hope this helps

Thanks,
they are way overpriced. But do shoot good in my kimber svt.
But so do the $8./ per 100 CCI min-mags.
Thank for the post
Sniper-2

RT offered to see if one of their bases would fit. I just need to find my digital calipers and get the dovetail measured as well as a few other measurements. If I wasn't such a lazy butt I would just drive up and drop the rifle off...it would be easier
smile.gif
(even if it is a 8 hour drive one way)

Pat

My Kimber is a Classic and has a round receiver...no dovetail. Is the SVT the same configuration? I believe my Classic came with the two piece base and it looks like I have Millet off-set rings. I would still like a picatinney base with 20moa cant but it has been awhile since the Kimber has seen the light of day....been shooting the Quad recently.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RT offered to see if one of their bases would fit. I just need to find my digital calipers and get the dovetail measured as well as a few other measurements. If I wasn't such a lazy butt I would just drive up and drop the rifle off...it would be easier
smile.gif
(even if it is a 8 hour drive one way)

Pat </div></div>

Let me know if you want to take a road trip Pat . We can stop in and say Hi to Redtac while we are in the area
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kimber is a Classic and has a round receiver...no dovetail. Is the SVT the same configuration? I believe my Classic came with the two piece base and it looks like I have Millet off-set rings. I would still like a picatinney base with 20moa cant but it has been awhile since the Kimber has seen the light of day....been shooting the Quad recently.

Pat </div></div>
OK, you have a "Classic" model instead of an SVT. While good to know unfortunately that doesn't tell us what we need to know to determine if the USO rail will work for you or <span style="font-weight: bold">SNIPER-2</span>. I can see this spinning out-of-control unless I try to cut to the chase and make things a lot less complicated - saving me a lot of explaining/typing and a lot of reading here. I know that most people don't bother reading through posts anyway. Oregon Kimbers varied widely in configuration and options and there is no reason for me to delve into that here.

What is stamped into the left side of the receiver opposite the ejection port? Does it read <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL Oregon Kimbers will read <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span></span>, whereas <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL (Yonkers) New York Kimbers will read <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span>.</span>

If you have a NEW KIMBER (a Yonkers, NY rifle that has "Kimber 22" stamped into the left side of the receiver opposite the ejection port), the 1-Piece 20 MOA Picatinny Rail that USO sells <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> fit. I say should because the USO 1-Piece 20 MOA Picatinny Rail's screw centers and screw spacing is different than on the Oregon Kimbers, which are 4.000" from the centerline of the FRONTMOST hole to the centerline of the REARMOST hole, and .500" CTC for each pair.

I do not have a NY Kimber and have thus not fitted the USO Picatinny Rail on one, but I know that the screw centers and spacing are different from the Oregon guns.

You can also measure, just to be sure:

(1) Measure the centers of the two FRONT base mounting holes (the two front-most holes). Are they .500"?

(2) Measure the centers of the two REAR base mounting holes (the two rear-most holes). Are these also .500"?

(3) Measure the centers of the FRONTMOST and the REARMOST base mounting holes (screwholes #1 and #4 front-to-back). If this measurement is 4.000" you have an Oregon-based Kimber Model 82. Logically, the centers of screwholes #2 and #3 (the two "middle holes") will be 3.000".

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kimber is a Classic and has a round receiver...no dovetail. Is the SVT the same configuration? I believe my Classic came with the two piece base and it looks like I have Millet off-set rings. I would still like a picatinney base with 20moa cant but it has been awhile since the Kimber has seen the light of day....been shooting the Quad recently.

Pat </div></div>
OK, you have a "Classic" model instead of an SVT. While good to know unfortunately that doesn't tell us what we need to know to determine if the USO rail will work for you or <span style="font-weight: bold">SNIPER-2</span>. I can see this spinning out-of-control unless I try to cut to the chase and make things a lot less complicated - saving me a lot of explaining/typing and a lot of reading here. I know that most people don't bother reading through posts anyway. Oregon Kimbers varied widely in configuration and options and there is no reason for me to delve into that here.

What is stamped into the left side of the receiver opposite the ejection port? Does it read <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL Oregon Kimbers will read <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber Model 82"</span></span>, whereas <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL (Yonkers) New York Kimbers will read <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span>.</span>

If you have a NEW KIMBER (a Yonkers, NY rifle that has "Kimber 22" stamped into the left side of the receiver opposite the ejection port), the 1-Piece 20 MOA Picatinny Rail that USO sells <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> fit. I say should because the USO 1-Piece 20 MOA Picatinny Rail's screw centers and screw spacing is different than on the Oregon Kimbers, which are 4.000" from the centerline of the FRONTMOST hole to the centerline of the REARMOST hole, and .500" CTC for each pair.

I do not have a NY Kimber and have thus not fitted the USO Picatinny Rail on one, but I know that the screw centers and spacing are different from the Oregon guns.

(1) Measure the centers of the two FRONT base mounting holes (the two front-most holes). Are they .500"?

(2) Measure the centers of the two REAR base mounting holes (the two rear-most holes). Are these also .500"?

(3) Measure the centers of the FRONTMOST and the REARMOST base mounting holes (screwholes #1 and #4 front-to-back). If this measurement is 4.000" you have an Oregon-based Kimber Model 82. Logically, the centers of screwholes #2 and #3 (the two "middle holes") will be 3.000".

Keith </div></div>

Never said that I have an Oregon Kimber..."Kimber" typically refers to the current (or until recently) Kimber of America. Never have seen a Kimber of Oregon SVT do believe that was a Kimber USA model only. Not quite sure why you keep bringing up Kimber of Oregon as neither of us have ever referred to a Kimber of Oregon model 82. If you believe that your mount will fit a Kimber of America action I can certainly try to measure the hole spacing and action diameter(as much as possible without removing the scope as the mount is not nearly as user friendly as the picatinney rail available now days).

Pat

Without removing the action from the stock it looks like the receiver diameter is 1.140" OAL action length is 5.300", rear of action to the back of the ejection port is 2.485", front of action to front of ejection port is 1.475".

I can't measure the action scope mounting holes without removing the scope rings and two piece base. It looks like the rear mount center is .9" from the rear of the receiver front one pretty much looks centered but is tough to tell. Someone without a scope mounted may be able to provide additional information.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> I've cut n' pasted quotes so everyone can see the posts without having to scroll in the window, as I find that a PITA. Now...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kimber is a Classic and has a round receiver...no dovetail. Is the SVT the same configuration? I believe my Classic came with the two piece base and it looks like I have Millet off-set rings. I would still like a picatinney base with 20moa cant but it has been awhile since the Kimber has seen the light of day....been shooting the Quad recently.

Pat </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Keith </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never said that I have an Oregon Kimber...</div></div>
Hold-on a second - lets' get something straight here. I never said you said you have an Oregon Kimber, and from what you've written, i.e., the way you've replied to my posts you are unfamiliar enough with Kimber rifles and their various configurations and options not to realize that the name <span style="font-style: italic">"Classic"</span> describes a specific, very popular model of rifle produced by all iterations of Kimber from the Kimber of Oregon guns all the way through to and including the later Yonkers, NY guns (Kimber, USA). So, you have now alluded that you have a NY-based Kimber .22. As I stated earlier, the NY-based Kimber .22-caliber rifles models are called "Kimber .22s'.

I'm trying to help you and impart a little knowledge here for the benefit of all - not bust your balls. Therefore, I'd appreciate it if you would stop trying to bust mine as you don't have a leg to stand-on here.

That said, I think we may have misunderstood each other. When you said <span style="font-style: italic">"My Kimber is a Classic and has a round receiver...no dovetail"</span> I thought that you were saying that you have a model of Kimber called the <span style="font-style: italic">"Classic"</span>, (as opposed to having an <span style="font-style: italic">SVT</span>).

However, merely having a round receiver does not automatically tell anyone that your rifle is a NY-based "Kimber .22". Plenty of Oregon-based Kimbers came from the factory with "Roundtop" receivers. The use of dovetailed receivers was not limited to the early Model 82 rifles. Kimber used what they had in stock at the time, and the .Model 82s' as well as Model 84 centerfires were produced with both "Roundtop" and grooved receivers.

The Classic was the most popular and is the most commonly found model of Kimber rifle ever produced, and as I stated earlier the <span style="font-style: italic">Classic</span> was produced by all the iterations of Kimber from the Kimber of Oregon guns all the way through to and including the later Yonkers, NY guns (Kimber, USA).

From what you've said now I see that you may have been referring to your NY-based Kimber rifle as a "Classic", BTW, while in Oregon Kimber was also known as "Kimber of America". This is confusing, as the NY-based Kimber also called itself "Kimber of America".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Kimber" typically refers to the current (or until recently) Kimber of America.</div></div>
Really, since when? Who made-up that rule? I must have missed the memo. Are you aware that the second, Oregon-based Kimber was known as "Kimber of America", before the NY-based Kimber ever came into being?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never have seen a Kimber of Oregon SVT do believe that was a Kimber USA model only.</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">You</span></span> may have never seen a Kimber of Oregon SVT, but I assure that they were produced. I do not own one, but I have seen them in the past. They were offered in both fluted stainess and non-fluted CM barrels. Kimber actually produced models that were never cataloged, and, I'm told -cataloged models they never actually produced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not quite sure why you keep bringing up Kimber of Oregon as neither of us have ever referred to a Kimber of Oregon model 82.</div></div>
Neither of you ever stated that your rifles were not Oregon-based guns either, and from what you have posted it appears that you may not have known the origin of your rifle yourself, until now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you believe that your mount will fit a Kimber of America action I can certainly try to measure the hole spacing and action diameter(as much as possible without removing the scope as the mount is not nearly as user friendly as the picatinney rail available now days).

Pat </div></div>
"My mount"? What mount is that? Read my posts again and you will see that I only said that USO has a 1-Piece 20 MOA Picatinny Rail for the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber .22"</span></span>. Again, only the NY-based guns are named <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber .22"</span></span>. I never said that I own one of these mounts. In fact, I stated that <span style="font-style: italic">"I do not have a NY Kimber and have thus not fitted the USO Picatinny Rail on one, but I know that the screw centers and spacing are different from the Oregon guns."</span>

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Keith

I only asked Sniper-2 to let me know if he found a mount for his SVT...thought that was pretty simple request. I know a bit about Kimber and their lineage having owned several of each (Oregon and Yonkers NY...and Coopers too if you want to stretch the Kimber lineage a bit) but again I was simply asking Sniper-2 to let me kow if he found a canted mount for his rifle. It would appear that US Optics makes a 20 MOA scope mount for a Kimber labeled Yonkers NY....seems pretty simple answer for such a lengthy post.

Sniper-2....try US Optics as they may have one available...Done.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only asked Sniper-2 to let me know if he found a mount for his SVT...thought that was pretty simple request. I know a bit about Kimber and their lineage having owned several of each (Oregon and Yonkers NY...and Coopers too if you want to stretch the Kimber lineage a bit)</div></div>
And yet...even with your professed ownership experience with various examples of the Kimber lineage - both Oregon and NY, by reading the bolded sentences in this quote of you it is apparent that you were not knowledgable enough about Kimbers to know that the Classic and SVT models were manufactured on both "Roundtop" and grooved receivers, or that the Classic and SVT were available from both Oregon and NY-based Kimber companies:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">My Kimber is a Classic and has a round receiver...no dovetail. Is the SVT the same configuration?</span> I believe my Classic came with the two piece base and it looks like I have Millet off-set rings. I would still like a picatinney base with 20moa cant but it has been awhile since the Kimber has seen the light of day....been shooting the Quad recently.

Pat </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but again I was simply asking Sniper-2 to let me kow if he found a canted mount for his rifle. It would appear that US Optics makes a 20 MOA scope mount for a Kimber labeled Yonkers NY....<span style="font-weight: bold">seems pretty simple answer for such a lengthy post.</span>

Sniper-2....try US Optics as they may have one available...Done.

Pat </div></div>
And yet, for <span style="font-style: italic">"a pretty simple answer"</span> which should have been gleaned from my first post in this thread you are finally able to grasp this. None of my subsequent posts in this thread should have been needed and would not have been long if you had displayed enough knowledge and comprehension that additional posts, and more depth wasn't necessary.

OK, I've had enough turkey...

Keith

Keith,

You are what you eat
wink.gif

spot69221,

Thanks I will keep them in mind. Rimfire Technologies appears to have them as well with a 25 moa cant (maybe, they are checking stock) so there are several options available

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith,

<span style="font-style: italic">You are what you eat</span>
wink.gif

spot69221,

Thanks I will keep them in mind. Rimfire Technologies appears to have them as well with a 25 moa cant (maybe, they are checking stock) so there are several options available

Pat </div></div>
Oh gee, you're too witty...NOT. A day late and a dollar short. Good luck.

Keith

From what you've said now I see that you may have been referring to your NY-based Kimber rifle as a "Classic", BTW, while in Oregon Kimber was also known as "Kimber of America". This is confusing, as the NY-based Kimber also called itself "Kimber of America".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Kimber" typically refers to the current (or until recently) Kimber of America.</div></div>
Really, since when? Who made-up that rule? I must have missed the memo. Are you aware that the second, Oregon-based Kimber was known as "Kimber of America", before the NY-based Kimber ever came into being?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never have seen a Kimber of Oregon SVT do believe that was a Kimber USA model only.</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">You</span></span> may have never seen a Kimber of Oregon SVT, but I assure that they were produced. I do not own one, but I have seen them in the past. They were offered in both fluted stainess and non-fluted CM barrels. Kimber actually produced models that were never cataloged, and, I'm told -cataloged models they never actually produced.

End of quote

I am an avid KoO collector and I can tell you the first rule of Kimber collecting,"there are no rules" They made stuff that was never in the catolog on a regular basis. I have a few that should not exist and have seen many more that shouldn't, Greg Warne would do anything for money. Here is a link to a picture of a KoA in Oregon 82C svt http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242990&page=10

Here's a brief rundown of the history of Kimber from another thread I posted it on.

Kimber of Oregon was actually the first two companies. The A are what we refer to as the first incarnation of Kimber of Oregon. Next came the 2nd generation/incarnation of Kimber of Oregon, we refer to these as the B guns, incidently most people feel the B guns were the best ever made. Then kimber folded again, and in comes the Edlemans, the company now became Kimber of America in Oregon, these are refered to as the C guns, although some used leftover B parts, the C was a cheapened version of the B, these are recognizable by the rubber buttplate, this is also the period of time Greg Warne left his company forever, rumor has it fights with his partners over quality and the basterization of the Kimber name, putting it on the junk Mausers and the Daewoo rifles, and cheapining the Kimber 82C drove him out. Finally the Edlemans moved Kimber of America to Yonkers NY, these are known as NY guns, These really have no real ties to the ol Kimber of Oregon except the name . Hope this helps, guys if I left anything out please add to it or correct me.Kimber of Oregon serial numbers are a whole new ball of wax. No they didn't run perfectly in order, there were letters in some, some were just numbers, the first 1000 customer were allowed to reserve their number in the begining and the future, they and anyone else you could request any serial number you wanted, you could also have initals or other letters as a prefix or postfix. That being said I would say that the rifle you saw is probaly an early A model, but impossible to tell for sure without pics. Did the rifle have a bolt release, was the bolt dished out with a turndown right before the ball, did it have a camfer on the front of the reciever near the barrel, was the receiver tang round or was it more like a squared off arrow head? These are also some of the indicators that would place the year and the series. To determin the model we have quite a few more questions, like is there a forend tip, is the receiver groved for rings or drill and tapped for bases, does it have a cheekpiece, is it monte carlo style, does the buttplate wrap over the top, are the sling swivels inletted, etc, etc, etc. Since your new just remember the Kimber collectors golden rule, "THERE ARE NO RULES WITH KIMBER OF OREGON".

Hope this helps if anyone else is a Kimber fan, Rich

Pat,
first, I'm sorry 2 start this.
I spoke 2 Bob @ Rimfire Tec. He said he had spoke 2 U also though pm's
about the mesurements of the rec.
Just wanted to ask if he found something that would work?
I think $160./ is a bit high for a .22 base.(USO)
you can PM me if you like.
-MIKE

Sniper-2,

To really complicate matters, all Kimber's (Yonkers Kimber 22's) are not equal.

I have Kimber Hunter Silhouette 22 LR, made in Yonkers. I also was looking for Picatinny 20 MOA bases. My serial number is 069xx.

I was told by Kimber to buy Warne's two piece base Model 889/843. Nope those have 8-40 screws (which they went to around serial # 9000) while mine has 6-48's. I returned those to Warne and received Model 842/842, and Kimber now confirmed it by my serial number via conference call with Warne.

Nope, wrong hole spacing. Back they went to Warne. Finally after about a hour on the phone with a Warne tech (and they were very helpful, unlike Kimber), they sent me a pair of bases made for a Cooper 21, 36, 38 & 57 marked 888/842. And those fit.

Yes they are 0 MOA bases, but I used Burris Signature Zee Rings w/ the plastic inserts and get my 20 MOA that way.

So it's hard to tell what in the hell will fit a Kimber 22lr made in Yonkers, because they made at least 3 variations, with different screws and hole spacing....

Good Luck,

Bob

Bob,
thanks, that's somthing to look into if the 20MOA rail fall through.
I work long hrs. So I'm not able to put the time in on the phone.
That's why I post here. I know that people like U have went throught
the same thing, and there post save the leg time. "thank God for sniper hide".
I do thank all who took the time to replay to my post.
-MIKE